The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 10:55:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On which a pistol that uses Shotgun shells is searched for  (Read 39071 times)
Mr.Surly
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2009, 05:27:41 am »

Seen this yet?

http://www.teelgun.com/shotgun pistol.htm

You can get .22 birdshot.  My father had a 9-shot .22 revolver that he kept loaded with birdshot in his car, in case he saw a "soul chicken" -- don't know if that referred to a grouse or a pheasant.
Marrock
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2009, 05:37:59 am »

Seen this yet?

You can get .22 birdshot.  My father had a 9-shot .22 revolver that he kept loaded with birdshot in his car, in case he saw a "soul chicken" -- don't know if that referred to a grouse or a pheasant.

My father used to go out deerjacking with a single-shot bolt action .22 rifle and a flashlight with nearly dead batteries.
SteamKit
Snr. Officer

Call me Kit, everybody else does.

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2009, 07:38:06 am »

Seen this yet?

Will .22 birdshot take a grouse or a pheasant? I've never heard of such a thing being used on anything bigger than rats, mostly used instead of bullets because if you're out in the barn shooting pets the shot wouldn't put holes in your walls.

-Kit

Allen Personal Translocation Modules: Why travel when you can arrive?

I didn't become an unlicensed surgeon to be called "Mister."
Mr.Surly
Gunner

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2009, 03:34:19 am »

Will .22 birdshot take a grouse or a pheasant? I've never heard of such a thing being used on anything bigger than rats, mostly used instead of bullets because if you're out in the barn shooting pets the shot wouldn't put holes in your walls.

-Kit

Come to think of it, he never got anything.  Searching Google tells me that .22 birdshot is almost useless in a rifled barrel (like a revolver), as it spreads too much.  Evidently it's good for killing rats / mice / snakes where you don't want to harm the structure (i.e.barn).

In any case, if you search for ".22 birdshot" on Google, I can recommend against choosing the "images."  I was expecting to see some dead birds.  Some of the links had dead people from an autopsy, not pretty.
SteamKit
Snr. Officer

Call me Kit, everybody else does.

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2009, 06:17:07 am »

Yeah, I always thought that was the case. Also, in the last post, that should be shooting pests, not pets. I don't advise shooting your pets with any sort of bullet.

-Kit
Captain_MacNamara
Snr. Officer

Doktor Ordo Von Warcliffe

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2009, 12:38:15 pm »

I know this isn't "large", but I have seen some nice modded derringer type weapons before:

This particular beauty is chambered in .410 with 3" chambers, for use with full size .410 00 and 000 buckshot.

Grin

"He who sacrifices Freedom for *Security deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin
Everett R.I. Krowley, III
Snr. Officer

Federal Bountyhunter and Investigations Agent

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2009, 12:21:13 am »

Very Nice Captain_MacNamara

Mr. Surly: I did, in fact, look at that link you posted, I apologize for taking so long to post but I was waiting for others to say something so it wasn't my posting every other post, even if it was my thread ^^;

I agree with SteamKit, shoot pets is a bad idea ;_; *hugs his puppy*

I found out something about what I am looking for.  For my purposes the gun in question has to be 12 gauge and a pump shot gun, best for use of beanbag rounds
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2009, 11:31:40 am »

I remember reading they make beanbag rounds for 40mm grenade launchers. rubber buckshot too.

maybe make a PVC pipe pump shotgun looking affair, like a pump gun on steroids.

I believe there is a company in russia that makes a pump gun with the magazine tube and the barrel inverted, putting the barrel lower in the gun to counteract recoil.

I made this one a while back, a hybrid howdah of sorts

a revolver of smaller caliber with double barrels of a much heavier bore
Snr. Officer

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2009, 02:00:16 am »

.... those are rather drool worthy.  Nothing says "oh S#!-" like a rather large barrel like that, no?
The Kilted Yaksman
Snr. Officer

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2009, 12:13:41 am »

This is not my auction, but here is a rather choice (if expensive) airsoft piece: http://cgi.ebay.com/Hwashan-Airsoft-Shotgun-2-pcs-of-Green-Gas-Shell-New_W0QQitemZ370224583775QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56331ad45f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A3|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A50

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire
Snr. Officer

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2009, 12:15:46 am »

;_; and its a sawed-off pistol grip.  My favorite configuration, be it single or double barrel

Monkey Doodle at my coffers being empty! >.<
Kevin1632
Snr. Officer

Steam breakfast of Champions

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2009, 03:26:19 pm »

Sigh,
I have done extensive research,and the only place I have found that outlaws home made firearms is California. However you may not ->sell<- your fire arms without proof testing and a manufactures licence. The biggest hassle is in rifling the barrels, this is the obstacle that  shuts down most would be hobby gunmakers. Currently I am completing a run of 5 pump action pistols and two barrels fro a friend.
Another note, compleated firearms may not even be given across state lines, so if you are going to present such a gift in another state, leave final assembly and one or two assembly drill points until you are in the state where you are going to present the item.
Regards,
Kevin

Edit: Hope this is still relevant to you, I just now noticed after posing that the thread was 3 pages long.

Make sure that it's either non-firing, black powder, or you've got the proper licensing or this is very illegal. (About 5ish years worth of felonious illegal.) That said, I agree with Marrock. Flare gun. If you poke around you may even be able to find an older one. If you'd like something real, try black powder. For some bizarre reason a lot of US jurisdictions don't count them as "real" firearms.

-Kit

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Yet another pearl of wisdom from my father goes "If the cop didn't see it, I didn't do it".

True, true. I've seen my share of illegal firearms, but just make sure you don't get caught if you decide to build something working. If you've got the money and the right applications you could get a qualified gunsmith to build something for you and have it registered up. I do believe it's $200 for the tax stamp to have it transferred into your name, but then it'd be so nice and legal you could even take it to the range!

-Kit

MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2009, 03:44:00 pm »

What are you looking to build, something big and beefy that would do a lot of damage or something that has a wide spread.

For something nasty with a wide spread I'm reminded of the flint gun (at least that was what i think it was called) for one of the Cyberpunk 2020 (roleplay game) source books.

The premise of the flint gun is a pistol with a rough spinning disc inside, to which a special flint it pressed. In the sameway a toy spark gun creates sparks. However the disk spins hundreds of times faster and the shards that split off from the flint are larger and razor sharp.

It terms of gameplay it had awful range and low damage, but it was considered armour piercing, with a big "clip" and a vicious rate of fire. Oh and looked cool.

I think this concept could be done well as a steampunk gun. A heavy clockwork spring to power the wheel and a bar of tempered glass being fed into the top.
Snr. Officer

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2009, 09:19:39 pm »

well MechanicalMouse, I wanted something big and beefy, for intimidation.  I am reminded and inspired by that Warhammer Bolter Pistol build I found on these wonderful forums.  Save for the fact the ammo for my gun build (again not a Real working/firing pistol but a move-parts prop) would be beanbag rounds for non-leathality as the character the gun is for is a vigilante who will not kill
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2009, 11:13:07 am »

I think go for a bolter variant. Making it work might be difficult given the scale of the barrel and shells.

For non lethal firearms, the low velocity of the projectile suits compressed air or maybe a powerful spring (pulled back by a ratchet).

Instead of an automatic weapon, you could have a selection of shells for different purposes (bolass, oil slick, ball barrings, etc) which you insert before firing.
Snr. Officer

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2009, 02:21:25 am »

the character the gun is for might experiment on that ^^  but he's more straight forward on the beanbag rounds, keeping the collapsible bolas for a leg pouch *nod*

Thank you for all your help though ^_^
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2009, 04:55:24 pm »

I think go for a bolter variant. Making it work might be difficult given the scale of the barrel and shells.

For non lethal firearms, the low velocity of the projectile suits compressed air or maybe a powerful spring (pulled back by a ratchet).

Instead of an automatic weapon, you could have a selection of shells for different purposes (bolass, oil slick, ball barrings, etc) which you insert before firing.

The spring'd be a bugger to cock, though, and the air reservoir'd empty pretty damn' quick.

The better bet's to use normal beanbag rounds.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2009, 09:32:34 am »

The spring'd be a bugger to cock, though, and the air reservoir'd empty pretty damn' quick.

For the spring idea, I was thinking some kind of ratcheted lever or pull. Probably take 5-10 pulls to get to full power. Carried pre-sprung or 1/2 sprung. 1/2 sprung would be good, because you could adjust the power with a quick ratchet.

Not sure about the air reservoir, I never gone paint balling but they seem to last 15-30 minutes of heavy combat.

Propelling an easily deformable projectile like a bean-bag with gunpowder would require a semi-solid cap or wadding between combustion chamber and projectile.

It's not my character, but I've had similar characters, and I'd don't see them being involved in long running combat. More deliberate and thought out in action.
Snr. Officer

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2009, 11:33:51 pm »

all well and good except that my mistake was that the story this character is set in is Modern times.  I had posted this thread forgetting about that, but seeing as he'd have to smith the gun himself and make it from scrap I guess it survived the Mods *Shrug*
Herkimer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2009, 02:10:06 am »

Sigh,
I have done extensive research,and the only place I have found that outlaws home made firearms is California. However you may not ->sell<- your fire arms without proof testing and a manufactures licence. The biggest hassle is in rifling the barrels, this is the obstacle that  shuts down most would be hobby gunmakers. Currently I am completing a run of 5 pump action pistols and two barrels fro a friend.
Another note, compleated firearms may not even be given across state lines, so if you are going to present such a gift in another state, leave final assembly and one or two assembly drill points until you are in the state where you are going to present the item.
Regards,
Kevin

Edit: Hope this is still relevant to you, I just now noticed after posing that the thread was 3 pages long.

Make sure that it's either non-firing, black powder, or you've got the proper licensing or this is very illegal. (About 5ish years worth of felonious illegal.) That said, I agree with Marrock. Flare gun. If you poke around you may even be able to find an older one. If you'd like something real, try black powder. For some bizarre reason a lot of US jurisdictions don't count them as "real" firearms.

-Kit

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Yet another pearl of wisdom from my father goes "If the cop didn't see it, I didn't do it".

True, true. I've seen my share of illegal firearms, but just make sure you don't get caught if you decide to build something working. If you've got the money and the right applications you could get a qualified gunsmith to build something for you and have it registered up. I do believe it's $200 for the tax stamp to have it transferred into your name, but then it'd be so nice and legal you could even take it to the range!

-Kit

Please take no offense at this, I'm merely trying to save someone some heartache, and legal consequences.  Most states do not object to homemade firearms as long as they do not otherwise violate state law. However, under BATF rules, you must submit forms, and apply for a permit (called a tax stamp) that costs $200 per firearm. If your request is denied you won't get a refund. 

Of course this does not apply to cap and ball or flintlock firearms, but I'd be very careful to make sure that I was on good legal footing before constructing something that had the potential to get me locked in a big cage with real criminals.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2009, 10:23:26 pm »

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he state he wanted the gun to function as far as having moving parts but not actually a firing gun.
a replica of a non existant gun.
the only gun laws in question would be a safety red or orange tip to meet federal statutes and a check to see if replicas are legal in the local jurisdiction (many towns ban realistic toy guns now).

Snr. Officer

« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2009, 12:08:45 am »

I did actually say that Otto, thank you ^^
Yes, I want the heft and feel and if possible the moving parts of a working mechanism but it Will Not be firing, beanbag rounds or not, let the true gunsmiths build an actual Working-working prop ^.Q;

Don't mistake me, this has been a fascinating thread to read and useful when I finally build the monster.
Snr. Officer

« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2009, 03:37:10 am »

I love the American government x_X
That's just... THEY take it, modify it, and it's STILL your fault x_x

yessh!

ok, I'm done on that >>;

I feel I am lucky that my gun will look like its from a video game or some such, it will not look real.  However, the orange tip is a good call either way
Moose
Swab

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2009, 02:24:30 pm »

Surprised no one linked these guns:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those are pretty damn awesome @_@
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

I'm not Steampunk, I Live Steampunk....

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2009, 10:25:48 pm »

this is a .410 cane gun, awesome...

this is a .410 pistol, kinda scifi_ish

and this is a 12 gauge single shot pistol from the 1920s

i think the last is the closest to what the fellow who started the thread is looking for, kinda cobbles together and converted from other guns... but enjoy!

you gotta love livin babe, cause dyin is a pain in the ass -----
 frank sinatra
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: