The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 10:05:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fob watch woes (not the title of a steampunk blues song, but should be)  (Read 1206 times)
stockton_joans
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 18, 2009, 03:18:24 pm »

i have recently purchased a pocket watch but it has a problem, it stops, most nights at about 11pm and sometimes at other times as well, the battery was freshly put in when i brought it and if i pull the adjusting knob (i don't know the correct title, but its the bit you use to set the time) and put it back again the watch starts again, any ideas oh wise ones?

Stockton Joans:
Gentleman
Tinkerer
Part time Illithid hunter
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 05:47:28 pm »

In quartz (battery) watches, that's usually symptomatic of a problem with the date change mechanism. Does your watch have a date display?

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
stockton_joans
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 06:03:00 pm »

nope, just hours, minutes and seconds
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 07:19:20 pm »

Then the other possibility is that the stepper motor train is defective, or the cannon pinion has an issue.  If it was an inexpensive watch,  it may not be repairable, as most of the low-end plastic movements are menat to be replaed, and not repaired. Was there a warranty?

Cheers
Harold
stockton_joans
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:22:46 pm »

nope, it was £5 from the local market, i may have to strip it to its component parts and try and fix it use them for prop accessories
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 07:34:12 pm »

on that, be aware that you may not find much useful in the movement for parts, very few and extremely (under a few mm) gears, and one snall coil and stepper motor..

Cheers
Harodl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: