The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 03:13:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ugly, Belching Steam-Powered Tractors.  (Read 1772 times)
Marrock
« on: January 21, 2009, 12:40:53 am »

And aren't they beautiful. Wink

More steamy goodness from Dark Roasted Blend.

JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 12:49:25 am »

Fantastic! I had a dream with these things in last night Grin

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:58:26 am »

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder..   Grin  Grin
To my eye those are not ugly at all , even if there seems to be a lot of bad coal and some rather loose firing going on. Clear stack=running right, is what I was taught..
I must say, though that I find the American steam traction engines to be a little more ungainly than their UK counterparts. 

Nice pics, though.. I should go through my collection and post a few of the ncieer pics I have..

Cheers
HArold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Marrock
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 01:08:46 am »

Yes... yes you should, and the quicker the better.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 01:13:10 am »

Yes... yes you should, and the quicker the better.

I'll sort through them tonight...

Cheers
Harold
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 04:27:30 am »

When the warm weather returns to North America, these engines will return to public spectacles at shows of antique vehicles and steam-powered engines.

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 03:08:01 am »

They are basically traction engines with other functions aren't they. i believe I spotted a ploughing engine there as well.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 03:12:41 am »

They are basically traction engines with other functions aren't they. i believe I spotted a ploughing engine there as well.

Indeed you did. And traction engines were used (and really, designed) far more often as mobile power rather than motive power.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:14:30 am »

Indeed you did. And traction engines were used (and really, designed) far more often as mobile power rather than motive power.

Well, equally both I would say. However, 5 miles an hour is not quick enough for some people.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 10:47:32 am »

Well, equally both I would say. However, 5 miles an hour is not quick enough for some people.

Around these parts, not so much. The size of a typical farm field meant that cultivating with a ploughing engine would take at least as long and far more manpower than using a horse team, while a steam tractor driving across a field with plough in tow would have made faster progress downward than forward, due to the weight of the beast. Likewise, the roads of the day would barely support an engine alone, say nothing of a road-train with any number of freight wagons.

On the other hand, if you set the brakes on a Geo. White traction engine and strapped it to a Waterloo Mfg. Manitoba Champion threshing machine, you truly had a Miracle of Modern Science. It would take all hands from several farms to run the beast, but they could thresh a farmer's entire crop in a day or two, and be set up at the next farm the next morning before the dew had dried.

(Side note: at the Institute's main campus, we clean the laneway with a 1980s-vintage Geo. White 6-foot single-auger snow blower – just a little one.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:49:13 am by von Corax » Logged
Hikaro Takayama
Zeppelin Admiral

In Pennsilfaanish Deitschland

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 04:02:29 am »

To my eye those are not ugly at all , even if there seems to be a lot of bad coal and some rather loose firing going on. Clear stack=running right, is what I was taught..

You mean like this:

That is one of several steam tractors that are ran every year (actually twice a year) at the Cumberland Valley Antique Engine Association's bi-annual Steam and Gas show.  That particularl Peerless tractor was built not more than 20 miles from where the show takes place......

"It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion.
It is by combustion of coal and boiling water that the engines acquire speed.
For protection, the eyes acquire goggles,
The goggles become a warning.
It is by steam alone that I set my contraptions in motion."
Gryphon
Snr. Officer

A is for Aether

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 04:19:23 am »

Around here, steam traction engines were used primarily by lumber camps not farmers.  They'd drive one into the woods, rig a belt-driven buzzsaw to it, drag the felled, limbed trees to it with draft teams, and use the saw to section trunks into logs.  The logs were cant hooked onto huge skids and then the traction engine was used to skid the logs to the riverbank or rail line.  There are places in the woods where you can find the skid ruts to this day.

There is a beautifully restored, functioning steam traction engine on permanent outdoor display in Neillsville, Wisconsin next to the WCCN building.

My great-grandfather, James Witmer, was vice-president of sales for Case company, he peddled traction engines all over the world.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:21:16 am by Gryphon » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: