The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 12:05:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "9" The movie: steamy?  (Read 2534 times)
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 04:43:18 pm »

God, I'm so in love with 9.  I keep huming the song (Coheed And Cambria - "Welcome Home", by the way).

For Christmas Carol they used "performance capture," the same technology that grew out of Golum and into King Kong and Beowolf.  So ya, Scrooge and all 3 ghosts will be Jim Carry, and he looks hysterical just imitating Scrooge in the interview.

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 06:28:40 pm »

Thank you Captain Brandsson - I love a Christmas Carol, it is one of my favourite stories.  Most excellent!
Quite welcome.  "A Christmas Carol", as time is telling, can never be retold too many times.  I looked at the castlist and apparently Jim Carrey is playing not only Scrooge but the three Ghosts, as well.

*makes sign to avert evil*
It sounds like the most dreadful casting in the history of history. Jim Carrey gurning away - it doesn't bear thinking of
besides how can you hope to top Patrick Stewart's performance ?

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 06:34:58 pm »

Its going to be animated.  A nuanced performance like Patric's would get lost in all the wierdness it looks like they're trying to pack in.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 06:39:21 pm »

how can you hope to top Patrick Stewart's performance ?
George C. Scott's bitter portrayal has ever been the standard, for me.
Patrick Stewart is a great and fine actor... but, in my opinion, tends to come across as a bit to charmingly pleased with himself in some roles.
He suffered from this in is portrayal of Henry II in the remake of The Lion In Winter.  Not that he should copy O'Toole's weary snark, but Stewart's Henry seems always just about to giggle at his own one-liners.

Edit:
And just to be fair, I will say that no television performance has moved me (and continues to do so) as Stewart's did in the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" episodes The Inner Light and Chain of Command.
They elevate not only the show, itself, but the whole medium.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:45:50 pm by Captain Brandsson » Logged

- Maximilian
Capt.St34m
Deck Hand

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 08:05:08 pm »

I saw a trailer for it on Attack of the Show the other day, im interested in it.
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 08:04:49 pm »

There are FOUR lights!

But ya, Scott for the definitive Scrooge.

Goofy thing with Patrick Stewart -- if he thinks he's doing something Great and Important (Dickens, Shakespeare, etc.) he comes off a bit smug about it.  If you surround him with cheep cheese (Dune, Star Trek, etc.) he elevates the entire production with sincerity.  Weird, that.
Captain Brandsson
Zeppelin Admiral

"We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 08:36:57 pm »

Goofy thing with Patrick Stewart -- if he thinks he's doing something Great and Important (Dickens, Shakespeare, etc.) he comes off a bit smug about it.  If you surround him with cheep cheese (Dune, Star Trek, etc.) he elevates the entire production with sincerity.  Weird, that.
*ponders that suggestion*
You know you may be right...

I wonder if it really is an "important vs cheese" distinction, really.

Stewart has admited to being a fan of (of all things) Beavis and Butthead and devoted to Red Dwarf
Perhaps it's that "sillier" things mean more to him.
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 09:09:42 pm »

If nothing else, I'd enjoy that interpretation.  My gut feeling is that the "high brow" stuff makes him feel all stuffy and self-important, but it could very well be that he's just not taking it seriously.  I definitely prefer your take on his possible motivations, if only because its more complimentary to the man and somehow jives with my own world view.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: