The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 07:34:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grumpy Old* Men*  (Read 22123 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 04:50:54 am »

Young (also some middle aged) people who do not know what pounds & ounces are, or L.S.D. for that matter.
Fake W.I. (West Indian) accents used by young white people usually male.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 04:53:05 am »

I have two sayings that come to mind frequently with the realisations of some of the people I regularly have to deal. I'm trying to curb these thoughts because they are somewhat abusive and unnesecarily cruel and I never say them to the person/people that insipre the thoughts but...

Time to thin the herd. (a referance to the fact that evolution often weeds out the weakest member of a heard in order that the fittest survive)

Stop breathing my air! (sometimes accompanied by: it's a finite resource and quite obviously wasted on the likes of you.)

It's horrible because I'm not really that type of person but just sometimes... gah. I'm gonna get out of here before I go off again.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 06:13:58 am »

"There are no 'difficult people,' only inconvenient corpses."

Just while we're on the topic of thoughts inspired by those around us...

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
clark
Officer

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 08:53:55 am »

I am not old, nor am I a man but I am very grumpy. The generation I am sadly a part of seems to gladly choose to be so intellectually impaired. I know so many whose parents give their children the opportunity to gain knowledge yet they decline the offer. Now, I will admit that I too have done this as I am sure a number of us have, but kids these day just don't care about anything unless it is something of material value! They have access to infinite knowledge and yet they decide to spend their time wasting hours on video games, and television, and on sites like myspace waiting for their friends to reply to comments. Again, I too have done these things but I pay attention in school while they are chatting away with each other or texting on their cellphones (then they complain that they are failing/and or claim that they will be going to collage while their grades are Fs or that they will have a high paying job in the next few years and they can hardly do math!). It's just so frustrating. The memories of a better, more sophisticated and intelligent era is right at their fingertips and yet if it hasn't been made into a movie with lots of sex and/or gore they refuse to see it. It's almost like the Dark Ages only instead of Christianity unifying the people it's violence, alcohol, and sex.
Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 10:18:25 am »

I am not old, nor am I a man but I am very grumpy. The generation I am sadly a part of seems to gladly choose to be so intellectually impaired. I know so many whose parents give their children the opportunity to gain knowledge yet they decline the offer. Now, I will admit that I too have done this as I am sure a number of us have, but kids these day just don't care about anything unless it is something of material value! They have access to infinite knowledge and yet they decide to spend their time wasting hours on video games, and television, and on sites like myspace waiting for their friends to reply to comments. Again, I too have done these things but I pay attention in school while they are chatting away with each other or texting on their cellphones (then they complain that they are failing/and or claim that they will be going to collage while their grades are Fs or that they will have a high paying job in the next few years and they can hardly do math!). It's just so frustrating. The memories of a better, more sophisticated and intelligent era is right at their fingertips and yet if it hasn't been made into a movie with lots of sex and/or gore they refuse to see it. It's almost like the Dark Ages only instead of Christianity unifying the people it's violence, alcohol, and sex.

At least while there are still young people like you around, there's hope for the future!

"Doctor Prunesquallor, with his hyena laugh, his bizarre and elegant body, his celluloid face. His main defects? The insufferable pitch of his voice; his maddening laughter and his affected gestures. His cardinal virtue? An undamaged brain."
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 11:17:12 am »

To be perfectly honest, I look at the people I left high school with and think that generally speaking my generation is a piss-poor effort and not worthy to succeed those who lay down their lives in the world wars.  They don't think for themselves, in many cases they can't spell and can barely read, and conversation with them is usually driven by profanity that would make a sailor blush.   
Sorry, but I do earnestly think that. 
I could start pointing a blaming finger, but that would probably be too politic and to be frank I don't see what good it would do. 
I have very low expectations for the future of society and I suspect there's very little point emigrating because wherever you go the youth of today have the same despondent nihilistic antipathetic ways. 
So long as they can have their latest mobile phone or xbox they just don't give a damn. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 05:58:59 pm »

Ladies, Gents, et al,

I am old, and I am a man...I used to be grumpy, but, really, what's the point? Yes, the current crop seems to be particularly useless, excepting the one in ten thousand who probably is a nascent SteamPunk, but what can one expect? They have been raised to believe that the world owes them a sumptuous buffet served on silver platters, their parents are far too often unwilling to discipline their "little darlings" for fear of "stunting their creativity," ( hah...how does one retard something which doesn't exist?) and they've been fed a steady diet of pure drivel. Fifteen years ago we had "Generation X".....nothing left after that except "Y" and "Z"...don't look now, but I think we're there.

Now you brats get offa my lawn!

Regards,
Thistlewaite
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 11:37:48 pm by Sgt.Major Thistlewaite » Logged

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 07:07:55 pm »

Alax for bing the Y Generation.  or as I like to call it the "me" generation.  If I have children, I intend to riase them with some manners and creativity.  Just like me they wont get a cell till high school, music player until middle school and they must earn their extras.  I also intend to keep them off of the computer until middle school at least, the internet has to many scary things.  /rant

Sorry about that, ranting about child raising and I'm seven-teen.

Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 08:33:05 pm »

What's with this flat-brimmed trucker hat cocked to one side with the sticker still on thing? I mean come on. Buddy of mines youngest sibling has one, so does another of my mates. I've been waiting for when they put their hats down unguarded, so I can covertly remove the damn sticker... It certainly isn't helping them hold their damn pants up.

And Cell phones piss me off. I don't have one, but I did for a while and I don't remember being that rude. Say your out with a few friends, or maybe it's just the two of you. Your cell goes off. You could at least say 'excuse me a second' before taking the call, instead of just suddenly ignoring the person your talking to and going right for the phone like a junkie. Texting is almost as bad.

All my friends do this. All I want is a 'Sorry, just a moment' or a simple 'excuse me' but apparently that's far too much to ask.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
E.A. Claringbold
Snr. Officer

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 08:38:30 pm »

Youths of today, as I find them, are mostly really rather rude. They don't follow common curtesies, such as letting people get off the public transportation before they get on, they don't put rubbish in the bin (right next to them, even!)

I know!!! Just yesterday had to pick my little sister up from SATprep class- and I walk in, it's an unfamiliar place. The first person I see, I quietly ask "Is that the SAT class" the girl doesn't answer me (no headphones, she even looked at me, nothing). I walk in there are people blocking the door. I have to say "excuse me" three times before I just push myself through. When i leave, it's the same. I have to say "excuse me" four times before I push myself through again and leave the building. But that's not the worse I've seen.

Ladies, Gents, et al,
part cut
Now you brats get offa my lawn!

Regards,
Thistlewaite

Yikes- he has a shotgun.
 Grin

Texting is almost as bad.

Yes. Yes, it is. D<
I swear- once in chemistry a girl sat next to me and through the whole lecture she was just texting. And then I hear a sort of grating sound and I'm like "what the--?". I turn to look and she's effin' filing her nails! To me, that's not only rude, but disgusting (doing that kind of thing in public). And then she goes back to texting.
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 12:15:01 am »

Yikes- he has a shotgun. 

Aye...10 gauge, double-barrel....
As I sit here, perusing Brass Goggles, sipping Absenthe from a cut crystal glass, contemplating the lack of appreciation on the part of today's youth for the finer things of life....well, you know, all things considered...it's their loss!

Cheers!

Thistlewaite
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 03:29:54 am »

Sat. Nav.
What is wrong with looking at maps?, just write a list of roads that you have to take to reach your destination.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 03:59:44 am »

I feel the same way about phone books. Give me a phone book, and I can find the number, make the call, finish the conversation and have a beer poured in the time it takes canada411.com to tell me it has no listing for that business.
Prof. Sine Weevil
Snr. Officer

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 04:46:20 pm »

hi all
i'm in my low 20's so strictly an adult. I don't disspare too much of the youth of today its not the youth i see some damn fine people in this world who as young and still question and are fascinated and can consider beauty.

i see the same amount of vapid retards in all ages. its not do do with class, money, academic abillity or skill either.

people always wory about the yourth as in the 16th century it was written (i hope to quote but will probably miss quote)
the youth of today drink too much ale and mead and have no respect for there elders

this to me vapid retardedness is summed up in the uk "chav/ned" culture who are basically pack animals with very little humanity if any left. will we see a new culture with these on top (they breed faster and more prolicly because there too dumb to use a jonny)? or are they more akin to a parasite draining the life out of society as a hole? and so carnt grow to big or the host will either die or remove it. or are we witnessing the berth of a new species of vampiric humans who feed on the efforts of others they will biologically have week ankles to sue when tripping over and long legs for more force when  face kicking of the granny 20 of them have just mugged.

there is no problem with mobile comunication, satnav. it is mearly there miss use, but like manners where do you learn these un written rules of what is and is not allowed. especially when the tech is new and no precedent exists (i treat my phone like smoking so if in a public space (especaily a public house Smiley ) and i need to make a call i go outside to do it . if this is not possible i try to do it as quietly or quickly as possible. i personally hate texting i find  realy hard, e.g. to arrange stuff when 30s on the phone can cover the same ground as say 10,20 texts. but is this acceptable?

[quote author=E.A. Claringbold link=topic=14589.msg296779#msg296779 date=1237059510

Yes. Yes, it is. D<
I swear- once in chemistry a girl sat next to me and through the whole lecture she was just texting. And then I hear a sort of grating sound and I'm like "what the--?". I turn to look and she's effin' filing her nails! To me, that's not only rude, but disgusting (doing that kind of thing in public). And then she goes back to texting.
[/quote]

personally i would have thought texting was fine i have always viewed a lecture as optional attention just don't disturb any one else. the lecturer talks at you not to you so surely occupying you self (texts, doodles, steam punk designs) is acceptable so long as it doesn't affect anyone elce?

any one fancy writing a steam punk book of manners and morals to aid navigation though this world teaming with fopars?

Whats that? not grumpy enough? ok WTF is the point in celeb magazines?they are big f***ing picture books! if i sat reading noddy in a public space i would be ridiculed! yet i spent several hours in A&E  reading "OK!" (seriously ladies and gents i had counted the celing tiles, and evaluated the flooring material for its merits and coloring and that was the ONLY READING MATERIAL) i now know more about  jade goody wedding than anyone shurley would care about! bloody hell i mean seriously who cares about if Madonna has a sweat patch or somones got got a boy friend. "OK magazine" more like "Piss Poor Magsine". ahhh damn you cult of the celebrity i shall teach you to fear my wrath *picks up ladle and finest SPANG!-ing bucket and marches of to sort it out!!!!*

p.s.
ooo another idea book and news paper vending machines in waiting rooms...especially if the could print to order .... board?...£3 for joues vern 2000 leauges which will be ready in 1 minute? YES PLEASE!!!

chuffing norah that was long but needed to vent me spleen apologies... i could really use that book on manners couldn't i  Embarrassed

"red to red and black to black, throw the switch and stand well back!"
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009, 04:58:40 pm »

So... from all the above, can we come up with a 'little list' like this?

Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2009, 10:09:20 pm »

Texting: I do use it, for the simple reason that if someone I need to contact is busy and can't answer the phone they'll have a written message that they can respond to when they have time. I use proper words rather than that incomprehensible gibberish "txt spk".

I think the best comment I have seen on satnav is as follows: It's for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools. Personally I feel anyone using the excuse that their satnav told them to do something should be made to re-take their driving test.

I do have one, but mine works by providing a moving map display rather than directions (Memory Map). You still have to pull over to read it properly as with a paper map, but a quick glance while stationary in traffic usually suffices. It's just like having a normal map which is always on the right page and has your current location marked.
jarmara
Snr. Officer
England England

Tea anyone?

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2009, 05:11:49 pm »

the older generation always condemns the new and up coming generation
to quote Aristotle
    "The young are permanently in a state resembling intoxication.”

so as you can see it is not a new thing at all i can just see it back in cave man times "these young things what do they know flint was good enough for us and as for cooking meat well they don't now there born we had to eat it raw"

"If you are cold,Tea will warm you.
If you are too heated,It will cool you.
If you are depressed,It will cheer you.
If you are excited,It will calm you." Gladstone.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 08:53:49 pm »

DJs, who talk over songs they're playing.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 06:57:54 pm »

People who say 'LOL' when speaking face to face, rather than simply laughing.

People who read over your shoulder. 

People who presume to tell others what they do/don't need and what they should/shouldn't do when that advice has not been sought. 

Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 08:11:37 pm »

It is not just the kids. It is also my generation, many of whom (or should I say 'which') are parents themselves now, raising their children to become consume addicts and who also do not give tuppence about the world they live in.
The school system has detoriated in the years since I left and is in advanced state of decay. Trust me, I worked as a teacher in this rotten machine which grinds creativity out of the mind of those who should grow up to be decent human beings.
And the kids themselves: Loud, rude, all the wrong idols and symbols. Engaging in body-bashing aged 12 and wondering why they suddenly sired/conceived a child a t 14.
And the list goes on and on...

The sadest thing: When I look at my grandparents, my granddad served in WWII but never fired a shot, and how happy, content and liberal they are, I really wonder how they managed to produce my father, who is not unintelligent but racist, close minded and has a severe case of neophobia. Oh well, I am convinced my grandparents generation, although or maybe they had a war and had to start from zero afterwards, were the last generation to really get something done. My parents' generation just enjoyed the free ride in a strong economy and wasted the environment. My generation grew up in a shallow society, driven by consumerism and all the wrong goals and what are we going to pass on to our children...

Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2009, 09:50:19 pm »

*just sits back and listens intently*

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2009, 03:39:51 am »

Grammar, spelling and punctuation.

its ≠ it's
there ≠ their ≠ they're
were ≠ where ≠ we're ≠ wear
quiet ≠ quite

GAAAHHH!!!
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2009, 03:58:50 am »

Grammar, spelling and punctuation.

its ≠ it's
there ≠ their ≠ they're
were ≠ where ≠ we're ≠ wear
quiet ≠ quite

GAAAHHH!!!
Your=/= you're 
That one is my favorite.  I get angry e-mails some times declaring, "Your stupid!" so I e-mail back "My stupid what?"
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2009, 02:32:23 pm »

Has anyone mentioned the substitution of "less" for "fewer" yet ?

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 03:57:05 pm »

Has anyone mentioned the substitution of "less" for "fewer" yet ?

Not yet, but it's worthy of note.

Also, no-one uses "Whom" anymore.

It's a shame.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: