The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 10:56:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sean's Skeleton Pocket Watch  (Read 2610 times)
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« on: January 09, 2009, 05:20:42 am »

Finally got the big macro lense out to get some pictures and... the batteries died. Charging as we speak.

I found this thing in some mall in Vancouver half a dozen years ago. Sold from a stall, it cost me 12$. Accordingly, it only lasted for two more weeks. I suspect I may have overwound it, in my youthful excitement of having the thing, but its been so long that I don't rightly remember. This is the piece that made me fall in love with clockwork and the pocketwatch.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Again, the camera died before I could take a better set of pictures. The wood is cracked at 12 and 7 o'clock, but holds on fine and I sort of like that. The word on the front is 'Lomond.'

Does anyone know about this watch?

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
markf
Goggleologist
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 01:59:56 pm »

Wow, that's pretty cool acutally, like it a lot.  markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 07:09:50 pm »

It'd be even cooler if it worked... I cans till remember what it looked like. Now all I can do is shake it sort of, and watch a few of the pieces spin about a few times after...  Cry
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:38:40 pm »

Lomond? not Lemond?

If you are able to get a better picture of the movement (back) we can probably figure out more. It's likely a chinese movement, and could be just a matter of a clean and lube to get it working again.

Overwinding would be an issue with an olderwatch, but IIRC, isn't much of an issue to worry about with a new one. More likely the balance is stuck or something is binding.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 08:02:53 pm »

Just a quick note on photographing watches - or indeed anything small - try using a flat bed scanner set to a reasonably high resolution, normally works a whole lot better than mucking about with cameras.
Toodle pip.

Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
Calvin and Hobbs.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 06:56:03 pm »

Just a quick note on photographing watches - or indeed anything small - try using a flat bed scanner set to a reasonably high resolution, normally works a whole lot better than mucking about with cameras.
Toodle pip.

Good tip! I often forget you can do that. I've got a pretty good tabletop setup and macro lenses (since that's a big part of what I do), but for people without such amenities, even a cheap flatbed will offer tremendous resolution and detail.

Put a large sheet of white paper draped over the top of the object for a nice gradient neutral background. Cheesy
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 03:38:42 am »

How did I miss this thread?? Silly me..
A good movement pic would help, if we can figure out what it is, it can probably be easily replaced/fixed..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Nefthys
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Captain of the Airship Odonata

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:44:49 pm »

You could always come to Banff on sunday Hac and then you can look at everyones broken pocket watches!! Cheesy

We would buy you dinner of course.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Good, you bring the hot oil, I'll get the gears!
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 09:00:39 pm »

The most peculiar thing just happened. I heard a ticking, and the watch is moving again. Some of it anyway. It's going at at least double-time or more. The second hand does not normally move like that.

Edit: After closer study, I find that the other two hands are moving as well, and it's still going fast.

Most peculiar indeed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 11:46:52 pm by Sean Patrick O-Byrne » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: