The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 10:27:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Istanbul was Constantinople - I have the watch. Updated.  (Read 4299 times)
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« on: February 04, 2009, 06:07:45 am »

It's a Longines, a hunter key-wind pocket watch with white enamel dial, Turkish numerals, seconds subsidiary, the face and cuvette inscribed Longines, German Silver (.800) case, Nacib K. Dzezvedjian & Son, Constantinople on the face, "Naseeb" in old Turkish characters inside on the movement.

Problem - when wound, it will run, for a while.  Stops randomly.  A light shake will get it moving again.  Is this more likely a clean and lube, or just too much wear on the jewels?

Thanks for any help you can provide here.

And remember - now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople, been a long time gone, Constantinople...

Cheers!

Chas.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:26:14 pm by Captain Lyerly » Logged

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:48:46 am »

Lovely! Many of my favourite pocket watches have been Turkish editions. I especially love the quadruple-cased ones from 1700's...now, where did my stash of millions go?

As for it's problems, it sounds like a clean and lube, however there are many more experienced fellows here to confirm.

And remember, if you've a date in Constantinople, it's in Istanbul, not Constantinople..

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 02:06:12 pm »

Sounds to me like the balance wheel has come, well... unbalanced. A clean-lube-adjust should take care of it.

Wear on the jewels is extremely unlikely.

Pictures are, as always, very welcome. Cheesy

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 06:51:15 pm »

Clean and lube sounds more like it. If it runs, the balance staff is good, so that's a relief.  Jewels don't wear (at least not measurably).  The problem you typically see with jewels is a crack, typically from a  really bad shock to the watch..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 08:08:22 pm »

Lovely! Many of my favourite pocket watches have been Turkish editions. I especially love the quadruple-cased ones from 1700's...now, where did my stash of millions go?

As for it's problems, it sounds like a clean and lube, however there are many more experienced fellows here to confirm.

And remember, if you've a date in Constantinople, it's in Istanbul, not Constantinople..

What, not byzantium anymore! times have changed clearly.
-Matt

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/
MWBailey
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 04:08:41 am »

All I know is old cheapies (Westclox (carrying a Scotty right now, a clean-and-lube from a junk maller's box of about eight in various conditions of wear, etc.), Waltham, Woolworth no-names  left behind by deceased relatives, but your description does sound like it's just dirty, gummy gears.

Sorry, mainly clicked on this topic because I like the old song (lol). So...Why did Constantinople get the works? *rimshot*

MWBailey
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 04:34:25 am »

Sorry, mainly clicked on this topic because I like the old song (lol). So...Why did Constantinople get the works? *rimshot*

Old song. Oy. That would make me ancient then, it would.
The_Steam_Master
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 06:09:37 am »

well to be fair it -is- just over 55 years old
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 06:21:21 am »

And the tune is even older; Puttin' on the Ritz, written in 1929 Smiley
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 02:56:48 pm »

Ah - my mistake. I thought you were just talking about the "They Might be Giant's" cover of it. Smiley

Carry on.
SaintSeptum
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 11:16:59 pm »

That is, as I understand it, nobody's business but the Turks.

:-D

-St. Septum
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 02:43:00 am »

Piffle... age is all in your mind.... (and in your knees, elbows, other major joints and varied slightly malfunctioning bits)  Trust me, I know..

Cheers
Harold
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 02:48:09 am »

And the tune is even older; Puttin' on the Ritz, written in 1929 Smiley

That would explain why the earworm keeps mutating back and forth...

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 05:41:29 am »

They Might be Giants?  Hmm... I have an old gramophone disk around here somewhere, an earlier recording of the tune, I suppose.  Seems to have been a private label pressing, I believe the date is 1930, '31... I think I tried to play the newer recording on that shiny little disk, but my gramophone needle kept scratching it, never did get a tune off of it.

Oh, well...

Chas.
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 10:25:39 pm »

Update - I got the watch out the other day, and blew out the dust as best I could - a gentle mechanical puffer, not canned air.  Wound it up, set it - lost about 4 minutes in 24 hours, ran no more than about 36.  But it didn't stop during that time.  Very nice.  I have moved the speed adjustment, and will check it again.

I am a bit uncomfortable carrying any of the gold watches, as they are family pieces and with the price of gold these days...

This one is only .800 silver, not even Sterling, but it is enough of a risk to carry it.  And since it only has sentimental value for me, not the rest of the family - I bought it in Sinop, Turkey, in 1987 - I would feel bad about losing it, but it wouldn't be a loss to the family.

Cheers!

Chas.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 10:49:04 pm »

'tis most likely a piece of dirt in the watch; as it bounces around inside the workings, it'll occasionall get jammed in somewhere tight enough to stop it up.  Bit of a shake gets 'er loose until next time.  But ideally, you want to give it to someone to clean it out proper.  The problem is that while jewels don't usually wear much, the same can't be said for the metal pins that run inside of 'em.  There's supposed to be a tiny drop of oil inside each of the jewels that keeps the pinion from wearing, but that oil dries up and goes away after a while, and then what you have is metal rubbing directly on ruby.  And while that might not seem like a problem, remember that the balance wheel typically goes through 6000 revolutions per hour, which (over the course of a year of use) amounts to 52,560,000 revolutions.  That's a lot of wear.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 03:28:16 pm »

Thanks very much!

I will have to get it to a good man I know here in town.  There was an older gent who did watches; his grandson now runs an antiques auction place, and I wouldn't trust him with a Timex.

It will just have to go on my list... after about ten thousand other things... oy.

Thanks again!

Chas.
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 05:32:21 am »

Two points on your favor; 36 hours is not an uncommon run time for a watch meant to wind daily, and an error of four minutes is likely to vanish in a good cleaning.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:40:17 pm by Darkhound » Logged

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 06:16:43 am »

And remember - now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople, been a long time gone, Constantinople...

OOOOOOOO, OOOO WOOOOooooWOOOOooooWoooo...OOOOWOOOOoooWOOOOoooWOOOooo... Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: