The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 05:00:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watches for sale...  (Read 1573 times)
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« on: January 29, 2009, 06:45:54 am »

I was in a Goodwill this evening and they had a pocket watch and a pendant watch for sale so I had a look at them.

The pocket watch was a Wesclox Pocket Ben.  It ran, but was missing the bow.  I pulled the back off to have a look at the movement and it contained a mix of brass and plastic (nylon?) gears making me think it was a more recent model.  They wanted $69.95 for it, which I felt was a bit much.

The pendant watch was a base metal cased "Zurich" swiss made watch.  Again I removed the back and it had a fairly modern looking movement, 1 jewel, unadjusted, looked nicer than the Pocket Ben.  Price  $7.95. 

My wife already has an almost identical watch so I didn't buy it.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the price on the Pocket Ben is excessive?

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 06:53:52 am »

That's a lot for a pocket Ben.. book price for a MINT pocket Ben is $30.00 (2009 Shugart Guide)

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Tobias
Officer

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 03:02:10 am »

Goodwill (at least the ones I'm familiar with) often end up with items they know nothing about.  The staff makes their best guess as to a fair price.  Sometimes the guess wrong, the trick is "buyer beware".
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:41:01 am »

Thanks Harold.  I thought the price was kind of high. 

I understand that Tobias, but my feeling is that they should aim for the lower end, especially when an item is obviously damaged.

Z.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: