The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 12:59:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Game  (Read 1168 times)
Ackaroth
Swab

United States United States

« on: February 18, 2009, 06:35:50 am »

I posted a thread about a game I am in the process of working on. The thread is at Gaslamp Bazaar, and can be seen here: http://www.steampunkmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=740. Instead of just copying and pasting it all I'm just linking so you guys can read replies as well.

Basically just give that a read, and feel free to hit me with any ideas or concept art if you are interested.
Gaspard de Coligny
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:26:46 am »

Basically just give that a read, and feel free to hit me with any ideas or concept art if you are interested.

Cool, how much do you pay ?
Xombiegrinn
Officer

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 09:03:24 am »

I had a buncha ideas for an online multiplayer game but I lack the knowledge of programing so its on hold. Please dont make it horribly repetitive forcing you to constantly slay the same monsters over and OVER again to gain a single level type game...that gets old too quick.

Ackaroth
Swab

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:45:29 am »

@ Gas: I dont pay anything  Grin This is not being made as a "I want to get rich and sell this" but more of a "I am bored of all the cookie cutter multiplayer games out there and want a place that I can mold into something I enjoy and hang out in"

If you read the thread it details that this is not planned to be a very large project, I am aiming at it being 100 player capable for quite some time until more content is added and the demand for more powerful server is evident.

@ Xom: My friends and I are all in total agreement with you, thus we will be having a very non-traditional skill system, and I am trying to avoid "monsters" in that sense because I like a bit more realism. Animals and ai bandits/highwaymen will be present, however. Smiley

@ All: As said, this isnt planned to be a pay for game, this is gonna be something free until it becomes clear that it is even worth marketing or it is evident that I need to at least ask for donations due to running costs, neither of which will probably ever happen. I am asking for ideas and art and things like that because some people just genuinely enjoy coming up with that "great" idea that they have always wanted to see in a game or would like to draw because they would like to see things look a certain way. No one is in any way obligated to do either, and no matter the outcome, when I have a working model I will be advertising it on this forum and Gaslamp Bazaar for users to test and play around in.
Xombiegrinn
Officer

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 03:33:52 am »

@ Xom: My friends and I are all in total agreement with you, thus we will be having a very non-traditional skill system, and I am trying to avoid "monsters" in that sense because I like a bit more realism. Animals and ai bandits/highwaymen will be present, however. Smiley

I have to disagree witht he realist part though, Usualy games are an escape from reality to take you to a far off land of your imagination...though I do like killing people too, when theres JUST monsters I get anoyyed. Also when its the same 5 monsters just recolored. bleagh. anyways...this will be interesting, hope to see somthing come of it soon-ish =D
Ackaroth
Swab

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 03:36:32 am »

Well, I guess to go into a bit of how I would like to avoid "monsters", I would like mobs to be of the more steam flavor, so that is gonna mean alot of mechanical enemies, as well as animals like I was saying, things like wolves, bears, and then things like deer and such for making items out of and working on various aiming skills. :p
Xombiegrinn
Officer

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 04:13:14 am »

Mutated animals!
Tyren
Snr. Officer

Trust me, good idea.

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 05:06:23 am »

Definately needs a construction or crafting system. Make your own gear kind of things since thats what a lot of steampunk is about. And make it way out there. Like nearly anything can be combined with something else to varying degrees of effectiveness in the final product.

Fate is speaking to us, to be sure.
Load the airship with two dozen attractive people and 42 tons of tea!
We've got a world to save!
AtomicTroop
Deck Hand
Finland Finland

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 08:15:53 am »

Funny, I have been making a mmo with torque for quite some time now. It's a genre blending fps mmo, with elements from cyberpunk, steampunk, dark ages, feudal ages, etc. Kinda like the result of dropping the very fabric of time to a blending machine.
Ackaroth
Swab

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 03:51:54 pm »

Wow atomic, I had an idea like that too, basically an mmo where there were alot of zones, and each one was a different theme/time period. Be sure to let us know how you get along with yours!
GuitarNoises
Officer
Antarctica Antarctica

Sound Alchemist

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 07:26:39 am »

Hello,

I will ask the perennial question: Do you need music for it? We'll be glad to participate.

Cheers

Kindest Regards,

Martin
Ackaroth
Swab

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 10:39:53 pm »

Of course I will Smiley

Stuff for running around town, peaceful stuff, and then stuff for combat as well, more face paced music.
Zorch
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 05:40:37 pm »

Sounds like a fun project!  Let me know if you need any level design or environmental art help

To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering - Aldo Leopold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: