The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 06:52:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wristwatch help!  (Read 1683 times)
Gideon Wrayburn
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: March 02, 2009, 03:36:36 am »

I bought a hefty wristwatch at a thrift store today that I'm eager to pry open and gut for parts.  But I can't get the back open for the life of me.  There's no lip with which to pry it up, and there are no four notches with which to twist it open. 

Has anyone come across this problem before?  Any advice?
blur
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 03:38:06 am »

A large hammer Grin

More seriously, have you thought of taking it to a jeweller and having them pop the back off?
Gideon Wrayburn
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 03:45:37 am »

A large hammer Grin

More seriously, have you thought of taking it to a jeweller and having them pop the back off?

I figure if a jeweler can pop it off, then so can I.  Smiley  I'd like to use the jeweler as a last resort.  I don't want to make the trip if I can do it myself.
blur
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 03:47:27 am »

Well sometimes these things take a special tool that the average person doesn't have lying around.

Have you got a pic of the watch, rather than just the description?
Gideon Wrayburn
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 03:57:14 am »

I've already scratched up the back pretty bad attempting to get it open.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 03:58:13 am »

EDIT: - looks like the case back might need a thin case knife inserted under the edge and twisted.

If the case appears to be one piece, you may have what is known as a "front loader" in which case the works are removed from the front after using a special tool called a crystal lift.
If the watch is of this type, then the stem will also be different, in that it will be a two piece mating stem.

The other possibility is that you may have the older style of snap back case tha tdoes not have a lip or notch, for that you need a thin bladed case knife (and rather steady hands, and possibly band-aids)

Its hard to tell without knowing what kind of watch it is..  Pictures, and or a better description  (name, etc) would greatly help..

Cheers
Harold

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:02:01 am by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Gideon Wrayburn
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 04:04:50 am »

Thanks for the tips, HAC.  Looks like I might need to head to the jeweler afterall.

The watch brand is Charles Raymond, if that rings any bells.
blur
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 04:06:44 am »

Maybe a thin -- very thin -- knife will work, but I wouldn't risk it -- you could end up cutting yourself.

If I can be so bold, however, what are you expecting to find underneath?

As an early quartz movement, it's probably going to look something like this. It's not going to be very "geary":

Gideon Wrayburn
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 04:11:59 am »

Maybe a thin -- very thin -- knife will work, but I wouldn't risk it -- you could end up cutting yourself.

If I can be so bold, however, what are you expecting to find underneath?

As an early quartz movement, it's probably going to look something like this. It's not going to be very "geary":

Hmmm... yeah, I was hoping for some gears.  Ok... now I know to not look for quartz movement watches.  Tongue

I'm a newcomer to steampunk crafting, so I'm kinda learning as I go.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley
blur
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 04:16:39 am »

I think this has been tip #1 Cool

Of course, you never know until you open it... you might find something of interest.

Just don't expect too much, based on my knowledge of quartz movements, is all Wink
Gaspard de Coligny
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 05:58:24 am »

I figure if XXXX can YYYYY, then so can I.

Famous last words...
The_Steam_Master
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 06:08:57 am »

Famous last words...

this is pretty much the first big lesson in steampunk you will learn, dont be discouraged if you cant make everything straight away if you are making something, and also dont be disappointed if it doesnt reach the standards of someone like Herr Doktor, just keep trying and learning, you will get there
Gideon Wrayburn
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 06:14:33 am »

Famous last words...

this is pretty much the first big lesson in steampunk you will learn, dont be discouraged if you cant make everything straight away if you are making something, and also dont be disappointed if it doesnt reach the standards of someone like Herr Doktor, just keep trying and learning, you will get there

I'm learning that pretty quickly.  Smiley  I've already had to bandage up a thumb and a finger.  I'm constantly reminding myself to slow down.  Quite therapeutic, actually.  Smiley

But my wife managed to get the watch open, and blur was right.  There was nothing in the realm of gears, but I'm keeping the crown and watch hands so it wasn't an entirely wasted effort.

Thank you all for the help.  Smiley 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: