The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:38:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mutoscope  (Read 5266 times)
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« on: January 18, 2009, 10:12:28 pm »

This is basically a flipbook mechanized. The site goes into a fair amount of detail on construction. Unfortunately no animation yet but one is promised.
http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/01/how_to_mutoscope.html

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Wayland2002
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:15:58 pm »

It's a "What the butler saw" machine, I remember those from Blackpool when I was a child!
Camera Obscura
Officer
United States United States

Latin: Camera = “room” - Obscura = “dark"

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:42:12 am »

We have a mutocope from the 1890s. It works great. You drop a penny in and turn the crank. The title of this reel is "Bag Punching by Sadie Leonard" which was published by the Mutoscope Company in 1897.

----------------------------------------------------------------
“The illiterate of the future will be the person ignorant of the use of the camera as well as of the pen.”
      Maholy-Nagy, Vision in Motion, 1947
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 03:58:47 am »

Thank you! I have a photographer friend who likes to make flip books and have been wanting to recommend that he make one of these. I've tried explaining the machines to him, but didn't know what they were called. This will make things much easier.

"Tie two birds together,
and although they have four wings,
they cannot fly."
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 08:57:06 pm »

That would be an excellent project. In real Mutoscopes, the drive is geared down, and there's a flywheel and centrifugal governor, so the user has to turn the crank at about 50RPM.

The Musee Mechanique in San Francisco had a few Mutoscopes. I think they're at Fisherman's Wharf now, near the submarine exhibit.
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 09:14:02 pm »

The Musee Mechanique in San Francisco had a few Mutoscopes. I think they're at Fisherman's Wharf now, near the submarine exhibit.

Ah, Fisherman's Wharf, haven't thought about that place in years and years. My great grandmother used to take me there when I was a wee lad. We lived in Salem, OR at the time and would take trips down the coast and back in the summers. I used to love going to the Enchanted Forest and Paul Bunyon kiddie parks, and the sea lion caves. Smiley
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

Natural Historian, Bluestocking, Translatrix,

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 09:56:35 am »

I made a post about these waaaaay back there is a website that can convert your film clips into frames for one of these.

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/FlipbookPrinter/

Prof. Erwin Lindemann
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

Inventor of the Galvano- Æther-Telescope

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 05:22:09 pm »

At the Penny Arcade Museum in Brighton (close to Brighton Pier) they have several mutoscopes, some of with "naughty" films!  Shocked

For startes there are kits:
http://www.moduni.de/product_info.php/products_id/6098646
(o.k. not a mutoscope, but a zoetrope)

Here a real one, but more expensive:
http://www.modellbaubogen.com/

go to Diverse/sundry, then to Papier Maschinen /Paper automata
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

Natural Historian, Bluestocking, Translatrix,

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 08:36:05 pm »

I have the second one. I'm going to trace the shape before I make it so that I will have a rough template for making a wooden one.
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 10:35:22 pm »

For startes there are kits:
http://www.moduni.de/product_info.php/products_id/6098646
(o.k. not a mutoscope, but a zoetrope)

My previously mentioned friend already has several homemade zoetropes decorating his place Smiley
Marrock
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 12:29:53 am »

Way back when, the shoe store I went to the start of every school year had a couple of these, used to give my mother no end of grief pestering her for nickels.
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 01:30:33 am »

polyphemus - I have before me a rotary Rolodex, which could form the core of a mutoscope.

Rosel - Thank you for the information about converting film clips to cards.

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
drtuto
Swab

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 09:35:37 pm »

I have been trying to make one and am stymied by the barrel in the middle that holds the pictures.  Anyone seen a close up of how others have solved this problem?  How to attach evenly pictures on edge to an axle...

Thanks,

drtuto
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 06:44:55 pm »

I'm not sure how they did it, but there is someone who definitely knows.  See http://www.oldtimemovies.org/portfolio.html.  This guy has the original Mutoscope reel-making machinery and makes reels as a business.

Surprisingly, there are no Mutoscope machines or reels on eBay.  The promotional cards are collectables.  Many were considered "racy" (but today they're G or PG).

Adhesive bookbinding would probably work. The adhesive job has to be really strong, since the cards get pushed under pressure past the wooden release pawl.  See http://www.adhesivesmag.com/articles/bookbinding-adhesives for a discussion of the best adhesives.

Or you could fake it.  There's a steampunk group at a local community college that built something that looks and works like a Mutoscope, but it's really a LCD display in a Mutoscope-looking box with a crank connected to a flywheel and shaft encoder. The video had been processed through a "film look" program to add dust, scratches, inconsistent exposure, and jitter. It was quite convincing.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 08:59:03 pm »

Here is an instructable on how to make one: http://www.instructables.com/id/Mutoscope-The-Hand-Cranked-Cinema/

This looks to me to be practical but possibly not all that durable. I think  the original mutoscopes had the cards in some kind of slotted or spined hub rather than glued together as in this one, but it ought to work.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 09:41:34 pm »

Close up of Mutoscope reel

The cards are bound together as a book; the hub is just a plain cylinder. You just have to figure out how to make a strong adhesive-bound book.

The hard part is probably finding the right liquid bookbinding adhesive. Then clamp the cards into a block. Roughen the edges so the adhesive will penetrate (the Instructable does this with a razor; bookbinders use a grinder to take off about 1mm).  Put the adhesive into a shallow pan, to the desired depth (more for Mutoscope reels than for bookbinding) and lower the clamped block of cards into the pan, onto a backing strip. That way, all the cards will be glued to the same depth.

This will take some experimentation with different card stocks and glues to get right.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 09:39:05 pm »

That is an interesting inversion (literally) of what seems to have been done with the Insructable mutoscope since that seems to have pained the white podge glue stuff onto the top surface of a clamped batch of cards.

Either way, we are talking about doing a "perfec binding" job on the cards.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 04:56:35 am »

That is an interesting inversion (literally) of what seems to have been done with the Instructable mutoscope since that seems to have painted the white podge glue stuff onto the top surface of a clamped batch of cards.
Right. The goal is to somehow get uniform glue coverage on the edges of all the cards.  Production machines riffle the pages against a glue roller, then assemble the block.
Darkview
Gunner

Heaven sent and hell bent

darkview
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 04:13:05 pm »

Fabulous thread, really interesting.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 02:43:49 am »

Is there software somewhere that will covert a video file to images in printable format?
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 03:52:14 am »

Is there software somewhere that will covert a video file to images in printable format?
Check the Instructable mentioned above.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 03:55:20 am »

Any decent video editing package should be able to do this. All you're really doing is printing the video frame-by-frame. (You might need to down-sample the framerate, though — running a mutoscope at 60 FPS would give you a very short film and a serious arm workout.)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 01:37:57 am »

I'm never going to reach the end of my project list if I keep adding things to it....

( not that that is a bad thing.... )

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 09:33:12 pm »

Southport Pier, have a working example (or two?) of Mutoscopes all for the price of 1d

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: