The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:03:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First time modder needs some tips...  (Read 1603 times)
sevenlies
Officer
United States United States

Hier kommt der panzermensch!

sevenlies
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:27:07 pm »

~peeks out of the lurkers' corner~

Hello, all!  Last Halloween I put together my first Steampunk ensemble.  Unfortunately doing so has placed me squarely in the realm of "I must make more" and so I am putting together another ensemble for a convention in May.

A friend purchased two of these pistols at a local toy store for me to use as my weapons:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didn't have time to modify them, but they worked in a pinch.  They're actually really lovely; they have a wonderful heft and weight, and are made from quality parts.  However, since I have a few months to play with the new ensemble, I would like to go ahead and modify it.  The black parts - as seen in the picture - are metal; I believe painted steel.  The brown part is wood.  The only plastic part to the gun is the orange tip. 

What I'd like to do is age the wood - I'm thinking this can be done by sanding the paint so it doesn't have a totally uniform look.  The metal, though, is another matter.  I'd like to have it look like tarnished silver.  I figure I could streak on silver paint with a damp sponge so some of the black shows through, and use Rub n' Buff on the raised parts so they'll stand out more.  I really want to remove the orange tip but for safety reasons that might not be a great idea.  Has anyone else dealt with tips on toy guns?

I've seen many a trick on how to make plastic look like aged wood and metal, but not a whole lot on aging actual wood and metal.  Any pointers - here or elsewhere - would be fantastic.  Smiley

Thank you!

Iphigenia P. Askew
Founding member of The Ladies Supernatural Exterminators Association - New Orleans Local no. 13

Seven lies multiplied by seven
Multiplied by seven again
Seven angels with seven trumpets
Send them home on the morning train
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:43:35 pm »

You don't need tips what you said right there sounds great Smiley

Pfft safety? Just rip the plastic right off, you'll probably be fine Wink

Wood; Sanded then stained dark and bashed and sanded and stained again makes for good aged wood Smiley

As for aging the metal I might suggest sanding it and leaving some of the paint on, I did it with these goggles and have done with many other painted black metals, you might agree it gives a nice patina Smiley

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:12:24 pm »

JingleJoe, thanks for the ideas about the wood and metal!  I didn't even think about just sanding the paint off of it.  How do you normally sand the paint off?  I'm assuming fine grit sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease...

Please forgive me for what probably seems like inane questions...I'm not a terribly crafty person so this is an entirely new undertaking for me.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:05:55 pm »

That's okay Smiley any sand paper will do, but if you ask me I'd say just use the cheapest Cheesy Doesnt need alot of elbow grease, a reasonable amount Smiley

Gryphon
Snr. Officer

A is for Aether

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 10:38:42 pm »

The metal lock parts are probably some kind of zinc alloy with a baked enamel finish; the barrels are probably either steel or zinc alloy.  You can buff the finish off the high spots and corners with a wire wheel in a drill, or by hand with 400-grit sandpaper (if you use a little water or oil, the paper won't clog.) 

My favorite old-timey wood finish is not for those who are careless and/or unaccustomed to handling chemicals, but it is a beautiful finish:  Aqua Fortis, a mild nitric acid solution with an iron nail dissolved in it.  It is wiped liberally on to a clean piece of wood, then the wood is heated with a hair dryer on high, or a heatgun on low.  When the wood heats, it blooms into a beautiful dark rich red-brown that becomes almost holographic when handrubbed with linseed or tung oil.

sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 11:46:49 pm »

The metal lock parts are probably some kind of zinc alloy with a baked enamel finish; the barrels are probably either steel or zinc alloy.  You can buff the finish off the high spots and corners with a wire wheel in a drill, or by hand with 400-grit sandpaper (if you use a little water or oil, the paper won't clog.) 

My favorite old-timey wood finish is not for those who are careless and/or unaccustomed to handling chemicals, but it is a beautiful finish:  Aqua Fortis, a mild nitric acid solution with an iron nail dissolved in it.  It is wiped liberally on to a clean piece of wood, then the wood is heated with a hair dryer on high, or a heatgun on low.  When the wood heats, it blooms into a beautiful dark rich red-brown that becomes almost holographic when handrubbed with linseed or tung oil.

Fantastic ideas.  Thanks for telling me about the sandpaper, I'll definitely try that.  I'm afraid I'm a little too klutzy to try the Aqua Fortis solution, although the results sound gorgeous!
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 01:04:30 am »

great tips as usualy folks and a nice toy gun to. just dont hot glue cogs on it and your all set  Wink

I am a freak in control not a control freak
bizarre_chicken
Zeppelin Admiral

I like vegetarians, but I couldn't eat a whole one

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 05:47:14 am »

Try drybrushing the metal to age it. Paint it a nice shiny silver, then apply a darker grey to the brush. Take some tissue paper and wipe the pain from the brush, then softly brush it over the metal. You should end up with a nice-looking finish.

Click here for win. ---^
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 06:17:57 pm »

just dont hot glue cogs on it and your all set  Wink

Haha!  I wasn't planning on it.  Cheesy  The only way I wanted cogs on a gun was if they worked. 

Try drybrushing the metal to age it. Paint it a nice shiny silver, then apply a darker grey to the brush. Take some tissue paper and wipe the pain from the brush, then softly brush it over the metal. You should end up with a nice-looking finish.

Drybrushing...that was the technique I was thinking of.  Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: