The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 08:56:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Master Pocketwatch Thread  (Read 330712 times)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1450 on: July 25, 2009, 07:49:13 pm »

Both the Bunn and the Lincoln were on the approved list of service watches for most railroads. Looks like  they are in great shape, too..
Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Berty Boleyn
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Time-traveller by Royal Appointment

« Reply #1451 on: July 27, 2009, 04:42:03 pm »

My good lady wife bought me this beautiful watch as a 40th birthday present this year. Not the actual watch in the photograph, you understand  Wink

Jean Pierre, Swiss, 17 jewel mechanical mechanism, stainless steel case, skeleton demi-hunter. It is a thing of beauty. I had a photo of the back, which is glass and shows off the gorgeous inner-workings, but it seems to have been deleted from my folder and I can't find another on the web.

I realise it isn't the most steampunk of watches, but there is a steamy feel to it and it's practical too and I wear it every day in my waistcoat pocket attached to a silver chain.
Recently I returned to London, my home town, to attend a conference in Westminster. I stood on the South Bank of the Thames and set my watch by the clock tower of the Palace of Westminster (commonly, but incorrectly known as 'Big Ben') and probably felt just about as Victorian as a man can  Grin

"I pressed the lever over to its extreme position. The night came like the turning out of a lamp, and in another moment came to-morrow."
skribb
Officer
American Samoa American Samoa

The Antithesis of Normal

« Reply #1452 on: July 29, 2009, 11:24:59 am »

A friend has a pocket watch that he would like some info on. Where it's from, what year and so on. I'm sure someone here (hint: Harold) can clue me in on the stuff.  Grin

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, this is my first visit to (and post on) ol' Brassy in a very, very long time. I couldn't find any steamy clothes to wear (woe is us who cannot sew), which subsequently lead to a semi-non-voluntary hiatus in steampunk-related surfing (and a change in clothing style too). I had to push myself just to make this post, and now that I'm at it, I realise how much fun BG (and all the other steampunk websites) has provided me, and I want back in! I must definitely work BG back into my surfing routine.

But all the clocks in the city,
Began to whirr and chime.
O, let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time!
Clockwerk Wolf
Snr. Officer
United States United States

He's a right looney, that one...

« Reply #1453 on: August 04, 2009, 09:54:13 pm »

My turn.  Grin A Soviet mechanical pocketwatch given to me as a Christmas gift a few years back. Moscow manufacture vintage 1950's I beleive.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:56:31 pm by Clockwerk Wolf » Logged

KatarinaNavane
Zeppelin Captain

KatarinaNavane
« Reply #1454 on: August 04, 2009, 11:34:10 pm »

My watch is back! 
The Charles Hubert Paris company (the watches you get at Gentleman's Emporium) do indeed honour their lifetime warranties. 

rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #1455 on: August 06, 2009, 04:40:04 am »

A friend has a pocket watch that he would like some info on. Where it's from, what year and so on. I'm sure someone here (hint: Harold) can clue me in on the stuff.  Grin

Welcome back.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the soviet watches. I don't even know if they followed any of the conventions regarding serial numbers and movement labels. That said, we can usually deduce a great deal from a picture of the movement if one is available. More, typically, than we can get off the face.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1456 on: August 06, 2009, 05:20:58 am »

Also, this is my first visit to (and post on) ol' Brassy in a very, very long time. I couldn't find any steamy clothes to wear (woe is us who cannot sew), which subsequently lead to a semi-non-voluntary hiatus in steampunk-related surfing (and a change in clothing style too). I had to push myself just to make this post, and now that I'm at it, I realise how much fun BG (and all the other steampunk websites) has provided me, and I want back in! I must definitely work BG back into my surfing routine.

Sorry for not getting to this sooner, but been a tad busy lately.  Its probably a Moscow Watch Factory movementm, but let me do a bit of digging, I know a fellow who is a big Russian watch collector, might be worth me dropping him a line..

Cheers
Harold
Silver_Unicorn297
Gunner

« Reply #1457 on: August 14, 2009, 12:16:00 am »

Oh my goodness! THere are some amazing pocket watches here.

I've got one... but it's not quite steamy, and I don't think it's very antique either... I'm not too sure.
It's quite strange, really... but one day as I was going through my apartment, (before I moved, that is) I came across a little wind-up pocket watch. Neither my mother nor I could guess where it came from, or who gave it to us for that matter. It's quite the little mystery.

Here is  a picture of the watch, if anyone is curious:
I apologize for the blur; I'm afraid that I'm not the best photographer.

And here is another one, with a penny for size-reference.

I read the name Yanka on the watch face, and after a bit of research, learned that it's a Russian company. Perhaps it came from a family member. We're all Polish, but my family has quite a few items from Russia.
There's also something else written on the watch, but I'll need a magnifying glass to decipher it.
Does anyone know more about these types of watches? Their age, origin, etc?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:51:01 am by Silver_Unicorn297 » Logged
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1458 on: August 14, 2009, 04:15:06 am »

Good evening, Silver Unicorn.

The Cyrillic letters on your watch's face say "Chaika". That's Russian for "Seagull". Chaika made relatively small watches like this which could serve as as gentlemen's pocketwatches or ladies' pendant watches from the beginning of the factory. This was only 60 years ago or so, and they went over to quartz movements in the last dozen years. Their mechanical movements were sound, but not particularly distinguished. So you have a serviceable watch, more than ten years old and less than sixty, which is indeed Russian. Wear it in good health.

Sincerely,
Darkhound
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 10:22:46 pm by Darkhound » Logged

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Silver_Unicorn297
Gunner

« Reply #1459 on: August 19, 2009, 07:28:13 pm »

Thank you very much Darkhound! This certainly clears up some of the mystery surrounding this pocket watch. Taking its origin and age into consideration, I suspect that it must have come from my mother's family (who are all Polish, but have accumulated some Russian items over the years).
Klowd 13
Deck Hand

« Reply #1460 on: September 13, 2009, 10:20:48 pm »

i have quite a few pocket watches, 6 wind up and 3 battery powered to be exact Wink

I have one im starting to carry with me to replace my battery powered one, its an Ingraham St. Regis.
Its a very nice and runs like a top.

I have two Wesclox Bull's Eyes, one with the second hand dial (doesnt work, cause is undetermined; no front glass) and one without (works great); a Wesclox Scotty (also doesnt work); an Ingraham uhh... just Ingraham (gears fell out of place, needs fixing); and a New Haven (works, but just barely; no back cover).

Interestingly enough, these are all made here in the U.S.

The battery powered ones arent that interesting, just common Wal-mart ones.

Cheers,
-John-
Steαм◦¢hicк
Deck Hand

« Reply #1461 on: September 28, 2009, 03:34:02 pm »

My grandmother gave me HER father's old Rollie pocket watch, but she isn't sure how many times to twist it each day. Any help? Much appreciated Smiley
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1462 on: September 28, 2009, 04:25:13 pm »

My grandmother gave me HER father's old Rollie pocket watch, but she isn't sure how many times to twist it each day. Any help? Much appreciated Smiley
Given that most watches are now battery powered, its not surprising that this question comes up.. 
  Wind the watch by turning the crown clockwise a number of complete revolutions. With the watch face-up in your left hand, pinch the crown between your right forefinger and thumb and rotate the crown clockwise. "Clockwise" means rotating it away from you. Wind slowly and consistently. Wind the crown as far as you can in each turn and then release it and start again.
Wind it this way until you start to feel some increased resistance. Be patient. For a completely unwound mainspring, this can take from 20 to more than 40 or 50 revolutions.
After you feel resistance stop winding.
Many people prefer to wind a watch using a rocking motion, i.e., alternating rotating the crown clockwise and then counter-clockwise. You can wind the watch in this way without having to remove your fingers from the crown. This has exactly the same effect on winding the mainspring as the clockwise-only approach, and it has the added benefit of putting a little back-wind into each cycle.
Try to wind it at the same time every day. Winding it in the morning is best because you will have consistent power throughout the day. This may also contribute to more accurate timekeeping.
When the watch is fully wound you will feel resistance as the mainspring tightens. That's enough winding. Don't try and force it any further. You could damage both the mainspring and components in the escapement.

Cheers
Harold
Steαм◦¢hicк
Deck Hand

« Reply #1463 on: September 28, 2009, 08:11:12 pm »

thank you so very much!  Grin
Quebrith
Snr. Officer

Are we not gentlemen?

« Reply #1464 on: September 30, 2009, 10:31:15 pm »

I don't know beans about watch movements (other than "oooh! pretty!") but the picture on the case is the Polish National Opera House in Warsaw. "150 LAT"=150 years, so that would put the date of your watch at about 1975-1983 (I don't know exactly when they celebrated their sesquicentennial). Maybe that will help you research the movement....

~.~ Capt. Quentin Quebrith ~.~

Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis
Snr. Officer

Codepunk

« Reply #1465 on: October 08, 2009, 05:47:25 pm »

Well I'm finally getting around to posting about my watch, only about 3 years old but I like it very much. I've taken a couple of pics, not wonderfully clear I'm afraid.

The maker's name reads "Royal, London," and has a crown above like the "suppliers to the crown" that you used to see on some products. I like that even if it's not the real thing. Smiley

There's an odd little psychological story behind this watch. When my mother bought it for me I thought it was an extravagant, embarrassing gift because I knew I could have a genuine antique for much less, but when mother's in the mood to spend money on me there's no stopping her. I didn't understand until recently that mother was trying to pay me for the time and trouble she cost me as I took her out every day for hours at a time, often more than once. Now I look at the watch and see a measure of just how hard I was working for my mother because not only have I not wound it more than 3 or 5 times but I have not opened it or even looked at the mechanism visible through the dial. Before today I never noticed that the mainspring and escapement are quite visible. It's so unlike me to fail to pay attention to these things I feel I've lost a good chunk of my life. I'd say I've earned this watch, but it's not enough compensation despite not being a cheap watch. Right now I don't know whether to keep the watch or try to trade it. I can't give it away or sell it or it'll haunt me. I can't throw it away because this is a £240 watch which I actually like, so I'd never forgive myself for discarding it! I think I'll keep it and use it every day, it's the only way. *shivers* Boys and girls, never let yourself be used without making sure of fair compensation.

Getting back to the watch itself, I have a battery of questions.

I'm a bit nervous about both getting it wet and about getting out a £240 watch at the bus stop. The chain has a belt loop ring but it would knock about a bit in a trouser pocket, wouldn't it? There's plenty else in my pockets, typically.

I suppose it's a bit late to ask, but will leaving it unwound for months will do it much harm? It's kept hung from its ring.

Finally am I right in thinking it should be serviced every 3-5 years? Should I have it serviced within the next year or two even though I've only wound it 3 or 4 times?

I found a couple of clearer pictures of the mechanism in this thread. (Yes I read the whole thing. I do that.) The dial on Herr Doktor's is identical to mine apart from the name.
I got one of those too, but I also got one of these:

also from Ebay, cost £50: it's says its a 'Charles-Hubert' of Paris, but on closer inspection, the mechanism is Chinese, but of a higher quality than the cheaper one, the front and back are both springed, and operate via the winder button, and it keeps good time, and takes around a day and a half to wind down. Only thing I don't like is the buttonhole clip, I'll have to replace it with a T-bar.

While shopping around for one of my own I spotted some very high quality watches of this nature over at The Gentleman's Emporium.

[snip]

I assume from those that the mechanism is Chinese, but I hope it's still higher quality (or better QA'd) than the £50 watches.

Click on (Image removed from quote) to see the pics.

It's funny, I like the look of my watch a lot better than most. I'm finding I generally like the looks of modern reproductions better than antiques, and the only watch I really like enough to seriously consider replacing mine is also new. Maybe I'm a watch collector born 80 years too early. Smiley With apologies to Mr. Krugar, it's this one:

this is my watch:

i love this watch Cheesy.
it costs £116 which is routhly $225.

Ardent about analytical engineering.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1466 on: October 08, 2009, 06:37:40 pm »

On that Royal.. Nice looking watch..
   No watch is waterproof, only water resistant to whatever rating it's been designed. Anytime you open the case for servicing, you reduce the water resistance, that's why one pressure tests them after servicing, to see that you;ve got it back to spec. At the very least you would install new gaskets when re-assembling.  I have never seen a modern pocket watch that is even remotely water resistant.  No crown gaskets or case gaskets, and certainly no dust seals, either.  The Royal probably has (from the looks of it) a Chinese movement, or at best a Swiss Unitas (if it doesn't read "Swiss" anywhere on the dial, well, it's an Asian movement, for sure.) The biggest problem with these movements, is not the design, or the manufacture, but the quality control. A good clean and lube generally works wonders with these movements. If its not run in a few years, it certainly would be worthwhile to have it looked at, as oils oxidize over time, and can get gummy.
  As far as the chain goes, hopefully, its a good spring ring, that goes onto a belt loop. If you don;t have a watch pocket, I'd advise against carrying it in a front paocket with other stuff. I have some dress panst that do not have awatch pocket, and while I generally don't have much in  my pockets, I'll make sure that there's nothign else in the pocket that has the watch int it. Less chance of scratches, that way. As an aside, its generally considered that for a front pocket, the chain should alow the watch to sit niceley on the pocket bottom, without a lot of slack i the chain. That way its supported by the pocket, and the chain is simply there as "fall protection" , as it were..

Cheers
Harold
Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis
Snr. Officer

Codepunk

« Reply #1467 on: October 08, 2009, 08:37:54 pm »

Alright! Thanks for all that info Harold. "Get watch serviced" is on my to-do list now.

You've got me wondering if there's a way to waterproof it. I don't suppose the hinges would take kindly to damp though, even if I could.

Edit: How do you get the back open? I've been trying with a knife - blunt stainless, since I couldn't see any other way. No scratches, but no joy either.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:43:41 pm by Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis » Logged
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #1468 on: October 09, 2009, 03:48:01 pm »

How you open the back depends on the watch case.  Some don't open.  Some pop open (there is usually a small groove cut for that purpose) some unscrew. 

The ones that don't open at the back usually hing open through the front.

I hope that this helps.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis
Snr. Officer

Codepunk

« Reply #1469 on: October 09, 2009, 07:07:25 pm »

Thanks Zwack. There's a hinge on the back 'shell' identical to that on the front, so I assume it does open but isn't a screw type, but there's no groove. On closer inspection there is a groove in the bezel surrounding the crystal, but I've applied all the pressure I dare to that with no result.
Mattheous
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #1470 on: October 11, 2009, 06:07:23 pm »

(I'm new to Steampunk, so please forgive me if I am not knowledgeable).

Those watches are beautiful!

Does anybody know of a site that sells high quality fob watches, and is reliable/safe? Especially a Doctor Who Fob Watch?

Has anyone ever bought a fob watch off Etsy? I found one that I just ADORE!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 06:29:53 pm by Mattheous » Logged

Legi Aut Mori
The Inventor
Snr. Officer

Cascadia now and forever

« Reply #1471 on: October 11, 2009, 06:19:52 pm »

Hay All I"m getting into collecting wind up pocket watches,
when I turned 18 I got a Colabri ? Maybe I spelled that right; 17 jewel watch which I loved dearly and would wear each Day.
Unfortunately I was standing too close to a sporting event and got tackled. The watch became a casualty of that day after
a long and highly outrageous series of events the people who sold me the watch failed to repair it, then lost it, then found it
and said they'd repaired it. It fell apart two days later on it's own no less. And finally refused to have anything more to do with
it. For reason's of stupidity on my own account I did not send it to the company immediately, and now they are in foreclosure or
some other problems and aren't even selling watches that I can find....

Question one;

Does anyone know where I can buy a nice looking pocket watch to wear to Steam Con for less than $30,
( not I'm not looking for one to last the ages, just a weekend or longer would be nice )

Question two;
To anyone living in Oregon or Washington,
   Does anyone know of a reputable watch repair place I could send my good watch to?
Dr Flonker
Zeppelin Captain

Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow, Inc

« Reply #1472 on: October 11, 2009, 09:05:49 pm »

Does anyone know where I can buy a nice looking pocket watch to wear to Steam Con for less than $30,
( not I'm not looking for one to last the ages, just a weekend or longer would be nice )

Check at your local Walmarts if a quartz movement is ok for you.  That's where I got my daily wearer, ran me a whole 10 bucks.  Mine has an eagle on the cover.

Mattheous
Gunner

Gravatar

« Reply #1473 on: October 11, 2009, 09:51:56 pm »

When I mentioned to my Grandfather about my wearing a pocket watch now, he presented me with an antique Masonic Watch Fob that was supposed to be given to my Father (but he never had any interest in joining, and my Grandfather and I are both Masons). It's amazing--16K gold, and the sphere unfolds into a cross with pyramid sections showing different Masonic Symbols.

Does anyone else use a watch fob? Anyone have any watch fobs that have great meaning to them?
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1474 on: October 11, 2009, 10:41:35 pm »

I have several, most interesting of which is  made from a piece of the Sikhote Alin meteorite.
What I would really like would be a nice Victorian fob, preferably with an intaglio carnelian..

Cheers
Harold
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: