The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 02:57:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breguet "Sympathetique" clock-pocket watch pair...  (Read 2481 times)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:27:40 am »

An interesting concept, the Breguet "Sympathetique" clock-watch pairing, combined a clock, with a removeable pocket watch paired to it. The pocket watch sat in a socket atop the clock, and when the pocket watch was replaced in its socket, a mechanism in the clock movement was able to wind the pcoket watch as needed, and set the time to match the clock.
 Rare, and expensive... and invented in 1798

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 04:29:24 am »

Very interesting. If this is an item you have in your collection, could you post pictures of the backside of the pocket watch, or where ever it is on the pocket watch that the clock interfaces to do the winding/setting? Actually a close-up of the clock portion of the interface would be cool too. Also, is the watch settable independently, say if one were on a long trip and wasn't going to be around the clock base for a while?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 05:10:40 am by Pnakotus » Logged

"Tie two birds together,
and although they have four wings,
they cannot fly."
SaintSeptum
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 04:40:58 am »

An interesting concept, the Breguet "Sympathetique" clock-watch pairing, combined a clock, with a removeable pocket watch paired to it. The pocket watch sat in a socket atop the clock, and when the pocket watch was replaced in its socket, a mechanism in the clock movement was able to wind the pcoket watch as needed, and set the time to match the clock.
 Rare, and expensive... and invented in 1798

Ooooooh! Lovely!

I was just reading about this one the other night..... nice to actually see it. And I share Pnakotus' curiosity as to how the connection works....

-Elias

-St. Septum
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:36:42 pm »

Very interesting. If this is an item you have in your collection, could you post pictures of the backside of the pocket watch, or where ever it is on the pocket watch that the clock interfaces to do the winding/setting? Actually a close-up of the clock portion of the interface would be cool too. Also, is the watch settable independently, say if one were on a long trip and wasn't going to be around the clock base for a while?
Sadly, I will never own one of these, as they are rare, and expensive (saw one go at Sotheby's for over $400,000 US). I will try to find out the details of the movement, though..

Cheers
Harold
Gaspard de Coligny
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:32:32 am »

Sadly, I will never own one of these, as they are rare, and expensive (saw one go at Sotheby's for over $400,000 US). I will try to find out the details of the movement, though..

Cheers
Harold

I would rather say that you are a lucky man left with something to desire...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: