The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 01:41:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Pocketwatch Thread  (Read 330768 times)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1500 on: January 21, 2010, 03:36:31 am »

AH, now therein lies the rub.. My watchmaker and I went over this awhile back, and using the timing machine, had a look.. We could, we discovered, get the watch to +1 second per day through regulation, but then the long term variance went out the window, especially throwing out the isochronism (which is the adjustment that tries to ensure the rate/beat is the same at full wind, as it is at low wind). He figured that he probably could fix it, but that it would take a lot of work, and that he couldn't guarantee results. His opinion was that the watch had been adjusted and regulated to that spec (or better), and that the watch had "settled" in to that particular timing.  His advice was that for a 50+ year old watch, it was doing well,and that long term precision was better than short term accuracy.. So, put it back the way it was, and  considering that it beat the original timing spec quite well..

Cheers
Harold

PS.. my most accurate mecahnical watch is my Rolex 114270 Explorer 1, which runs to +1 second per day. (and that;s only 4 seconds per week better than the 992b, go figure..)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:39:20 am by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #1501 on: January 21, 2010, 08:57:12 pm »

Supremely impressive Smiley

My most accurate watch is a 0-jewel (no, I've not missed a digit) Smiths I got from a car boot sale for £3, and that runs to something like 10 minutes a day, hehe. Methinks I need more watches.

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1502 on: January 21, 2010, 09:01:43 pm »

Supremely impressive Smiley

My most accurate watch is a 0-jewel (no, I've not missed a digit) Smiths I got from a car boot sale for £3, and that runs to something like 10 minutes a day, hehe. Methinks I need more watches.
You can NEVER have enough watches, I've found!

Cheers
Harold
Steampunk_Andy
« Reply #1503 on: January 31, 2010, 12:39:15 am »

I'm only on the tenth page or so, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Do you have any suggestions of where a beginner who can't afford to buy books might start learning about pocket watches? I'm afraid that I find them terribly lovely, but haven't the slightest clue about them... I don't even know what a jewel is, though it only took a couple of seconds for me to learn what a cog and a crown was.  Grin
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #1504 on: January 31, 2010, 12:55:51 am »

If you ask on here I'm sure people can answer...

A Jewel is... a jewel.  Frequently rubies, they're used as bearings as they don't wear particularly, and they can be made very smooth.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
Steampunk_Andy
« Reply #1505 on: January 31, 2010, 01:02:08 am »

I'm actually a little embarassed now... I found a link in the middle of page 10 that explained them a little... Thank you very much for trying to answer though. I think I had assumed that it was just the same word being used for different meanings.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1506 on: January 31, 2010, 01:11:10 am »

The book most collectors start out with is 'Complete Price Guide to Watches" by Engle, Gilbert, and Shugart. Its far more than just a price guide, lots of "how it works" info, movement identification drawings and model lists and history for the major (and not so major) American pocket watch manufacturers. Even an older used copy is a good start.

As far as jewels, a good explanation can be found  at:

http://www.trusted-forwarder.org/elgin/help/watch_jewels.html

As far as cogs, or gears, in watch parlance they're called "wheels"  (i.e  1st wheel, etc.)..

Cheers
Harold

Steampunk_Andy
« Reply #1507 on: January 31, 2010, 01:27:40 am »

Thank you for your input, sir. From what I've read so far, you seem to be the definitive voice in this thread. As for the book, I'll attempt to get it assuming my interest in this sticks as much as I think it may. Thank you for the correction. ^_^
JackNew
Swab

« Reply #1508 on: February 17, 2010, 04:13:36 pm »

I'm new here and I posted this on an older thread I guess, too.
I have a pocket watch and it has no watchmaker's identification marking that I can find.
It has a 3 hinge construction 
On the very inside rear cover it is stamped "H 58"  somewhat randomly placed at the top and SWITZERLAND down close to the hinge and below that a serial number 3064150
On the inside of the outside rear cover the serial number is stamped again down close to the hinge and also an "H 58" placed at the top.
The internal works are marked SWISS, but no other identification markings - it is quite decorative inside, though.
On the outside of the main body down close to the hinge area ther is a "58"
There are no wording/markings on the face, except an "8 DAYS"

I don't know watch sizes but the outside diameter is 2.8 inches or 71 mm and it is .92 inches or 23 mm thick
It is a heavy watch I guess about 1 lb.
It is missing the second hand on the lower 0 to 60 dial, and it is not running.

Here are some pics...can anyone help me out here.

Thanks,
Jack

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2782/4363678084_e519ff3f9d_m.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2705/4362936141_4e3c8c600c_m.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4363678136_8a574c1b51_m.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4362936111_da68187281_m.jpg
Amaterasu2314
Gunner

« Reply #1509 on: February 18, 2010, 12:28:09 am »

I recently found a website that sells (supposedly) authentic Victorian wear and they have pocket-watches I drool over.
Linkage
Is there anyone that knows about this website's reputability and whether or not those watches are worth what Gentleman's Emporium is asking?
My last pocket-watch fell to pieces and the other...got put through the washer and dryer. So I was looking to replace.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1510 on: February 18, 2010, 05:56:00 am »

I recently found a website that sells (supposedly) authentic Victorian wear and they have pocket-watches I drool over.
Linkage
Is there anyone that knows about this website's reputability and whether or not those watches are worth what Gentleman's Emporium is asking?
My last pocket-watch fell to pieces and the other...got put through the washer and dryer. So I was looking to replace.

Mostly all Chinese movements - no problems save spotty quality control, make sure it has a good warranty..

Cheers
Harold
Amaterasu2314
Gunner

« Reply #1511 on: February 18, 2010, 10:54:24 pm »

Linkage

Mostly all Chinese movements - no problems save spotty quality control, make sure it has a good warranty..

Cheers
Harold

Thank you much, good ser.
I was considering Illinois watches on eBay (I did much inquiry with sellers to make sure the watches are up to snuff) and I have my eye on a watch that's been taken very good care of throughout its years. I must ask, though: Are Illinois watches generally dependable? I've heard that they are but I don't know anyone that owns them and any watchmakers are not in my area.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1512 on: February 18, 2010, 11:59:01 pm »

Illinois are great watches, very collectible, and are very well made..  pretty good parts supply out there, too.I  have had a few, and currently I have a 1924 12s 19J..

Illinois "Wolverine" 16s

Illinois "Burlington" railroad grade:

1924 Illinois model 5, 12s

Cheers
Harold
KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #1513 on: March 12, 2010, 04:41:58 am »

I finally got my beautiful Waltham back from the repair shop!
It's all pretty and working and makes me happy ^_^
Pics when I get around to it, though I put ones of the outside up ages ago, but Now that I know how to open the back I can share the serial number so the brilliant people on here can give me some history on it (besides the anecdotal stuff I have). It's 17233577 

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1514 on: March 12, 2010, 06:17:47 am »

I finally got my beautiful Waltham back from the repair shop!
It's all pretty and working and makes me happy ^_^
Pics when I get around to it, though I put ones of the outside up ages ago, but Now that I know how to open the back I can share the serial number so the brilliant people on here can give me some history on it (besides the anecdotal stuff I have). It's 17233577 
Here you go...

Model:1894, Grade: 210, Size:12 ,3/4 Plate, 7 Jewel, Breguet overcoil hairspring, date of manufacture -  late 1908.

Cheers
Harold
Quetzalcoatl
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1515 on: March 16, 2010, 04:33:38 pm »

So I'm up to a total of 5 watches as of this writing, my first is in the shop for service, My second is this one,

It was given to me by the owner of an antique store who said "its a nothing watch"

The numbers etc on the movement are
around a small cross it says something like Patent depo set
has a serial number 835081

The case says acier garanti (steel guaranteed)

It winds but does not work.

my third was this quartz "Weidi"

Its a 1997 USS constitution souvenir. It needed a battery to get working.

my fourth was this one from the same vendor who sold me the Quartz watch

its a Westclox Dax. it works beautifully, I wound it on Sunday of this week rather late in the day, it is now Tuesday morning and I expect it to stop any time.

I as yet have not determined how to open it and see the movement and hints would be happily accepted.

My 5th was an ebay purchase which has not arrived yet. I knew it was a junk watch cost me a dollar plus shipping, if all I get is gears to re-purpose I`m ahead.

Edit:

I fell into an Elgin today. I have a couple movement pics none of the watch and sorry about the clarity I'm not much of a photographer.

Movement says

Elgin Nat's Watch Co USA
Seven Jewels
The case has a number : 43217

The cover for the back is marked

Empress AWC Co
Case Made in Canada
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:29:26 pm by Quetzalcoatl » Logged

Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1516 on: March 17, 2010, 02:17:26 am »

Elgin Nat's Watch Co USA
Seven Jewels

That serial number tells us...
It's a size 16s made in 1921, Class 110, Grade 293, one of 704,000 of that type made between 1903 and 1927.  It;s an Open face, pendant set movement with a 3/4 plate gold gilded...

http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bin/elgin_sn?sn=24483659&action=search

Z.
deadsweetheart
« Reply #1517 on: April 01, 2010, 02:06:50 am »

Found a old watch repairman here in MD who actualyl does in shop stuff , hes repairing my hunters case 16 size elgin which only needs a new crystal , hands , and bow but otherewise works ,,hes doing that for 80 dollars altogether.   He told me though he will do a total teardown and clearning of any watch i own for 130 which is way better than most other shops ive dealt with. So looks like i may get 2-3 repaired a year till i have them all done which may take a bit since i own like 12 broken pocketwatches total .     The only thing he said may cost a bit more is the swiss ones i have that are keywind from the 1870s since alot were handmade and factory parts arent common.
Quetzalcoatl
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1518 on: April 01, 2010, 02:15:59 am »

Elgin Nat's Watch Co USA
Seven Jewels

That serial number tells us...
It's a size 16s made in 1921, Class 110, Grade 293, one of 704,000 of that type made between 1903 and 1927.  It;s an Open face, pendant set movement with a 3/4 plate gold gilded...

http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bin/elgin_sn?sn=24483659&action=search

Z.

You're Awesome!

My one dollar watch showed up today, its one of these

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The chain was worth the dollar to me. Surprisingly the watch works very nicely (for now)

Congrats on the watch repairman. I have my generic Swiss watch in at one right now. I'll probably pop over there tomorrow and see how it's coming. Hopefully he does great work and his prices stay reasonable Smiley
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1519 on: April 01, 2010, 04:01:26 am »

The only thing he said may cost a bit more is the swiss ones i have that are keywind from the 1870s since alot were handmade and factory parts arent common.

Wait until you give him a Swiss Cylinder movement to repair.  I did that with my local watch repair person.  Fortunately he didn't have to take the Cylinder apart as apparently that can be very hard to put back together again.  This watch was handmade too...  right down to the screws, even the slots were cut by hand.

That's my wife's watch. We got it for $5 from a bookstore.

Z.
Zander Yurami
Deck Hand

Zydrate Dealer

« Reply #1520 on: April 01, 2010, 04:30:16 am »

Here are the watches I own.

Quetzalcoatl
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1521 on: April 02, 2010, 02:13:54 am »

I believe I found a waltham today. it winds but doesn't go, I think its in need of a good cleaning. it also needs a crystal.

If it's not a waltham I'm lost.

back case says
Fortune
Warranted
A.W.C. Co
20 years

Movement says 17 jewels

Dial is white enamel but has no writing.

deadsweetheart
« Reply #1522 on: April 02, 2010, 02:32:30 am »

well cases arent always right i can tell you i have an elgin in a waltham case, cases were made by various makers ,   the movement needs to have something on it identifying it as a waltham like American Waltham Watch Co engraved into it.

I have had a few small ladies watches that actually have no makers marks on them at all.  But well back than you coudl buy a watch from anywhere hell teh sears catalog would mail them to you.
Quetzalcoatl
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #1523 on: April 03, 2010, 01:29:14 am »

Yeah so I got yet another one that caught my eye today.

Its a "Vadis" I haven't completely deciphered the movement yet

what I have spotted is
3 adjustments
15 jewels
Swiss made,

Case says
Sturdy
Nickel Silver

Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1524 on: April 03, 2010, 05:16:52 pm »

With one exception case information is fairly useless.  There was one brand that only ever used their own cases and so that one is different. 

Any markings on the movement and dial are of interest, and even without them Harold can probably tell you a bit about the movement based on how it looks and his vast knowledge.

Unless that "Waltham" says AWC or Waltham or... on it then who knows.  It is however a decent quality movement based on the decorative touches put on the face plate. 

Apart from my collections of Elgins (3 of them, plus my wife has one, and a swiss cylinder watch) I don't really know much about watches...

Z.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: