The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 05:14:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grumpy Old* Men*  (Read 22126 times)
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2009, 10:55:29 pm »

As long as  you can find wilted cheese roll covered in clingfilm standing next to a tea urn the spirit of BR will live on

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Engineer
Zeppelin Captain

The League of Bournemouth Steampunks

« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2009, 11:44:46 pm »

As long as  you can find wilted cheese roll covered in clingfilm standing next to a tea urn the spirit of BR will live on
And remember the infamous British Rail steak and kidney pie - an item that still defies archaeologists to accurately date and will kill anyone with a constitution less than that of a concrete rhinoceros!
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #252 on: June 06, 2009, 11:43:54 am »

Even that paled in comparison to their pork pie which was successfully used in hand to hand combat on some of the football specials
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #253 on: June 06, 2009, 12:55:07 pm »

I'm told the coating of margarine on their sandwiches was actually less than a single atom thick.  Undecided

And that they could keep a pot of cofftea warm for years at a time, waiting for some poor bugger to come along and try it.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2009, 01:03:12 pm »

And it was still better than what we have now
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2009, 03:09:58 pm »

Am I detecting a hint of nostalga, concerning the loss of B.R.?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2009, 06:44:54 pm »

Yes, I think we are.  Last time I went on a train long distance (Tuesday), there was no buffet car, just a trolley that trundled past at about 5,000 mph along the train with no chance of stopping it for a drink... when I finally managed to get food and drink (from Birmingham New Street) it was horrifically expensive, but at least edible. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2009, 09:28:36 pm »

I would prefer a decent rail network operated by a national company even if it did sell crap food tothe crazy multi layered and horrendously expensive system we have now.

I'm happy to make my own sandwiches
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2009, 09:37:01 pm »

The "Arrows of Indecision" date back to BR's new Corporate Image era in the '60s, when blue and grey became the norm. As such they have outlived their originators by some years now. I also notice that the actual paper/card tickets are exactly the same shape and colour as the final years of BR, despite being issued by privatised Train Operators

An era of crisp, elegant paintwork rather than the monstrosities perpetrated by the modern TOCs, who seem to think that hurling a bucket of paint at a train constitutes a buzzwordy new look. Even weirder are those such as One Anglia, who started with this rather handsome look:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/gb/electric/86/86_2/Anglia/86223-S18.jpg

and ended with this hideous excuse that suggests a raid on the bargain bin at the paint shop:
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/gb/car/Mk2/MK2-DBSO/one-dbso-strat-jp.jpg
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: