The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 04:51:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steaming these goggles  (Read 1498 times)
Dekabal
Gunner
United States United States

« on: March 06, 2009, 03:10:57 am »

I'm trying to make my first pair of goggles and I found some brazing goggles on amazon that I would like to paint and make more "steamy". The goggles can be found on amazon (i am not allowed to post links yet) by searching brazing goggles. Im trying to pick between the Hobart 770096 Welding Oxy-Acetylene Goggle - 50mm Eye Cup or the US Forge 108 Shaded #5 Economy Cup Brazing Goggles. How do I paint them to look steampunk and what can I add to them to do the latter?

Thanks

JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:16:55 am »

I'm pretty sure you can post links. Spammers do it all the time Roll Eyes

Between those two I'd get the first goggles, they have cool little round bits on the side Smiley Then do nothing to them they dont really need it, but they're plastic Tongue why not have a look on ebay for vintage welding goggles? You can find some nice, non-plastic, acctually old goggles on there Wink

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Dekabal
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 12:44:16 pm »

I've tried ebay a few times but they always get too exspenisve to be worth it.
Dr Prunesquallor
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 03:59:42 pm »

I have a pair of the Hobart Welding Goggles. I detached all the black plastic bits (the lens-holding assembly and the four ventilation valves) - they come away from the softer main frame quite easily - masked-off the lenses and spray painted the rest with metallic gold paint to give them a nice "brassy" look. You might want to consider replacing the dark lenses, though - welding goggle lenses are VERY dark and may prove pretty impractical for normal daylight or indoor wear.

"Doctor Prunesquallor, with his hyena laugh, his bizarre and elegant body, his celluloid face. His main defects? The insufferable pitch of his voice; his maddening laughter and his affected gestures. His cardinal virtue? An undamaged brain."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: