The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:52:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: found a 1859 Hamilton co. pocket watch  (Read 3161 times)
Lord Alacritas
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: February 14, 2009, 09:41:20 pm »

While cleaning out my grandmas house I found a weird pocket watch with the year 1859 carved in to the inside back of the watch along with the inishels E.B and a bunch of random numbers and letters. I did some reasearch on Hamilton co. and found that they didnt exixst until 1874, so this means the watch must have been a prototype?
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:51:31 pm »

Nothing of the sort... It could meant that a Hamilton movement was placed into an older case, or that the case was marked 1859 for some other reason.  Cases are not always easy to date, the movement should have a serial number relating to the date of manufacture.
http://www.nawcc-ch149.com/db_resch/hamilton_506.html

According to their own website Hamilton came into existence in 1892.  (They're now part of Swatch).

Z.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 09:53:31 pm by Zwack » Logged

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:05:46 pm »

While cleaning out my grandmas house I found a weird pocket watch with the year 1859 carved in to the inside back of the watch along with the inishels E.B and a bunch of random numbers and letters. I did some reasearch on Hamilton co. and found that they didnt exixst until 1874, so this means the watch must have been a prototype?

Never date a watch from the case.  Quite often when a watch was purchased, the jeweler would have a number of diffferent cases that one could choose from. Factory cased watches eventually became more common, but cases were often changed. Its not unusual to find a case that pre-dates the movement by quite a few years.
The only way to accurately date  (or get any other info on) a watch is from the movement serial number. If you can get that to us , it can be easily looked up.

As far as prototypes, they were usually destroyed when manufacturing patterns were made. The first movements produced of a new deign were generally considered more significant than a desugn model. As an example, Hamilton watches #1 and #2 still survive, and are in the NAWCC museum..
Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:21:26 pm by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Lord Alacritas
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:29:55 pm »

The 1859 ins't inscribed on the case it is inscribed on the watch its self on the flip out back panel.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 10:41:22 pm »

That sounds like  the "1859" is on the cuvette, or dust cover, and that's still part of the case..  The serial number will be on the movement itself.  Pictures would be a great help...

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:45:30 pm by HAC » Logged
Lord Alacritas
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 10:47:45 pm »

will have pics in a bit,so the case is the outer casing of the watch?
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 10:55:52 pm »

will have pics in a bit,so the case is the outer casing of the watch?
Exactly..

Cheers
Harold
Lord Alacritas
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 12:42:55 am »

Thanks for the help.  I will include pics as soon as possible.
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 02:29:06 am »

If you remove the movement from the case you will usually end up with a lump of clockwork with a dial and hands on it.  That's the part that you should be looking for the serial number on.  You won't need to remove the movement, you just need to open the case. 

You can find descriptions of cases and how to open them at the following website...

http://www.thewatchguy.com/pages/OPENCASE.html

I hope that this helps,

Z.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: