The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 05:49:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watches are what I do  (Read 1863 times)
CS Steamworks
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: March 03, 2009, 10:12:43 pm »

I have a small company (me by myself) that make one of a kind custom Steampunk inspired watches.  I made a watch a few years back for myself, and everyone always asked me about it.  So I decided after an art show I was attending about a month ago to start making them full time.  Mainly because about 10 people wanted one.  After looking around the internet, I noticed two things.  The first thing is that the really high end watches are very expensive, and second no one is really making them.  So I decided to make good looking watches for a reasonable price.  I don't really do the message board thing, but it seems logical to be in touch with those that are interested in steampunk as well.  Anyways here are a few pictures, including the first one of a watch that I custom made for Johnny Depp.

thegearheart
Deck Hand

Professional Scallawag

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:24:59 pm »

Gorgeous and just a bit goth.  Perfect fare for these folks.

These have got to be pretty pricey, though!  I don't have Johnny Depp cash.  How much are we talking here?

MAGIC, ADVENTURE & GUNFIGHTS!
A free, serialized audiobook!
http://www.thegearheart.com
CS Steamworks
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:38:56 pm »

Johnny Depp paid nothing for his, the potential advertisement alone is worth more to me. I price them typically from $150 to $250 based on how much work goes into it, what type of watch is wanted, if people want pouches for blue tooth headsets, bottle openers, etc...  Stitching the edges for example takes quite a bit longer, because it's all hand done.  I can custom do pretty much anything, and won't start working on one until everyone is 100% on the same page. They are all 100% handmade aside from the actual time piece.  No hidden charges or anything like that.  Also If you have a problem with the watch I am willing to fix it for free, as long as you don't wear it in the pool, run over it with a car, etc...
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 12:21:10 am »

interesting and rather pleasing to the eye although expect debate  Wink

I am a freak in control not a control freak
Miss Kins
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Several palm trees short of a fruit cake.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 01:12:42 am »

Personally I love 'em, I just wish I had that kind of money to dish out on a watch at the moment  Smiley.

''Sure, it's all fun and games until the tentacled lizard-spider that was your crotch tells you that everything is made of Tuesday because only the sky can cook happiness.''
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:15:03 am »

I like em better than many of the "steampunk" watches out there - tho they do get abit away from function for my daily liking.

Can I ask, what movements are you using in there? They look a bit like the chinese skeletonized mechanicals... but I don't want to make assumptions. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:09:48 am by rogue_designer » Logged

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
CS Steamworks
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:44:44 pm »

Good assumption.  I don't know how good these watches are, which is why I tell people if the watch has a problem, I'll fix it.  A warranty is always nice.  I actually can't find other types of watches that are a good value.  I was going to use mechanical strictly at first, but can't find a quality watch that makes it so I can keep the prices reasonable.  I may have to switch to battery, even if I don't want to.   Each watch takes me on average 5 hours to make.  Having a full time job, being a full time husband and dad, and being in a band, means that 5 hours is not to easy to come by.  I am trying to find a watch source, if you have any suggestions.  I do have a friend that is going to school in Washington to become a watch maker, but who knows how long that will take.

As far as daily use, they are a little bulky, so I have been advising people that work with their hands a lot to avoid wearing it during work.  Although Joel Harlow, who the second one pictured belongs to, is a special effects make-up artist, and wears his all day. 

To address another issue. I'm in a "Horror Punk" band and everyone always points out how they are more "punk" then we are, or how our lyrics are not "horror" enough.  This is why I say these are "steampunk" inspired.  I am very aware in any genere, that there are the purists, and those that are a little more free spirited.  Using the word "inspired" keeps from offending some, and at the same time makes others appreciate the design concept.  I hope that helps answer some questions.  Thanks to everyone for the comments.  I apreciate that you appreciate them.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 08:53:49 am »

Sorry for the late reply - I've been out of the country.

If you do decide to bulk up the mechanicals (and thus the final actual and perceived value of your pieces) - you can purchase swiss mechanical movements from ETA and others. Harold has posted watchmaking catalog links before. But it doesn't take much digging to find them. Typically a good mechanical movement can be had for $50-200 depending on grade, size and options...

Ofrei carries a good selection.
http://www.ofrei.com/page_181.html

Keep up the good work. Cheesy
CS Steamworks
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 12:37:59 am »

You have opened my eyes to a whole new world of wonderful!  That link you posted has me now wanting to do custom faces instead.  I had never considered building the watch from the ground up.  I would appreciate your input if you have any suggestions as to certain kits, or a specific movement that you are farmiliar with.  Anything to get me going in the right direction.  Thanks for posting the link so I didn't have to dig around.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 12:49:36 am »

The hardest part of building a watch from parts (and by parts, I mean using an assembled movement and case) is findong a case/movement combo that will actually fit together.
I'd suggest you start of using a Chinese movement (Ofrei carries them) rather than an ETA, less expensive when you screw up the first few times (trust me, I know all about how easy it is to mess up a watch  Grin )..
  Hardest part of the whole thing, is first learning how to properly remove and re-insert a stem. If you mess up re-inserting it, you can mess up the keyless works, and that will necessitate disassembling the keyless works to reset them, NOT a fun task.. (ask me how I know  Grin )
 The next really tricky bit is cutting the stem to the correct length, to fit the crown and case (you need to consder the depth of trhead in the crown, as well as how close the crown will sit to the case, as well as maintain the correct distances for setting and winding. Stay away from screw-down crowns until you;ve had a fair bit of experience with stems and crowns. Last tricky bit is putting on hands. Invest in a hand setting tool, much easier than tweezers. You ened to get the clearance between the hands correct, and you need to make sure the hours and minute and second hands are in phase, as well as ensuring they are set to change the date at the correct time (if you are using a movement with a date function).
  Don;t forget the dial washer, and you;ll need to learn how about what dials fit what movements (the dial feet locations are the key), or you could use a footless dila, and adhesive dial dots.
If you want to go that route and make your own from parts, and have any questions feel free to holler.. I'll answer as best I can..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
capt_bligh
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 09:29:41 am »

incrediably intrested in buying a watch especially the second one shown sucha sexy time peice
CS Steamworks
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 12:05:45 am »

I have a goth/horror/sci-fi convention coming up, and an art show the weekend after, so I have been working my butt off on watches and cuffs.  I will post pictures of the ones I just finished over the last few weeks that I will be selling at the convention, and art show.  If there is one that you want, I can set it aside for you.  Also I will be making collars, chokers, gas masks, and corsets (with metal boning) for an upcoming photo shoot for Lucky Betty's so I will post pictures of all of that stuff as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: