The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 11:50:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Wire Glue" in lieu of solder?  (Read 2170 times)
markf
Goggleologist
United States United States

« on: March 26, 2009, 01:56:26 pm »

Has anyone tried this for small project?  In theory it sounds like a worthy idea.  markf
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/b70c/
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 02:34:17 pm »

Wow that looks really good Shocked but it'll never replace solder in my book Smiley working with a burning hot rod of metal and shiny molten solder metal is much cooler Wink

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
stockton_joans
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 04:02:27 pm »

burning hot and cooler, you must surly be mistaken Tongue

Stockton Joans:
Gentleman
Tinkerer
Part time Illithid hunter
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 05:21:33 pm »

It's nothing new really, they were using something very similar to attach the original carbon lamp filaments to the platinum lead in wires.

Interesting though, it could be handy for certain applications that make soldering impracticable. Smiley

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 05:33:40 pm »

Hinting much there SS Wink Can it survive that kind of heat?
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 09:29:46 pm »

Hinting much there SS Wink Can it survive that kind of heat?

It should do, depending on what the 'glue' is made with...  The ends of the filament are pretty cool compared to the glowing part, as the heat is radiated off by the lead in wires.

From what I can find out about this stuff, it seems it has a fairly high resistance, but not too high that it would cause problems for a filament lamp, and it seems to be able to handle fairly high temperature (has been heated to 200 deg C with out problems - improved the resistance too). It also is water based, so after the glue is dried I would heat the glue in an oven to dry out any remaining moisture, and also any other parts of the glue that may evaporate at high temperature, which could contaminate the bulb (as I recall, this was a step that was also done with the original carbon lamps...).

So it seems like a good option to test, and it's cheap enough too. Smiley

SS
Captain Quinlin Hopkins
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 06:59:08 pm »

Would be very interested to see the binder in this.  I'm experimenting with pure carbon with binder that's acceptable to 3000c.  You never know what you can run into until the needs pops up.  Trying to marry this with carbon fiber cloth to produce something more resilient.  Carrier appears to be Furfuryl alcohol which aids in the bonding.  Haven't had access to the autoclave lately so those experiments are on hiatus.  Was just today thinking about this application for making a few leyden jars for a wimhurst i'm about to build. 

Sincerely,
Captain Quinlin Hopkins (Hoppy)

Do not ignore the freedoms of someone else, for eventually you will be someone else! 

DFW Steampunk Illumination Society
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 11:38:51 am »

Where the hell was this stuff 2 years ago when I killed my Steampunk PDA Elesa. I wonder how fine you can glue with this stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: