The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 06:00:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grumpy Old* Men*  (Read 22120 times)
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 10, 2009, 12:45:11 pm »

Bah! Kids these days don't know they're even born, with their rap musics and their baggy trousers! When I were a lad, I had to walk to school. It was uphill both ways! Then, when I'd studied the entire encyclopedia, it was back 'ome, then off to work. I had to pay the butcher for the privelage of doing his job. Worked me fingers to the bone, I did.

Alright, enough stereotyping. This is the thread for grumpy old* men*.

*Being old or a man aren't necessary. Being grumpy, however, is.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 03:55:20 am »

Oy but I do find myself thinking this way more and more these days.

I can't tell you the number of times in the last few years I've uttered things like, "Kids these days..." And "...I wasn't raised that way."

The disrespect to others, the idolisation of brutal thugs as the way men should be.

The vapid trophy girls seeking to be nothing more then a morsel of meat for savages.

The society of entitlement.

The shivering masses in a culture of fear.

The number of people who couldn't be troubled to learn or think.

I'm not old enough to be this embittered and cynical.

I look around at the people and realise that they are the ones who will be responsible for us, our world and our legacies; and then I want to scream.

Yes we made our mistakes and bungled some things rather badly, but seriously my aspirations have always been higher then own an x-box, a wii, and a playstation 3 on which to kill hookers to take their money and shoot something in the face. I may work in a kitchen but I'd like to think that I'm not so bad as the drooling chimp behind the register of some run down conveniance mart thinking how I might spend the money I have yet to earn on beer and girls gone wild.

And the music... gods the music. If it's not thumping base and some guy pounding his chest like some scene out of gorillas in the mist as he proclaims him self better then everybody else, then it's something like this thing I hear on the radio at work that I despise; "Sush, shut your lips girl. Do the Hellen Keller and talk with your hips."
That is how we talk to women? That is how we view somebody who overcame great incapacity and became an author, lecturer, and activist for many causes. Oh you little ___s are sooo... just ... ah never mind.

Alain Raethorne
Zeppelin Captain

Browncoat and Firefly Flan

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 04:17:16 am »

While I could reply with the pretty much the same views that Rovingjack posted above, I feel that
this
is the best possible response for me.

Navigator aboard the AAV Raziel.

Gold is for the mistress-silver for the maid-
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade
"Good" said the Baron, sitting in his hall
"But Iron-Cold Iron-is master of them all."
E.A. Claringbold
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 04:37:07 am »

The disrespect to others, the idolisation of brutal thugs as the way men should be.

The number of people who couldn't be troubled to learn or think.

And the music... gods the music. If it's not thumping base and some guy pounding his chest like some scene out of gorillas in the mist as he proclaims him self better then everybody else, then it's something like this thing I hear on the radio at work that I despise; "Sush, shut your lips girl. Do the Hellen Keller and talk with your hips."
That is how we talk to women? That is how we view somebody who overcame great incapacity and became an author, lecturer, and activist for many causes. Oh you little ___s are sooo... just ... ah never mind.

Definately agree with those.

Start grumpiness on possible verge of rant:

D<

Girls these days...well men too. Okay let me start with the both of them. Both can't bother to be intelligent... and there's no insatiable hunger nor thirst for learning. Take what is given and assume that it's enough. I can't tell you about the scant, but outrageously interesting things that I have learned in my short life and I still seek to better myself by expanding my knowledge.

I can't tell you how I've laughed in this required history class of mine. A class who does not know who Voltaire is walking into the class. A girl who doesn't know what the hell £ was ("Is it some kind of money symbol?" 'Gad's girl- don't you know what a pound sterling symbol looks like?). By the by, sure this might be a beginners history class- but this is a university course. Shameful.

Girls- oh the girls. So empty headed with their talk. I can't stand how the modern american girl talks nowadays (which is funny because I'm only eighteen Tongue). As helpful as the cellphone is- damn that thing to hell. Give a device for communication to the man and they will spout off all the unintelligent things that writhe in his/her head. Same goes to videocameras and internet video uploading.

That's what I have for now....x___x
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:14:50 pm by maudlindoll » Logged
Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 07:54:41 am »

Girls these days...well men too. Okay let me start with the both of them. Both can't bother to be intelligent... and there's no insatiable hunger nor thirst for learning.
I'd go further than that and say that, to many young (and not so young) people these days, intelligence is seen as some kind of weakness or...in their words..."gay". In fact, any trait a little different from their low-browed norm is dismissed as "gay".

"Doctor Prunesquallor, with his hyena laugh, his bizarre and elegant body, his celluloid face. His main defects? The insufferable pitch of his voice; his maddening laughter and his affected gestures. His cardinal virtue? An undamaged brain."
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 08:00:32 pm »

“Academic chairs are many, but wise and noble teachers are few; lecture-rooms are numerous and large, but the number of young people who genuinely thirst after truth and justice is small.”
-Albert Einstein

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 12:38:34 am »

*grumble grumble grumble*

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
stockton_joans
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 12:08:17 pm »

Mobile Bloody Telephones.

these little plastic incarnations of evil are a great idea and a usefull tool but it is the culture that has built up around them that gets my goat worse than an over zealous Shepard on speed!

1) they are NOT fashion accessories, there are tools
2)if you are lucky enough to have one that doubles as a portable music device, fine BUT USE BLOODY HEADPHONES
3)if i don't answer my phone the first time i am unlikely i will answer the next 7 times, chances are my phone is either off or not on me so don't get angry because you think I'm ignoring you or worried because you assume the worst and think I'm dead.

rant over, thank you for your Patience

Stockton Joans:
Gentleman
Tinkerer
Part time Illithid hunter
Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 01:04:50 pm »

3)if i don't answer my phone the first time i am unlikely i will answer the next 7 times, chances are my phone is either off or not on me so don't get angry because you think I'm ignoring you or worried because you assume the worst and think I'm dead.
My standard reply to such remonstrations is: "MY phone is for MY convenience - not yours!"
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 01:52:32 pm »

Modern "R&B", I would like to know where the Blues are.

(more later)

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
E.A. Claringbold
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 01:56:04 pm »

My standard reply to such remonstrations is: "MY phone is for MY convenience - not yours!"

Excellently put!

JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 02:15:48 pm »

I love all of you Smiley
I make a point of using a mobile phone so old muggers wouldn't even take it and playing video games from the 1980's, no bloody grand theft auto shooting gangster killing in them! Just a white arrow shooting trapeizoids! (which are supposed to be flying saucers) Smiley Or a sheild (a letter C shaped thing) protecting a castle! (a red square)
To play these games you had to use your imagination, which is another thing kids these days neglect! The contents of these old video games were just symbols of what they were supposed to be, like the playing peices in chess! Modern video games are too real for me.

And why don't these youngun's know anything anymore!?
Example; Once when hanging out with some old friends I used to have, we were sitting in the garden, and none of them could identify the clover growing in amongst the grass!
Kids (and adults these days!) need to learn more things about the world they live in, they know nothing but whats "in fashion" and how to ostracize anyone who does different!

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 02:36:40 pm »

The youths biggest problem today is basic awareness of the world around them.  that and the ability to be wowed, weather it be by a high gothic catherderal or natures storms.  Curiosity lies dead in the ground with imagination.  Cry

JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 03:00:37 pm »

Curiosity lies dead in the ground with imagination.  Cry
Oh I agree! It is so sad Sad
stockton_joans
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 03:04:31 pm »

Modern "R&B", I would like to know where the Blues are.

seconded most heartily
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 03:16:01 pm »

And yes I do have "call waiting" -If the line's busy you can Wait and Call me back later.

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 03:49:34 pm »

Curiosity lies dead in the ground with imagination.  Cry
Sad, but very very true!
Maddie
Snr. Officer
Norway Norway

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 09:17:20 pm »

Youths of today, as I find them, are mostly really rather rude. They don't follow common curtesies, such as letting people get off the public transportation before they get on, they don't put rubbish in the bin (right next to them, even!)

What a crazy random happen-stance!
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 09:41:15 pm »

Youths of today, as I find them, are mostly really rather rude. They don't follow common curtesies, such as letting people get off the public transportation before they get on, they don't put rubbish in the bin (right next to them, even!)

Youths, heck. Middle-agers and geezers are just as bad. The number of times I've had to lay about me with my cane when fighting my way off the omnibus ... *mutter mutter mutter*

Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 11:42:30 pm »

Exactly!

I have also come to the conclusion that there's a silent c in "rap". I think what annoys me is that it tries to force itself on people as reality, when the supposed daily life of a Bronx drug dealer bears no resemblence whatsoever to my own. The only "drive by" I ever do is past a friend's house to see if they're up yet, and as far as I'm concerned "HO" is a model railway scale. Quite apart from the sexism and glorification of physical power over mental ability.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 02:12:47 am »

And yes I do have "call waiting" -If the line's busy you can Wait and Call me back later.
If it's important, leave a message!
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 02:56:28 am »

And if it's not important, hang up before the bloody tone!

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
fireheart storm
Zeppelin Captain

Monster hunter, researcher, & cyberjacques's rival

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 02:57:18 am »

And if it's not important, hang up before the bloody tone!
This
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 03:00:49 am »

Actually for the longest time I went without a land line or a cell at all. I mean really what do you think people did before the phone.

My mum would ask what was she to do if she needed to contact me.

"E-mail me, I check it daily."
"What if it's an emergency?"
"Then Why would you be calling me? I live over an hour away. If it's an emergency you want somebody closer to you like your freinds and neighbors, or my aunt who live within walking distance of you. Why what kind of emergency are you planning?"

Seriously if you want to get ahold of me my mail box is easy enough, If you don't want to wait that long there is my front door, and if you must tell me something today without troubling to travel then e-mail.

My mum wonders why I get grumpy when we can go for weeks without talking and right when I'm in the middle of traffic and running errands she calls my cell. I do tend to answer with "What?" after pulling over (I refuse to be one of those idiots that drive one handed while talking on the phone, I also will not have a phone conversation in public. If I'm talking and other people can hear me it's because I'm talking to them.). She's one of three people who have my number and the one who calls most often. She knows my schedual.

It's never important so a text would do as well. They are cheaper, and I don't have to answer right away.
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 03:50:50 am »

the nike wearing rap loving masses should be terminated .... full blown rant coming soon

I am a freak in control not a control freak
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: