The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 04:25:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warlords, Rogue Generals, Captains, Engineers and Gentleman Adventurer's Club.  (Read 24122 times)
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Call me Ishmael

« on: January 30, 2009, 11:44:32 pm »

Are you tired of air pirates plundering your shipping? Tired of constant battles with moon men and evil minions?
Are you planning a coup d'état? A world war?
Raising a private army?
Perhaps you spend your time cruising the skyways, for a company, or perhaps the navy?
Or parhaps you just spend your time machining guns/building airships/weapons of mass destruction.
Either way, if you wear a uniform (or not), and you enjoy any of the above (or not), this club is for you.
A place to relax, tell tales of battles past, machines built and deals struck.
Me? Self-proclaimed Engineer and Captain of the RVNZ Yarmourth Castle . Completely barking. But that never stopped me.
Enjoy,
-matt
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 09:46:09 pm by Matthias Gladstone » Logged

Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:16:46 am »

Well I have always considered the maxim "I should never belong to any club that would have me as a member" but I would be pleased to make an exception in this case. Major Thadeus Tinker (Retired). Late of the 3rd Rajput Lancers and currently depot adjutant (on half pay don't you know) of the 2nd Battalion Caledonian Highlanders. (All totally fictitious but it gives me a character to hang the old helmet on)

BE SPLENDID!
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:16:37 pm »

I think I like this club. Of course, that entirely depends on whether I get the biggest hat. Or not, as the case may be. Wink

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:22:00 pm »

Sir Nikolas, I would expect you to have the largest hat of all.  Watch out for those native chappies though as they will be determined to acquire it.
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 11:31:58 pm »

It's good to know hat size is relevant. I think it suits this club right down to the bone.
I should state here though that while I don't have the biggest Zeppelin I do have the fastest and the most heavily armed, so nar nar na na nar. Grin
-Matt
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 11:43:10 pm »

It's good to know hat size is relevant. I think it suits this club right down to the bone.
I should state here though that while I don't have the biggest Zeppelin I do have the fastest and the most heavily armed, so nar nar na na nar. Grin
-Matt

I've got 1800 of varying sizes, a city that floats weightlessly in the sky, which is so heavily armed that it could eliminate the Isle of Wight with one shot from the main weapons, and a capital ship, called the IFS Zephyr. And when She's launched, nothing shall ever be the same again.

Grin
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:51:23 pm by Sir Nikolas Vendigroth » Logged
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 12:44:57 am »

And I'm just a career military officer used to dealling with nasty situations so if I can be of assistance to either of you fine gentleman just send your card to the Officers Mess, 2nd Btn Caledonian Highlanders.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 03:56:23 am »

I'm of the opinion that there are no problems that cannot be solved through judicious application of kinetic force. I like this place.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 08:28:01 am »

-Matt

I've got 1800 of varying sizes, a city that floats weightlessly in the sky, which is so heavily armed that it could eliminate the Isle of Wight with one shot from the main weapons, and a capital ship, called the IFS Zephyr. And when She's launched, nothing shall ever be the same again.

Grin

Proud as I am of it, it's not really that much of an achievement being able to destroy the Isle of Wight in a single shot.
As for your city, I have a weather altering death ray on my Zeppelin that will cause starvation and an economic crisis on it.
-Matt
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 08:37:38 am »

If you can win every battle effortlessly, what's the point in even existing?
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 09:30:40 am »

Hear Hear,

Where's the opportunity for acts of derring do and heroism?  Apart from any other problems when have Her Majesty's finest ever had access to the weaponry they really need to do the job?

At your pleasure gentlemen.
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 02:46:05 pm »

I can't win everything. We were just having a gentlemanly appendage waving competition.  After all, digression is the better part of Valour. Grin
-Matt
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 02:51:06 pm by Matthias Gladstone » Logged
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 04:07:13 am »

I have an airship. It has a gun on it. Do I win?

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 08:28:42 am »

No, but you do get a club membership.
-Matt
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 09:52:06 am »

Purchased a new airship! The RIA (Royal Iswaldian Airship) King Xavier XI. Here's a picture.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The small grey cigar shape, put in for scale, is a HMA Titanica class Dreadnought, currently the largest airship in the skies. The production of this airship nearly bankrupted Iswaldia, and the Nation was saved only by the timely purchase of the KXXI by my brother as a late birthday present.
I'm thinking of painting it. Any ideas on a colour?
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 11:56:40 am »

That's gone from the realms of the hyperbolically large into the "WTF" range.
karoshi
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 03:00:42 pm »

I'm thinking of painting it. Any ideas on a colour?

I'm seeing a crossover of inspiration from two themes here..

firstly you should paint the whole thing nose-to-tail with a blue skies / clouds base coat, which would render it mostly camouflaged from the ground

then, taking inspiration (backwards maybe, i know the time line doesn't track but you could explain it away using the Beeblebrox Paradigm.. time machines and faulty contraceptives  Wink) from the p51 mustang you should bless her with a giant set of shark teeth at the front a'la:

the overall effect would be something akin to the worlds largest Cheshire cat Cheesy

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 07:29:33 pm »

That's gone from the realms of the hyperbolically large into the "WTF" range.
That's how I like it. To rain down terror and destruction upon my foes whilst they are unable to do anything but stare at the sky in WTF-ery, Ahh, bliss.

I'm seeing a crossover of inspiration from two themes here..

firstly you should paint the whole thing nose-to-tail with a blue skies / clouds base coat, which would render it mostly camouflaged from the ground

then, taking inspiration (backwards maybe, i know the time line doesn't track but you could explain it away using the Beeblebrox Paradigm.. time machines and faulty contraceptives  Wink) from the p51 mustang you should bless her with a giant set of shark teeth at the front a'la:

[Picture clipped]
the overall effect would be something akin to the worlds largest Cheshire cat Cheesy

Hah! Brilliance! That would enhance the WTF rating by at least fourteen percent! Any idea where I might procure enough paint?
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 08:30:44 pm »

I can't win everything. We were just having a gentlemanly appendage waving competition.  After all, digression is the better part of Valour.
-Matt

Yeah, yeah, you've all got unfeasably large airships/fleets/weaponry. But how many of you know one end of a wrench from another? Who has to shovel half a tonne of coal every day just keep ya boilers stoked? Us Grease Monkeys, that's who. But since you've invited us, the Neferious Sprockets Society will amble over from time to time and drink your booze share our experiences.

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 09:45:20 pm »

That's fine, as long as you know which way to pass the port. Ratings are, after all, welcome to the officer's mess upon invitation. Grin
I think we need two more little things to help us on our way in this club one is a theme tune (or march, depending which way you look at it) and the other is a secret salute. I can't immediately think of a salute, but how's this for a tune:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-Matt
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 09:56:51 pm »

Very rousing, was anyone else waiting for the flatulent sound at the end? (*Composers everywhere shake their fists at Monty Python*).
Matthias Gladstone
Zeppelin Admiral

Call me Ishmael

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 10:19:21 pm »

I was hoping. I'll see what I can do; I think it'll counterbalance the pomp and ceremony perfectly.
-Matt
karoshi
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 11:16:47 am »

That's how I like it. To rain down terror and destruction upon my foes whilst they are unable to do anything but stare at the sky in WTF-ery, Ahh, bliss.

given the scale suggested in your schema, the barrel of one of the main cannon is going to be roughly 1800metres long.. you'll be able to rain down terror & destruction upon your foes by simply undoing the wrong breech bolt.. the saving you'll make on expended ammunition alone over the course of a year's campaign should pay for the upkeep of the ship.. genius Smiley
MWBailey
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 09:33:55 pm »

Now this is a classy place. All dark paneling, nice bar, recliners, yes, I'm completely tonkers, how are you...

I also have an airship, She's armed, innovative, and totally
impossible 
improbable
apochryphal
imperturbable, yeah, that's it. Cute little modified underslung, used to be a sidewheeler... Airship of the future she is, because...well, she's in hock to her scuppers. *ahem*

anyway, any room for an old banjo playin' Marauder from the Republic of Texas?
MWBailey
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 09:40:20 pm »

Theme tune: right, how about The Beautiful South's Carry On Regardless but performed by Rammstein? Arranged by Beethoven and remixed by Vernian Process.

With a flatulent sound at the end.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: