The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 03:28:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inexpensive mechanical automatic wristwatches  (Read 3065 times)
Professor Damien Tremens
Officer
United States United States

« on: January 08, 2009, 02:16:14 am »

It seems that there is a fairly commonly used Chinese movement (the Sea-Gull ST16) that
is being used in a wide variety of wristwatch brands. Some of the specs include the following:
40-hour power reserve
21 jewel automatic skeleton movement
water resistant to 165 feet
solid stainless steel
Exhibition back (shows decorated rotor & 'blued' screws)

I picked mine up from a Buckle store in a rather beefy "antique copper" case and band, and
after researching the markings on the rear of the case, found out the info above. My particular
watch seems to run about 10 seconds fast over 24 hours.

For the most inexpensive version I found:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6562454

I believe this is just the movement itself, with no case, band, or even hands:
(scroll about 3/4 page down, Chinese Automatic Movement HZ2189)
http://www.ofrei.com/page1119.html   

Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:21:37 am »

DX has some really cheap ones that customers seem to find surprisingly usable!  I almost bought this one a while back, but didn't have enough in my checking account...

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 06:27:01 am »

As far as quality goes, the Segull movements are actually very good, better in fact, than the ubiqutitous Million Smart movements.

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Professor Damien Tremens
Officer

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:07:00 am »

As far as quality goes, the Segull movements are actually very good, better in fact, than the ubiqutitous Million Smart movements.

Cheers
Harold

Assuming that the bare movement I noted above is the same, just how insane would it be to order one and
try and make a custom case out of wood, brass, copper, etc? I have reasonably good expertise with woodworking,
and am getting fairly skilled with brass etching. I would probably use an existing strap, so the focus would be on
the case itself, with an emphasis on showing the full skeletonized movement via crystals on both the front and back.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:09:19 am by Professor Damien Tremens » Logged
Ancient Tinkerer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:03:50 am »

I got the Walmart one for Christmas a couple years ago. Works like a champ, never gains or loses but it will rundown on the nightstand in about 12-14 hours.

john
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 05:53:55 pm »

Cheers
Harold

Assuming that the bare movement I noted above is the same, just how insane would it be to order one and
try and make a custom case out of wood, brass, copper, etc? I have reasonably good expertise with woodworking,
and am getting fairly skilled with brass etching. I would probably use an existing strap, so the focus would be on
the case itself, with an emphasis on showing the full skeletonized movement via crystals on both the front and back.

Its feasable, but possibly pricey. I don't know what a mimimum order from a Chiense manufacturer would be.. Ofrei lists a skeletonized Swiss ETA 6497 in eitherr gold plate or rose gold plate for $248.00..
as well as a Chinese 12ligne (27mm) skeletonized automatc for $33.00..
I'll see what my watch supply house in toronto says..

Cheers
Harold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: