The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 10:01:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converted pocket watch... Edited.  (Read 7439 times)
Doctor Frinkelstein
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 11, 2009, 08:00:47 pm »

Hello there!
I'm a lurker that's finally decided to build my own Steampunk Watch.
It's taken about nine months to collect all the pieces, (thank you eBay), but it's been a lot of fun.
It's based on an old Smiths pocket watch from the 40's or 50's. Not exactly the right period but I like it!

I'm still tinkering with it. It may need some illumination...

*EDIT*

I've continued tinkering and after fiddling around with the copper hour wheel washer, I've done away with it and fashioned a little bracket to hold it in place. I'm rather pleased with it!

I've also forgone putting any numbers or markings on it, I just like the way it looks as it is.

Still mentally designing illumination. Have you seen how small LED's are these days? Smiley
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:30:03 pm by Doctor Frinkelstein » Logged
Prof. Albrecht Von Taggërt
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Bettering mankind through science and engineering!

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:55:09 pm »

I really like that, it has that cobbled together look but is quite attractive! From what i can see the watch it's self is removable, which makes it even better!

Oh and Welcome the the forum!

Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 05:39:22 am »

Really very nice work, probably the nicest pocket watch conversion I have seen.

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
vt13013
Officer

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 01:10:12 pm »

I'd love to accomplish something similar with a compass, though the means to attach it to the wristband would have to be reworked, since the compass in question has a hinged lid.

Cheers.

Doctor Frinkelstein
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 06:36:19 pm »

I really like that, it has that cobbled together look but is quite attractive! From what i can see the watch it's self is removable, which makes it even better!

Oh and Welcome the the forum!

It is removable, Professor. It still needs the occasional clean and oiling to keep it going. All part of the fun!

I'd love to accomplish something similar with a compass, though the means to attach it to the wristband would have to be reworked, since the compass in question has a hinged lid.

Cheers.

VT, attaching it to the wristband was the hardest part until I found some little brass clothing tabhooks from a haberdashers. I hooked the main holder into that. I have a little brass sundial/compass that I'd like to wristify, I think I'm going to have the same problem you have!

Thanks all for the kind words!  Grin
Angel
Zeppelin Captain

Chrome dome, goggles on, dressed all in rubber...

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 01:03:19 am »

How does it fair on turning the watch upside down?

I've just disassembled an Ingersoll of mine (for good reason, of course) and when I removed the face, the middle cogwheel was loose. A method of keeping it down might be a good idea.

Also where did you source the brass wire? Was it expensive?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:05:11 am by Angel » Logged

"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 01:42:13 am »

I've just disassembled an Ingersoll of mine (for good reason, of course) and when I removed the face, the middle cogwheel was loose. A method of keeping it down might be a good idea.

Its supposed to be a loose fit on the cannon pinion, the dial washer keeps it in place correctly under the dial.. (and dial washers are incredible easy to lose, if you're not careful...)
If the watch was designed to have no dial (ie certain skeletonized movements), then there are other ways of ensuring the hour wheel stays put.
Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:54:09 am by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Dr Flonker
Zeppelin Captain

Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow, Inc

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 03:02:10 am »

Personally, I like pocket watches better, but this one grows on ya...

Angel
Zeppelin Captain

Chrome dome, goggles on, dressed all in rubber...

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 01:16:37 pm »

Its supposed to be a loose fit on the cannon pinion, the dial washer keeps it in place correctly under the dial.. (and dial washers are incredible easy to lose, if you're not careful...)
If the watch was designed to have no dial (ie certain skeletonized movements), then there are other ways of ensuring the hour wheel stays put.
Cheers
Harold

I understand it should be loose, to allow turning, but I meant loose along the length of the pinion. The only things keeping it in the watch are the hands.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 06:01:00 pm »

Exactly.. thats what the dial and dial washer do...The dial washer looks like a small dished brass washer, not very big. The dished shape allows it to apply pressure on the hour wheel, once the dial is in place and seated properly.. If you remove the dial and dial washer, the hour wheel should lift off the pinion easily. Dial washers are needed to hold the hour wheel (and the attached hour hand) in place under the dial, so that it meshes properly with the minute wheel. If the dial washer is deformed or, scratched, the watch may run slowly or stop.

Cheers
Harold
Doctor Frinkelstein
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 06:47:02 pm »

I have nothing to add to what Harold has already written, you can see the copper dial washer on the photos. I learnt how important it was when I accidentally bent it, rebent it to what I thought was the correct shape and then had a few days of erratic running and frustration! I could not work out what the problem was.  Grin

I'm thinking of putting jewels, studs or something similar where the numbers should be. Any suggestions?
Doctor Frinkelstein
Deck Hand

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 06:56:28 pm »

Cheers.

The brass wire was from eBay, do a search for brass hobby and jewellery wire. It wasn't expensive. I also used narrow brass rods from a model steam railway shop, CJW Steam, also on eBay. They've got everything you could possibly want!
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 12:24:40 am »

I have nothing to add to what Harold has already written, you can see the copper dial washer on the photos. I learnt how important it was when I accidentally bent it, rebent it to what I thought was the correct shape and then had a few days of erratic running and frustration! I could not work out what the problem was.  Grin

I'm thinking of putting jewels, studs or something similar where the numbers should be. Any suggestions?

How about small hexagonal bolt-heads, in a different metal?
On dial-washers... yeah, you usually found out about those the hard way, I know I did  Grin
Cheers
Harold
Doctor Frinkelstein
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 06:19:26 pm »

How about small hexagonal bolt-heads, in a different metal?
On dial-washers... yeah, you usually found out about those the hard way, I know I did  Grin
Cheers
Harold

Hmmmm, not a bad idea.... ta!
Doctor Frinkelstein
Deck Hand

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 11:46:42 pm »

Cheers.

Hi Angel, I've adjusted my watch with the addition of a little bracket to hold the hour cog in place. Photo at top. The dial washer was becoming a pain! Hope you sorted your problem out too!
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 11:49:08 pm »

Cheers.

Hi Angel, I've adjusted my watch with the addition of a little bracket to hold the hour cog in place. Photo at top. The dial washer was becoming a pain! Hope you sorted your problem out too!

Actually, thats'a rather clever solution.. Nice one..
Cheers
Harold
Doctor Frinkelstein
Deck Hand

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 11:54:23 pm »

Cheers.

Actually, thats'a rather clever solution.. Nice one..
Cheers
Harold

Hi Harold, I am rather pleased with myself! More through luck than judgement, the bracket doesn't actually touch the wheel at all! I had to bend a kink in the hands to accommodate it but it works really well.

Cheers!

F.
Verner
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 05:48:38 pm »

Beautiful work!  I'd love to hear more about the construction process...
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 10:00:26 am »

Beautiful work!  I'd love to hear more about the construction process...

Ditto, I've been thinking about something like this for quite some time.

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 01:31:10 pm »

Still mentally designing illumination. Have you seen how small LED's are these days? Smiley

Have you considered tritium tubes?

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Doctor Frinkelstein
Deck Hand

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 02:43:15 pm »

Have you considered tritium tubes?

I hadn't, because I'd never heard of them. Quick Google, Wiki and eBay later, and I've got one on the way! 6mm by 1.5mm, should be perfect. Thanks for the tip!
Once that's in, I'll see if I can do a dissection and rebuild, take some photos.
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 04:39:40 pm »

They're becoming quite popular, espeically with the larger watches (the "tube" approach takes up more room then the old "paint" methods).  Safer though.  And more period-appropriate for Steampunk (although if you <really> want, I know a place selling an old set of radium based paint.  They're in Canada, and can't ship it across the border though.)
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 05:42:39 pm »

I should imagine building a watch from scratch is no mean feat so heartiest congrats on the end product. It's really nice.

wristify,

Made Up Word Alert!! Wink

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Captain Quinlin Hopkins
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 05:53:03 pm »

They're becoming quite popular, espeically with the larger watches (the "tube" approach takes up more room then the old "paint" methods).  Safer though.  And more period-appropriate for Steampunk (although if you <really> want, I know a place selling an old set of radium based paint.  They're in Canada, and can't ship it across the border though.)

Only 1200 miles away.  Hmmm.. have to wait till I've a weekend off.  

Sincerely,
Captain Quinlin Hopkins (Hoppy)

Do not ignore the freedoms of someone else, for eventually you will be someone else! 

DFW Steampunk Illumination Society
Doctor Frinkelstein
Deck Hand

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 07:18:31 pm »

I should imagine building a watch from scratch is no mean feat so heartiest congrats on the end product. It's really nice.

wristify,

Made Up Word Alert!! Wink

Wristify? It's a perfectly cromulent word.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: