The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 09:29:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on the Chain for my Pocket Watch  (Read 1641 times)
Dapper_Dame
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: February 14, 2009, 10:47:12 pm »

I have a pocket watch (that I just remembered that I have, since I've been looking for one for a year or so), but it's quite fancy and I know nothing about it. It was my step-grandfather's and has been hanging up in my room on it's chain for years now. It appears to be silver, though it has never shown any wear. I recently purchased my first vest and have begun wearing my pocket watch out with the vest to eliminate excess bulk from phones, etc. However, I don't think my chain is very well suited for this purpose. I know of no other event that I will be wearing it in the near future (next few weeks, before I purchase a new chain). Any suggestions on what I should get as far as a chain -- I will only be wearing this with my vest, so I'm thinking either a T-bar or an Albert chain. Also any insight into the watch itself would be greatly appreciated.

The watch itself:

The clasps on the chain I currently have, it is 12" in length:

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:28:24 am »

Can't go wrong wih a nice double Albert with a suitable fob on the drop chain..
As far as the watch, I'll hesitate a guess that its relatively new (based on the crown and bow design, which suggest that the watch has a stem that does not require a sleeve, as most older pocket watches do). Also the case appears to be plated. Also, Majestime was a Swiss/French outift, that produced a lot of pocketwatches that used wristwatch movements in the 60's and 70's. They did quite a number with "painted" (actually silk screened) dials. 

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: