The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 05:42:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Pocketwatch Thread  (Read 330742 times)
KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #200 on: November 09, 2007, 05:10:36 am »

Earlier this week I tried posting a pix of this "Nautilus Standard Crew Issue Epipelagic Marine Chronometer" wrist worn pocket watch, but it bombed out.  So now after reading similar 'posting photos' posts here's a second try.  If it does not work again please accept my DOH! in advance.  markf

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_2010/sets/72157602935067563/

Bravo! That's a marvelous...whatever it is.

markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #201 on: November 09, 2007, 03:38:38 pm »

I'm more into functionals than props, so this piece of silliness actually works as advertised.  It is a pocket watch which is also a functional dive watch (good to 30 M) and a 'complicated' watch (ie, working sub-dials for day of the week and date of the month) protected by a nickel plated shrapnel guard (from a parts-only WWI trench watch on Ebay) with a watchband-mounted liquid filled functional compass and liquid filled thermometer.  Perfect for crew use on epipelagic (shallow water) expeditions out of the Nautilus diving chamber.  Yup, over the top, but it is my daily use pocket watch.  markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
strangeseraph
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

Ta Da!

« Reply #202 on: November 10, 2007, 07:18:37 pm »

A site I just found which is awesome, great potential!

http://www.mbandf.com/

Watches are gorgeous, and check out the concept link for awesome art and photos of watch gears. So much stuff to discover at this site. Argh. o.o  If only they had a non-java version for me with my very slow computer. *sniff*

EDIT: Adding  to the above, go to there blog for pictures of the H2 model, not out yet! O_o http://www.mbandf.com/ourworld/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:20:55 pm by strangeseraph » Logged

-=-=- Jay Lee -=-=-
Kabuki
Snr. Officer

My physician claims there is something wrong...

« Reply #203 on: November 10, 2007, 11:31:05 pm »

Okay, here is the aforementioned watch project that I've been working on... 

I had originally planned to use a brass hunter cased quartz movement watch.  Unfortunately, after I disassembled it, modified the case, and then reassembled it... the movement no longer operated. *sigh*  So I decided to use this 1982 Westlox mechanical movement instead.  I think it turned out better, actually.  It's actually identical to the movement I used in MarkF's buckle, but includes the face.

The only thing more important that squashing one's foe, is doing so with style and panache... - Jake of All Trades

Join the fun here: http://www.b
Edmund Sawyer
Gunner

Scatterbrained Tinkerer

« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2007, 05:42:34 pm »

I did a quick search of the board, but did not find anything, so I figured I would ask.

I can't wear a wrist watch for the life of me. They get in the way, get snagged on things (I do a good bit of work in a warehouse boxing things up), and I just find them all manner of uncomfortable. I've had a few different flavors of waist or belt clip watches, and recently, I got my hands on a decent, but cheap Hong Kong generic pocket watch. Figured $10 bucks (with shipping! yay ebay) was reasonable for guinea pigging the fellows. As I wear jeans most days, that coin/watch pocket works perfectly. It's out of the way, rests comfortably in the crook of my hip, the chain hasn't yet gotten caught on anything (admittedly, I do tuck it into the pocket when I know I'll be in a snag heavy situation), and a piece of cake to tug out, check the time, and replace. I've even stopped using my cell phone as a time piece.

Obviously, I started looking around for a better watch as soon as all those things clicked into place. I'm hung up on wanting to get a mechanical/wound one, over a battery powered doodad, mostly as a means of trying to use batteries in as few things as I can manage (or rechargeable ones where I do). Sadly, most /good/ mechanical pocket watches also make the pocket book cry.

I recently came across, at Disnyeland, of all places, a very nice looking pocket watch at a reasonable price (at least I think it's a reasonable price). Even though it sports Mickey, it has to be one of the most subtle Disney products I've ever seen. nice brass finish, elegant back. Skeleteon watch face, so you get to see the machine doing its chore. Looking it over, it's labeled as a Majesti watch with Swiss movement.

In looking over this thread, lots of people here seem to have a good bit of experience with assorted pocket watches, so I was looking for feedback on this particular breed, as well as suggestions for others that won't make my credit card run away crying.

Ideally, I would like a skeleton watch (I /do/ so love being able to see the machinery within the watch) of the sort that covers (I've seen a few reasonably priced ones, but with no cover to the face, and I worry that the glass would get ruined far too quickly. The case itself need not be anything spectacular, even a plain silver or brass finish would suit me fine. If at all possible, I'd like to find it in the $150 or lower price range as well. Are there any brands you folks would recommend over others? Any you'd advise avoiding like the black plague?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Edmund Sawyer
Gunner

Scatterbrained Tinkerer

« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2007, 12:06:51 am »

*pines*
http://www.miles-pocketwatches.com/PageSW174.html

I love that all the date dials are in Italian.

How common are pocket watches with any sort of date dial on the face? I would venture that the added machinery for keeping track of the date would exponentially ratchet up the price of such a thing, yes?
KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2007, 12:13:02 am »

I did a quick search of the board, but did not find anything, so I figured I would ask.

I can't wear a wrist watch for the life of me. They get in the way, get snagged on things (I do a good bit of work in a warehouse boxing things up), and I just find them all manner of uncomfortable. I've had a few different flavors of waist or belt clip watches, and recently, I got my hands on a decent, but cheap Hong Kong generic pocket watch. Figured $10 bucks (with shipping! yay ebay) was reasonable for guinea pigging the fellows. As I wear jeans most days, that coin/watch pocket works perfectly. It's out of the way, rests comfortably in the crook of my hip, the chain hasn't yet gotten caught on anything (admittedly, I do tuck it into the pocket when I know I'll be in a snag heavy situation), and a piece of cake to tug out, check the time, and replace. I've even stopped using my cell phone as a time piece.

Obviously, I started looking around for a better watch as soon as all those things clicked into place. I'm hung up on wanting to get a mechanical/wound one, over a battery powered doodad, mostly as a means of trying to use batteries in as few things as I can manage (or rechargeable ones where I do). Sadly, most /good/ mechanical pocket watches also make the pocket book cry.

I recently came across, at Disnyeland, of all places, a very nice looking pocket watch at a reasonable price (at least I think it's a reasonable price). Even though it sports Mickey, it has to be one of the most subtle Disney products I've ever seen. nice brass finish, elegant back. Skeleteon watch face, so you get to see the machine doing its chore. Looking it over, it's labeled as a Majesti watch with Swiss movement.

In looking over this thread, lots of people here seem to have a good bit of experience with assorted pocket watches, so I was looking for feedback on this particular breed, as well as suggestions for others that won't make my credit card run away crying.

Ideally, I would like a skeleton watch (I /do/ so love being able to see the machinery within the watch) of the sort that covers (I've seen a few reasonably priced ones, but with no cover to the face, and I worry that the glass would get ruined far too quickly. The case itself need not be anything spectacular, even a plain silver or brass finish would suit me fine. If at all possible, I'd like to find it in the $150 or lower price range as well. Are there any brands you folks would recommend over others? Any you'd advise avoiding like the black plague?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mine has served me well thusfar, and the knowlegable folks here seem to approve.  It's 'bout $80 not counting shipping, well within your range: http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/001286.php
There are some other very nice ones on that site as well in a variety of styles and prices. 
Muse
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2007, 10:12:53 am »

Did anyone else see this beauty?

The collection features pieces by renowned Swiss horologist Abraham Louis Breguet, including an intricate gold and crystal pocket watch made in the late 18th century for Marie Antoinette, who was jailed before it was finished. She was beheaded for treason.

Full Article >>

Marie Antoinette's pocket watch
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #208 on: November 13, 2007, 04:21:57 pm »

These are under the $150 cutoff (under or well under $100.00) and have an 'open heart' skeleton window on the moving mechanism.  No clue about the quality of the mechanisms though.  markf

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLIBRI-SUN-MOON-POCKET-WATCH-KEY-CHAIN-WOOD-BOX_W0QQitemZ8927563119QQihZ004QQcategoryZ398QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLIBRI-SUN-MOON-MECHANICAL-POCKET-WATCH-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ130171477059QQihZ003QQcategoryZ398QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Charles-Hubert-Mech-Skeleton-w-Moon-Pocket-Watch_W0QQitemZ180120653812QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3938QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-HELBROS-MOON-FACE-POCKET-WATCH-MECHANICAL_W0QQitemZ250170617702QQihZ015QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2007, 04:29:25 pm »

Colibri, used to be Swiss movements, not sure about the current crop..
Charles Hubert is Chinese..
Older Helbros are Swiss, good quality..BUT that one on eBay isn't vintage, its again, Chinese..

The typical Chinese pocket watch movement is usually a Million Smart, and costs about $2.00 US in bulk..

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 04:48:19 pm by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Edmund Sawyer
Gunner

Scatterbrained Tinkerer

« Reply #210 on: November 13, 2007, 06:05:11 pm »

Harold: Is there any particular manufacturer out there for mechanical watches that has watches in the $150 (US, ignoring how poorly the dollar is doing at the moment) and under range?

Also, since you hadn't mentioned them specifically in your reply, what about Majesti?
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #211 on: November 13, 2007, 07:07:08 pm »

Colibri, I think, still uses Swiss (Unitas) movements in their pocket watches, although I suspect they are actually assembled in Asia. They are still reasonably good value, and I think are  the high-water mark (currently) in ths class.
Majesti is a US owned company based in new York. from what I can tell, they use Chinese or Japanese (Miyota) movements in their watches. I suspect that their quartz movemenst are the Japanese ones.
Charles Hubert, again, to the best of my knowledge, uses a mix of movements, Swiss quartz, Japanese quartz, and Chinese, depending on the price point.

Generally speaking, if its a Swiss movement, that will be written on the dial somewhere. There are strict laws about what you can call Swiss in a watch.

Most mechanical (especially the skeletonized) pocket watches will be a Chinese movement.

I have only one real issue with the Chinese watch industry, (to be honest they are getting better), and that's quality control. You can get a good one, or a bad one, with no consistancy across the range. As an example, I had  achance to look at some Alpha watch movements, one was a GMT wristwatch, on opening the case, I found a fingerprint on the rotor, and when looking more closely, a hair in between the plates. the watch was nicely jeweled, but there was no lubrication apparent. The other watch was a more costly Alpha manual wind chronograph, and it was very well made. Movement was a copy of a 1960's  Swiss  movement (Venus), and was celan, and properly lubricated, and surprislingly accurate for the price.

I'd say that while there is nothing really horribly wrong  with the Chinese movements, you are taking a slight chance in getting one that will stop working in a short time. Its also almost impossible to get replacement parts for them, so repair can be an issue. The Chinese have a ways to go yet, before they are where, say, Seiko was in the 50's.

Cheers
Harold
Edmund Sawyer
Gunner

Scatterbrained Tinkerer

« Reply #212 on: November 13, 2007, 07:13:42 pm »

Wonderfully informative. I think the big point here is that if you find a watch that tickles your fancy that happens to have Chinese movement, just be aware of possible shortcomings. Frankly, if it's inexpensive enough, it may not be the end of the world (like, say, my silly little $10 Hong Kong made practice watch).

Generally speaking, if its a Swiss movement, that will be written on the dial somewhere. There are strict laws about what you can call Swiss in a watch.

This is good to know. Obviously a counterfitter or what have you won't care one way or the other, but then common sense should prevail "Really? These normally run $400, and you'll sell it to me for under $100?". I'll have to go back to double check (yay for season passes), but IIRC, the Majesti at Disneyland did indeed say it was Swiss on the face.

Whatever I do get, I'll happily come back and share.

Cheers!
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

Another thing to watch for in the watch market, is a huge discrepancy between suggested reatil, and actual sales price.
Personally, I prefer vintage American pocket watches, great craftsmanship, and still undervalued..

Cheers
Harold
Kabuki
Snr. Officer

My physician claims there is something wrong...

« Reply #214 on: November 13, 2007, 08:54:59 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly there.  Excellent quality from the American manufacturers.  I plan on owning a few of them in the near future.  That said, I'm quite surprised by the longevity evident in the dollar watches made by Westclox, Ingraham, Ingersoll, etc.  I feel comfortable pulling them apart and tinkering until I can make one work, without destroying a work of art.  I'm rather fond of using them in my projects too.  Unfortunately, none are available with skeletonized plates.  Perhaps I'll have to make my own.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2007, 08:59:46 pm »

the "dollar watches" used a variant of the Roskopf lever movement, which besides being economical to manufacture, is actually surpisingly rugged and reliable. Skeletonizong is easier now that there are Dremel tools and diamond bits. Its tricker witha jewelers saw and files.. Cheesy  If you take care on NOT removing too much material, it should be doable..

Cheers
Harold
NazT
« Reply #216 on: November 14, 2007, 10:12:22 am »

I've finally got round to getting piccies of my 3 old(ish) pocket watches.

The first one is very nice and thin and I got it for about £15 from ebay in working condition.  It had a smashed glass which I've had replaced with a proper glass (at a cost of about £30).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...and its workings.

The second one is a smallish one that keeps good time but the back has broken off.  Maybe if I ever get the time I shall clean off the rubbish solder that was bodged on and solder it properly.  Cost about £15 working condition.
...and its workings.

The third one is my latest purchase from ebay.  I wasnt actually planning on buying it (cuss I didnt think it would go this cheap) but was over the moon when I got it for the excellent price of £11!  It was again bought from ebay in working condition.
...and its workings.

Oh and all the above prices (excluding the cost of the repair) were with delivery included!
Difference Engineer
Snr. Officer

Not steampunk, but an incredible soy substitute.

« Reply #217 on: November 16, 2007, 06:27:19 pm »

I feel that in the future, they will become curiosities, as more and more people realize it is redundant to carry a phone or PDA with a clock, as well as a second device that only tells the time.  I don't look at my wrist for the time any more - however, I find its frustrating that I often forget my phone.  What I really need is a fob for my phone, or perhaps I can adapt it to fit on my wrist!  Smiley)

While this device is not terribly steampunk in nature, it seems at first scratch that it would fulfill the criteria you outlined.  Presenting a wristwatch/PDA/cellular telephone.

If only there was a way to add storage to this device...

"You look like you're about to jump in your gyrocopter or something."
--Anonymous coworker
Daemon
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2007, 07:49:30 pm »

Do all pocket watches have ways for lint and dirt to get inside. I have a cheap skeletonized watch that has several tiny bits of fuzz on the inside of the glass and I have to imagine more in the mechanisms. It was stopped before and started working with a firm palm slap.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #219 on: November 16, 2007, 08:11:25 pm »

No pocket watch is totally dustproof. Havign said that, most of the skeletonized pocket watches I have seen, are from China, and the dust/fuzz/lint, was probably in there from the assembly plant,. Quality control is NOT a priority. I have seen Chinese watch movements in a brand new watch that have had fingerprints, lint, hari, and all kinds of debris in them, one had a nice set of brass shavings.
 Thats what we get for living in a society that worships at the altar of cheap goods.
 Also, never slap a watch, the G-Forces that hit the balance staff that way are enormous, even if they don't feel that way to you.

Cheers
Harold
Daemon
« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2007, 11:20:58 pm »

Considering the cost of taking it into a shop in a non-functioning state would probably cost more than the watch itself I found the palm slap to be a reasonable alternative considering the worst that could happen is the watch would continue to not function.
Prof. Brockworth
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Choppy Warburton rides again!

« Reply #221 on: November 16, 2007, 11:53:51 pm »

What sort of price would one expect to pay for a clean and service?  I'm ever so tempted by this battered old fellow, but I don't know what sort of rates watchmakers charge for fettling the works. 

Recovering from pennyfarthing bruises...
Angus D. Murphy
Zeppelin Captain
France France

Professional Lunatic

« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2007, 01:54:08 pm »

What sort of price would one expect to pay for a clean and service?  I'm ever so tempted by this battered old fellow, but I don't know what sort of rates watchmakers charge for fettling the works. 

Clean and service on a piece that is not exactly ordinary. I know that the horologist who checked my 24 hours watch had not seen any like it before. Now, that one would make a nice addi(c)tion... If he needs some parts, the price could probably reach uncomfortable heights.

I think this one could be French or Swiss, since "déposé" is the French for "patented". Love that face, it is the opposite of the one on my watch.

What's the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can't blow something up?
-Sir Terry Pratchett
Dr.Anton Wigglesworth
« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2007, 09:43:37 pm »

saw this while flipping channels the other night

http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?familyid=J173349&storeid=1&page=LIST&category=Watches|t311&prop=Android|475&catprop=475&rap=2339&WT.mc_id=WTDS_Search_Google&cm_mmc_o=dnCjCswYcByplCjC7wEwyzkCjC-11&cshift_ck=496902416cs295144787&WT.srch=1&track=475&cm_re=SearchList-_-N-_-N 

looks nice especially in the blue ..watch the video  price seems to be in the range above "crap" but below ""mortgage the house.

what o you fine fellows think?
Nicolas Villon
« Reply #224 on: November 19, 2007, 12:17:21 pm »

This is one of the pocketwatches from my grandfather, not the best though, but the only one I can't say where it's from:

The front looks quite nice actually, but the mechanics are not that good.

Engravings:

The little monogram at the top says JP, the number (which can't be seen) is 114623. The moon and the crown on the right is the German seal for silver, if I remember correctly, but does anyone know the dove with the twig on the lower side of the second picture?

It stopped working, probably because the friction got to high, if you shake it a little the flywheel starts to run, but gets slower with every cycle and stops again.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: