The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 11:50:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UV Glowy Thingy - help needed (info on sealing / gluing glass within!)  (Read 2415 times)
Robotguy
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: February 10, 2009, 07:02:17 am »

OK, so I obviously haven't worked on the name yet.

I picked this up from Ikea this weekend:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I plan to turn it upside down, plug the spiral tube at the bottom, fill the spiral with Noodler's Blue Ghost UV ink*, plug the top of the spiral (now completely sealed), then place a UV LED in the bottom to excite the ink. Add dimming/flashing for spectacular effects.

Unfortunately, I am having trouble plugging the bottom end of the spiral. I tried E6000, but it didn't cure correctly and I just spent 2 hours cleaning the residue out with lacquer thinner. Eww! I am currently trying Gorilla Glue, but although it is expanding, it doesn't seem to be sealing.

Any tips for plugging a glass tube?
Recommendations for a name would be greatly appreciated also...

*credit for the ink/pen image goes to Mocksy on the Fountain Pen Network forum. I rehosted the pic so non-forum members could see it...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:29:39 am by JingleJoe » Logged

Don't anthropomorphize your steam automatons: They hate that.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:15:51 am »

cork/rubber stopper?

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:16:11 am »

silicone caulk would do it. you can get it in clear too.

make sure the glass is super clean, you should clean it with something like isopropyl alcohol.

you can either put one big lump of silicone in the hole and wait a week or so for it to dry, or keep adding layers to a small blob over a few days, letting each layer to cure for a few hoursbefore adding the next.

one trick I've used to get caulk to dry alot faster in uses like this is to spread out some on something like a plate of glass or a plastic surface, then scrape it back into one pile, blowing on it the whole time.
be careful not to fold it or agitate too much as it will trap air bubbles in it.

I'm not sure whether it's the moisture in your breath or exposing it to alot of oxygen in the air, but even a big lump of it will cure alot quicker than just squirting it in place.
Marcus Bell Of Ulm
Officer

Technikaiser/Skilled Scrounger

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:16:47 am »

Hot glue.

Nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 07:27:20 am »

Epoxy. My final word in everything Tongue

Epoxy comes in two parts, (or two tubes or two containers or whatever Tongue) and when you mix them together, they start to set. So it doesn't set by drying in the air it sets by a chemical reaction between the two parts meaning epoxy can set underwater!
It's is super strong and I've used it before to seal a glass tube full of water Smiley You can buy clear epoxy too so you dont end up with a big funny coloured blob at the end of your tube.

It might be an idea to slightly sand a little bit of the area you are going to glue, this will just help the glue to stick better Smiley Also warmth will help iut to stick better, glue it in a warm room then just leave it there untill it's set and it will be a bit stronger Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:32:07 am by JingleJoe » Logged

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 09:17:38 am »

you can put in the epoxy then cover the hole with a bit of plastic tape and lay the pipe on its side so the epxy settles against the tape. the tape will act like a dam.  gravity will make the other side of the epoxy level out. just remove the tape once the epoxy is firm but not all the way hard, it's much harder to remove once the epoxy is fully cured.

I would still be tempted to silicone the top hole after the fill, in case you might need to make changes later.
Mrs Van Horne
Officer

Lady Rat Fancier

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 11:24:37 pm »

I have to agree with the epoxy suggestion - it is my first choice for almost everything, certainly worth a try

20th & 21st October 2012
Steampunk Weekend at the Commandery (Worcester, UK)
on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/388026347890155/
web: http://steampunkcommandery.moonfruit.com/

Steampunk and Retro Jewellery & Accessories
~ http://ixykix.etsy.com/ ~
Member of Etsy Steam Team - Search for steamteam on etsy!
~ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ~
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 11:44:29 pm »

I'd definitely go with corks myself.  Any good hardware store should have ones tiny enough for this.

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Mr.Surly
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 05:19:07 am »

You might find that the ink from a blue highlighter (open up and squish it out of the sponge) mixed with water + preservative would be a lot cheaper than buying UV ink, especially since you're not actually using it as ink.

Also, many common materials (like bleach) glow under UV light quite nicely.

Computer case modders who use water cooling often add UV dyes to the water.  Here's a bottle of blue dye for adding to water for $8:

http://www.jab-tech.com/Feser-View-Active-UV-Dye-50-ml-UV-Blue-pr-4282.html
Robotguy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 06:09:56 am »

Ooops, wrong forum. Sorry.

You might find that the ink from a blue highlighter (open up and squish it out of the sponge) mixed with water + preservative would be a lot cheaper than buying UV ink, especially since you're not actually using it as ink.

Ah, but UV ink is something I already have laying around  Grin I actually started experimenting with fluorescent green highlighter "blood", but have found that I get a MUCH better ratio of UV visibility to natural light invisibility with the Blue Ghost. This stuff is absolutely invisible on paper under normal light. And I still have several lifetimes worth left after filling the "device."

The Gorilla Glue ended up letting the ink soak through (easy to tell with a black light!), so I ended up using epoxy (JB Weld) currently being contained with painter's tape. 

Results so far:

JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 11:12:48 am »

Results so far:

I say Shocked This is what one would call epic win Grin
blacklines
Officer

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 09:39:32 pm »

this may or may not apply to your situation, but if the two surfaces of glass you are attaching are smooth (as in close to polished or polished) there is a UV reactant glue that loc-tite makes, I believe its loc-tite 352.  you put a bit in the joint, leave it in direct sun or under a UV light source, and a number of hours later the glue is hard, and clear--it doesnt yellow like two-part will..  There is a cheap knock off made by the makers of super glue, though ive found this type does yellow over time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: