The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 03:16:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon PocketWatch  (Read 6403 times)
Igaus N. Wierzba
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« on: January 22, 2009, 09:19:58 pm »

I am so very sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum to post this but I had to share with someone.
Also, while I still got my hat of and bowing down in forgiveness, I must ask for forgiveness for the bad photos. It was the best I could do with my mobile camera.

I was recently helping out some new friends with some work, I was just happy to help, when I found a pocket watch just sitting in a storage room, sadly broken but it was beautifully. I picked it up and asked if I could buy it from them.
Then they had a good laugh and told me that I could have it, it was the least they could do as a thank you.

So now I am in possesion of a pocket watch, a ... "dragon" on front (I become unsure now when I am sitting here looking at it but I would call it a classical Chinese dragon).
On the face it says "Picador 17 jewels" and what I figured out from it is that the spring is damaged and that the arms have fallen off.
I will attach pictures further down.

What I would want to know is what to do with it. Is it worth to get fixed at a watchmaker? Or just make it fancy and wear it around with me as a good luck charm? I have done a couple good things for myself this year (dropping some weight, 24 pounds) and being more happy and friendly, then this pocket watch appears from a place that I know like my own pocket. It is all rather silly but I love to cling to the small things.

Warning! Semi-big pictures!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

New Pictures:

On a side note: Can you wear suspenders below a vest on top of a white shirt? My pants are falling of but I don't know if this is "right" so to say.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 05:53:55 pm by Igaus N. Wierzba » Logged
Prof. Albrecht Von Taggërt
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Bettering mankind through science and engineering!

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 09:25:32 pm »

As blurry as the pics are it looks beautiful!

HAC (Harold) is our resident watch guru along with a couple of others. I would have one of the mods move this post to Chronautomata this way it will be seen by people who know much more =)

Best of luck!

Igaus N. Wierzba
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:31:16 pm »

As blurry as the pics are it looks beautiful!

HAC (Harold) is our resident watch guru along with a couple of others. I would have one of the mods move this post to Chronautomata this way it will be seen by people who know much more =)

Best of luck!

I am such a fool! Of course it should have gone there. I am sorry! It was not here when I was most active and now when I got back here I was all confused. I will message a moderator at once to get this sorted out.
Thank you! Yes, he have amazed me more then once with his knowledge and I would hope that he finds this intresting enough to answer to.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:34:17 pm »

It's hard to say for sure. If what's wrong is as simple as a spring, or a balance staff, then it probably won't be that expensive to fix, and might be worth it if you like the watch.

I don't know that it's "worth it" from a pure monetary evaluation (ie. cost of repair versus relative value of the watch on the market). From what I can see of the movement (better pictures may prove me wrong), it is one of the inexpensive chinese skeletonized movements. Which are typically easier and cheaper to replace, than to repair.

Perhaps Harold or one of the others will have more information.

Congratulations on losing the weight and your other self-improvements. It's starting off to be a pretty good year for me too. Smiley

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Igaus N. Wierzba
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:40:34 pm »

It's hard to say for sure. If what's wrong is as simple as a spring, or a balance staff, then it probably won't be that expensive to fix, and might be worth it if you like the watch.

I don't know that it's "worth it" from a pure monetary evaluation (ie. cost of repair versus relative value of the watch on the market). From what I can see of the movement (better pictures may prove me wrong), it is one of the inexpensive chinese skeletonized movements. Which are typically easier and cheaper to replace, than to repair.

Perhaps Harold or one of the others will have more information.

Congratulations on losing the weight and your other self-improvements. It's starting off to be a pretty good year for me too. Smiley

Well as long as it is not bound to break down in less then a year it might be of intrest to me to have it repaired even if it is a cheap one. But I just fell in love with it directly. I am glad to hear that you have had a good year too! Makes me happy to know I am not hoarding all the good stuff for myself Smiley
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 11:02:56 pm »

I suspect it's a Chinese movement. The easiest fx might be to find a similar watch and swap out the movement. Let me see if there are any parts/movements in the current perrin catalog (Perrin is the watch parts house in CAnada that I use)

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Igaus N. Wierzba
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 05:22:46 pm »

I suspect it's a Chinese movement. The easiest fx might be to find a similar watch and swap out the movement. Let me see if there are any parts/movements in the current perrin catalog (Perrin is the watch parts house in CAnada that I use)

Cheers
Harold

Thank you so very much! I am so very intrested in pocket watches but oh so un-informed about them.

I have now edited the first post with the new pictures that are a bit clearer from a flatmates camera, no directly above picture though sadly.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 05:53:29 pm by Igaus N. Wierzba » Logged
SalieriAAX
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 08:14:01 pm »

On a side note: Can you wear suspenders below a vest on top of a white shirt? My pants are falling of but I don't know if this is "right" so to say.

Absolutely, if you're referring to braces, as I suspect you are. That's how/where they're supposed to be worn.  Strictly speaking one's shirt should not be visible at all below the line of the waistcoat, even at the back.

None so knowing as he
At brewing a jorum of tea
Haha Haha
A pretty stiff jorum of tea
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 04:18:42 pm »

Indeed, I still find the American habit of referring to "braces" as "suspenders" confusing.  But yes, wear them over your shirt, under your waistcoat/vest.  They will hold your trousers up, but not be visible.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
Steven_Pounders
Swab

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 12:42:15 am »

I have a pocket watch that is identical to your, except for the dragon. Where yours has the dragon, mine has a decorative round opening with roman numerals showing the interior of the watch. The back of the casing and the stem of the watch, however, are identical to yours. Mine also has "Picador, 17 jewels" on the face.I bought the watch for about 10 pounds from a street vendor in Portobello Road, London. He had a large selection of similar watches for sale and I'm pretty sure I saw your dragon among them. I think the other respondants are correct. It's a fairly cheap, mass produced style of watch (with variations for the front of the casing). It's probably created for tourism, and that was my expectation - I was a tourist in London, looking for a keepsake to bring home. I'm from Texas, but if you get to London often, just tour the Portobello Road street vendors. You'll probably find a copy of your dragon watch - you could either get a new one or exchange the insides.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: