The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 11:38:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elgin Grade 303 Update: got it in the mail a little help please  (Read 2619 times)
Zer0
Officer
United States United States

« on: February 03, 2009, 06:08:43 am »

I was just lucky enough to snatch up this pocket watch on ebay. An easy 45 dollars and it was like opening a present. I got the serial number from the ebay ad and looked it up.

Serial Number   SN Range Quanty Name Year grade size code   jewels Adj/reg/etc.
--------------  -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
      29027983  29026001  17000      1926 303    12s o3n3p      7j

grade total runs   first yr  last yr class  size  code   jewels Adj/name
----- ----- -----  --------  ------- -----  ----  ------ ------ ----------
303 2215000 371        1903     1939  114    12s  o3n3p      7j

Not a bad deal as I've seen them go for more then 100 dollars.

I'm still not sure how accurate the information is but i obtained it here: http://elginwatches.org/cgi-bin/elgin_sn?sn=29027983&action=search

I'm rather excited to recive it in the mail, its in working order but i plan on having it serviced.

EDIT: how do i set this watch.. it winds fine.. but i cant get the crown to pull out!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:13:59 pm by Zer0 » Logged

To see your world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower. To hold infinity in the palm of your hand, An eternity in an hour.  -William Blake.
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 06:31:20 am »

The Elgin watches database tends to be pretty accurate, If you post this in the Chronautomata subsection of tactile HAC might be able to give you a bit more information from the serial number.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
Zer0
Officer

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:36:47 am »

Could I get a move please mod? For the sake of not duplicating?
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 10:58:36 pm »

Oh, and such a lovely patina on the face!  I would be rather tempted to leave it as-is...

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:07:37 pm »

The Elgin watches database tends to be pretty accurate, If you post this in the Chronautomata subsection of tactile HAC might be able to give you a bit more information from the serial number.

Z.

That info from the Elgin databse is pretty much spot on.. 12s watches are pretty decent,a nd are often higher grade/quality than their larger 16s and 18s counterparts.
Nice find, and  the dial is not that bad.  If its a metal painted dial, it could be refinished easily, although I'd say its fine as is..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:11:51 pm »

Great looking watch Zer0. I quite like the layout of the Elgin movements from that period.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: