The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 10:53:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On which a pistol that uses Shotgun shells is searched for  (Read 38844 times)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 03:54:53 am »

Again, I had forgotten about the no modern firearms rule of the board, and the more I think about it, the more the look of the gun is leading to that end.  which stinks because I don't want to get myself or anyone else on this wonderful board in trouble for rulebreaking.

I believe the "modern firearms" rule was intended primarily to prevent the sort of holy-war/flamewar which would inevitably occur if trolls were to happen upon a discussion of the relative merits of actual, commercially-available firearms, and the ill-will and rampant troll-baiting which would follow from that. The application of the rule seems to be considerably more flexible with regard to fantasy-ish prop "weapons" so long as they can offer some pretense of period-appropriateness. (For example, Herr Döktor some time ago posted photos of a raygun which is unquestionably atom-punk in apperance, and which I am currently too lazy to track down. Tongue )
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:58:14 am by von Corax » Logged

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Everett R.I. Krowley, III
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Federal Bountyhunter and Investigations Agent

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 04:11:48 am »

ahh.  so, as long as we keep it civilized and in the realm of near-reality/fantasy-next-door, we should be ok. ^^ excellent, excellent.

I'm still thinking a flaregun would be a good place to start.  it has the short, big barrel I'm looking for.  Might elongate the barrel a bit into something like the howdah pistol

I've already designed a grappling rifle using a sawed-off, modified shotgun for the character.  His charm is that he uses items from surplus stores as well as scrap parts from the junkyard he has a part time job at, as well as other things to create his crime-fighting tools.

that's why most of his stuff has a big/clunky dieselpunk feel to it.  because it IS big and clunky and punky.  >>; you should see what he calls his Motorcycle.

Anyway ^^;  I'll have to look at exactly what size the beanbag rounds come in, and work from there I suppose.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 05:09:26 am »

Something like Hellboy's Big Baby?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or perhaps the Tommy 20?

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
Snr. Officer

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 07:58:14 am »

The Big Baby is a bit too big.  This WAS planned for a sidearm, just Really Really big.  which is why I went with the Samaritan or, for something to build off of... the NERF Maverick but single shot... maybe triple shot, as the shotgun beanbag shells would be larger than the darts for the Maverick, no??
Wayland2002
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 09:41:29 am »

The non discussion of anything manufactured after 1914 is quite frankly a pointless and slightly childish rule. It technically makes it a breech of the rules to talk about the guns used in Sky Captain or Firefly for a start off. You can't talk about the Thompson sub machine gun as it was still in use into the mid 20th century. As another example I've got an early 17th century musket copy, this was manufactured in 2004, so even though the design is nearly 400 years old the weapon is actually only 4(ish) years old, so therefore much be banned under this rule.

Anyway it's perfectly possible to get pedantic about historic weapons and their effects. I would suggest that this rule was probably actually introduce not to stop "trolling" or discussions of modern weapons but to stop people with a detail knowledge of firearms correcting people that think they know what they are talking about (ie the 14 year old that though he knew everything because he'd read a book about WWII).

Any way, in a blatant rule break, I had a 1950's Webley shotgun that was 9mm. It would be perfectly possible to create a pistol from this..........................BUT it was next to useless. The whole point of a shotgun is that the cartridge holds a large amount of shot that can be held in a tight(ish) pattern over a reasonable distance (to make it easier to hit a small moving target ie a bird). If you make the cartridge smaller you are reducing the amount of shot and therefore it's usefulness. If you shorten the barrel the shot will spread very rapidly meaning fewer shot would hit the target ( this was part of the point of a sawn-off, as well as making it easy to conceal it made it less lethal).
If the idea is to adapt the shotgun cartridge to hold a solid projectile it would be impractical for use in a pistol. The charge required would cause massive recoil. A 12 bore cartridge is 0.75" (give or take) so why not go for a 0.50" like the one used in the desert eagle? It's still got fearsome recoil but it can actually be used.
As a suggestion to make the pistol more believable, mount the barrel(s) on some sort of spring arrangement that would absorb the recoil.
Snr. Officer

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 12:12:11 pm »

hrm.  nice idea.  then I would achieve something similar to the sliding of an automatic pistol, cool looking.

so many ideas, so many ideas ^_^
Gryphon
Snr. Officer

A is for Aether

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 03:09:52 pm »

Consider using a paintball pistol as a base - they are largish, multi-shot pneumatics, .68 caliber (equivalent to a 16 gauge shotgun, I believe,)  inexpensively available at pawnshops everywhere, and not at all illegal in most of the US.  I personally own an Ariakon Overlord for which I made custom walnut grips, a very "punkish" big pistol even without mods:

http://www.ariakon.com/overlord-rx.asp

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/101032238/T68_Paintball_Pistol.jpg

akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 05:46:59 pm »

ooh! I like the look of that Ariakon Overlord thing.. very evil looking! Grin

vt13013
Officer

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 08:59:49 pm »

A couple of items from the eBay. Not serious paintball items, but cheap and interesting...

http://tinyurl.com/8d96hj
http://tinyurl.com/74k5r9

Cheers.
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 09:06:58 pm »

My thoughts so far... a large slug would seem like a better choice to a shot cartridge, as the spread would be horrendous. As for the recoil, have you considered a mechanism akin to the Webley-Fosbery Automatic Revolver, but with the barrel on the underside like a Mateba Autorevolver?

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
Gryphon
Snr. Officer

A is for Aether

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2009, 11:28:56 pm »

Another option is the Mad Bull airsoft "BB shower" grenade launcher pistol:

http://www.madbullairsoft.com/English/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=agx
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:30:28 pm by Gryphon » Logged
Snr. Officer

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 03:00:07 am »

oooo  that Mad Bull airsoft pistol has the right feel, looks like a breech loader too.

as for the slug vs shot thing, I plan on the character using beanbag rounds/shells so... yeah Smiley
The Kilted Yaksman
Snr. Officer

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 03:25:27 am »

Maybe something like the Le Mat?  This one is a little more contemporary styled than the original percussion version.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire
Gryphon
Snr. Officer

A is for Aether

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 04:30:07 am »

Mad Bull makes compressed air shells that can be used to propel beanbags and such.  Airsofters often use them to fire 2" dia nerf Vortex mini-football rockets out of homemade "antitank guns."
Snr. Officer

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 08:41:57 am »

.... I... I suddenly have a very "sick" urge to make my own AA cannons x_X;;

I want to see one O.O
Wayland2002
Snr. Officer

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 01:52:12 pm »

Another alternative would be something similar to a Lemat (but heavier and cartridge rather than cap and ball), maybe a .45 or .50 revolver cylinder with a 12 bore shotgun barrel running through the middle.

Actually I might have a go at that myself!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_158_26/ai_86704796/pg_2

Edit: Damn, didn't notice that someone else had mad exactly the same suggestion a couple of posts above.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:28:24 pm by Wayland2002 » Logged
viltvodle
Gunner
Norway Norway

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2009, 12:07:38 pm »

what about a flare gun? Shotgun shells fit in most flaregun types. Although best to use the metal type, not the plastic(for obvious reasons)

"You will not find a solution to a problem, without know what the problem is first" - viltvodle
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 05:39:34 pm »

http://www.madbullairsoft.com/English/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=17

Cheesy Epic Want.
Dr Flonker
Zeppelin Captain

Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow, Inc

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 01:52:14 am »

Hm... a .410 gauge multi-layered 16-shot pepperbox...

.410... That would be bleaming huge!!!!!!!

if you use the gauge measurement as being a number for which so many of the cylinders could fit into the standard cylinder size

thus 12>20     so .410 is ... well ridiculous

.410 is only .41 cal.  You can shoot .410 shells in a .45 Long Colt revolver.

Snr. Officer

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2009, 12:44:13 am »

x_X I return to my thread!!

I had to wipe my Computational Engine's operating system and install it, I lost all my data and virtual bookmarks x_X
SteamKit
Snr. Officer

Call me Kit, everybody else does.

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 11:32:10 am »

Edit: Hope this is still relevant to you, I just now noticed after posing that the thread was 3 pages long.

Make sure that it's either non-firing, black powder, or you've got the proper licensing or this is very illegal. (About 5ish years worth of felonious illegal.) That said, I agree with Marrock. Flare gun. If you poke around you may even be able to find an older one. If you'd like something real, try black powder. For some bizarre reason a lot of US jurisdictions don't count them as "real" firearms.

-Kit
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 11:36:50 am by SteamKit » Logged

Allen Personal Translocation Modules: Why travel when you can arrive?

I didn't become an unlicensed surgeon to be called "Mister."
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2009, 10:13:40 am »

for a few years there were black powder derringers that looked more like short little howdah guns. the barrel ends had a fat ridge like a cartoon cannon. the quality looked dubious at best.
there are flare guns sold army surplus that would look good as tip open single shots but again a constable would take a very dim view of parading around with one as a prop

one of my older builds based on a teargas gun (ignore the uzi front addition)

actually very easy to make, mostly plastic pipe and a cookie can

another thats more like a bolter from warhammer

the maveric would be a good start, the cylinder is big enough to pretend it shoots bean bags , the barrel end certainly looks big enough. a good paint job would make it convincing enough.

I would be tempted to add some sort of shoulder stock, maybe skeletal or folding. to give it a sort of boba fett feel.
if you were to leave it just a pistol, you can cut a good deal of the grip off and change that area, maybe a tommy gun style grip or a revolver style round butt.

just put together some sort of holster with dummy shotgun shells on the belt or a bandolier
Marrock
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2009, 01:45:18 pm »

Edit: Hope this is still relevant to you, I just now noticed after posing that the thread was 3 pages long.

Make sure that it's either non-firing, black powder, or you've got the proper licensing or this is very illegal. (About 5ish years worth of felonious illegal.) That said, I agree with Marrock. Flare gun. If you poke around you may even be able to find an older one. If you'd like something real, try black powder. For some bizarre reason a lot of US jurisdictions don't count them as "real" firearms.

-Kit

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Yet another pearl of wisdom from my father goes "If the cop didn't see it, I didn't do it".
SteamKit
Snr. Officer

Call me Kit, everybody else does.

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2009, 11:09:55 pm »

-Kit

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Yet another pearl of wisdom from my father goes "If the cop didn't see it, I didn't do it".

True, true. I've seen my share of illegal firearms, but just make sure you don't get caught if you decide to build something working. If you've got the money and the right applications you could get a qualified gunsmith to build something for you and have it registered up. I do believe it's $200 for the tax stamp to have it transferred into your name, but then it'd be so nice and legal you could even take it to the range!

-Kit
Snr. Officer

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2009, 12:18:36 am »

well this would be a non-firing prop, despite being a "working" prop.  You know,  it's got the heft and moving parts but doesn't fire.

I wouldn't carry it on the street anyway, maybe if my writing for the character ever gets popular I might dress up at a convention gathering or something heh.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: