The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:51:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest restoration - not a steamy watch, but a true work watch..  (Read 5398 times)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« on: March 06, 2009, 03:36:37 am »

Took 8 months to get the parts needed, but I finally finished the restoration of a late 1970's Canadian Pacific Railroad wristwatch.
This is a Rodania quartz railroad watch, made by Rodainia to specs provided by the CHief Timkeepers office. When I got it, the case was badly scratched, as was the crystal. At some point the original scewdown crwon had been replaced, the stem tube was missing, and the original ETA 955 movement (which is quartz, 7 jewel, and is made of metal) had been replaced with a generic cheap plastic quartz.. The biggest issue was the crown, the case tube was an uncommon size at 2.20 mm..
It took most of the 8 months to simply acquire the correct parts, the correct crown had to come from Switzerland from Rodania, who surprisingly had still had stock.. The watch is now back to original spec, and runs like a champ..
Its a classic railroad design, evn down to the inner soft iron dust shield over the movement to protect from dust, and magnetic fields..

Before:

After

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
SaintSeptum
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 03:52:39 am »

Took 8 months to get the parts needed, but I finally finished the restoration of a late 1970's Canadian Pacific Railroad wristwatch.

Wow.... that's quite a restoration. Or would the word actually be "resurrection"?  Grin

That's a relatively early quartz too, isn't it?

-St. Septum
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 04:44:30 am »

Thanks..
As far as it being early, its first listed in the 1978 Approved List at CPR..
Its a nice connection to my old company and serves niceley as a 'retirement watch"

Cheers
Harold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: