The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 04:47:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV mods?  (Read 2095 times)
awesome man!
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 19, 2009, 04:21:30 am »

i want to mod my TV for my new room as it is a large silver box in a room i hope shall be seaming with steampunk things so this would sick out like a sore thumb!
nothing too extream, but any ideas would be welcome!
Gracie Fullman
Deck Hand
United States United States

A delicate flower with far too many thorns

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:41:05 am »

First things first, cover that silver! You can try spray painting it, but you'd have to use painter's tape or something to cover the TV's screen. If it's plasma screen you'll have to be super-duper careful so as not to harm the screen, and then you can try spray painting it a pleasing brassy color. I'd cover up the connectors in the back before painting, too, just to be safe.

After painting, just attach a few knick-knacks. If you don't mind infringing on the screen, you could glue a border thing into the corners sorta like on scrapbook photos. Set a nice clock on top of the set, perhaps a steamy set of rabbit-ears. You can really run wild with it once you correct the color.
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

I like vegetarians, but I couldn't eat a whole one

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 05:59:12 am »

First things first, cover that silver! You can try spray painting it, but you'd have to use painter's tape or something to cover the TV's screen. If it's plasma screen you'll have to be super-duper careful so as not to harm the screen, and then you can try spray painting it a pleasing brassy color. I'd cover up the connectors in the back before painting, too, just to be safe.

After painting, just attach a few knick-knacks. If you don't mind infringing on the screen, you could glue a border thing into the corners sorta like on scrapbook photos. Set a nice clock on top of the set, perhaps a steamy set of rabbit-ears. You can really run wild with it once you correct the color.

Hey! There is nothing wrong with silver / steel in the right places. It simply needs something to offset it. Wood, mahogany or something similar.

Click here for win. ---^
alfa1
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 07:02:34 am »

i want to mod my TV...

Two thoughts come to mind.

- Do a search for images of the earliest forms of television sets.   Obviously they'll be in wooden boxes with all sorts of wooden trim.   Replicate these.   The screen will be bigger of course, but the general concept should stand out.

- The steam powered look, with panels of riveted steel and pressure gauges.
http://www.interlok.info/Dampfkesselbaue.htm
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:21:43 am »

Hey! There is nothing wrong with silver / steel in the right places. It simply needs something to offset it. Wood, mahogany or something similar.

Seconded. Perhaps you might try to dry-brush (with care) with black and a reddy ochrey colour to convey something of a rust look (won't stand up to close inpection, but it should work well enough...) Obviously find something else to test on first!
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:55:01 am »

Just take the casing off, a bare cathode ray tube and circuitry is very dangerous but looks awesome Grin

If not that try and make it look like wood, the old TV sets were made of wood Smiley you can buy special rollers for making a fake wood grain effect too!

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Gracie Fullman
Deck Hand
United States United States

A delicate flower with far too many thorns

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 08:50:35 pm »

I know there's nothing wrong with steel in steampunk, I just find brass to be a more pleasing color, and it distracts less from the actual viewing of the TV. Bright silver around the edges irritates me to no end, but that's just me.

Making the exterior look like wood is another good idea. If you measure it right, you can make a tight-fitting box for around the edges and leave the back mostly uncovered for easy access to the cords.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: