The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 12:12:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: List of Steampunk Movies  (Read 196419 times)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #625 on: February 04, 2013, 04:11:21 pm »

I have to disagree with Maets on Cloud Atlas. It certainly improved on the book in terms of making the stories feel more interlinked IMO but the downside was it was harder to draw the exact links, and I think it would have been possible only for the sharpest to pick up on the fact that the stories were linked if it weren't for the actors all being the same in different time periods.

In terms of steampunk content it was minimal.

Yes I've certainly heard mixed reviews, will reserve judgement until I've seen it. As I seldom take much notice of showbiz news, I only recently discovered one of the Wachowski brothers is now a Wachowski sister.

In other news Tai Chi Zero is now out on DVD and Blu Ray.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #626 on: March 10, 2013, 08:38:11 am »

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned as of yet, so I'm curious, has anyone seen The Last Rites of Ransom Pride? It stars Lizzy Caplan and Dwight Yoakam and has a very Weird West feel to it. I personally enjoyed it but seeing as people's tastes are different I could accept an argument against it. Anyway, long story short, I'm wondering what you all think of it.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #627 on: March 10, 2013, 09:58:33 am »

I have to disagree with Maets on Cloud Atlas. It certainly improved on the book in terms of making the stories feel more interlinked IMO but the downside was it was harder to draw the exact links, and I think it would have been possible only for the sharpest to pick up on the fact that the stories were linked if it weren't for the actors all being the same in different time periods.

In terms of steampunk content it was minimal.

Yes I've certainly heard mixed reviews, will reserve judgement until I've seen it. As I seldom take much notice of showbiz news, I only recently discovered one of the Wachowski brothers is now a Wachowski sister.

In other news Tai Chi Zero is now out on DVD and Blu Ray.

Now, Tai Chi Zero I have an interest in seeing.

Yeah, ha, ha! the (now) Wachowski sister...  All we knew is that he (now she) was very reclusive, and now we know why! 

IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #628 on: March 17, 2013, 11:38:00 pm »

It's not really Steampunk, but if you haven't seen it, I would heartily recommend Alan Shearman's 1985 film "Bullshot", about the dashing and gallant Captain Hugh 'Bullshot' Crummond.

Set in the late 1920's, this is a spoof of the 1929 series about Bulldog Drummond. The film contains a dastardly German villain, Count Otto Von Bruno, a damsel in distress, kidnapped scientists and evil plots to control the world, and in addition to some beautiful costumes, country houses and vintage cars, it contains some fantastic, steamy devices like the vocal remodulator and a device designed to cause "involuntary vocal slippage".

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Geoffrey, take their coats. No, not up the tree..."
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #629 on: March 25, 2013, 11:54:44 pm »

I recall the Bullshots enemy has female partner in crime who attempts to seduce Bullshot by wearing a virtually backless dress...

IGetPwnedOften
Snr. Officer

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer

« Reply #630 on: March 27, 2013, 12:04:16 am »

Ah, the she-devil, Lenya Von Bruno...

Ian Mcbean
« Reply #631 on: April 15, 2013, 05:19:20 pm »

Wheather it belongs there or not, I really liked Treasure Planet and was disappointed that it didn't do better. Additions: Around the world in 80 days, with David Niven, and Cantinflas, made in the late 50s I think. Just a suggestion as it's been a long time since I saw it. Another one to kick around Somewhere In Time, The music is on of my two favorite sound tracks, the other being blade runner. As I don't want this thread to get off on a tanget I'll say no more about that.
cmflash
Swab

« Reply #632 on: May 19, 2013, 08:42:49 pm »

How about Disney's   In Search of the Castaways and Island at the Top of the World?  Grin
cmflash
Swab

« Reply #633 on: May 19, 2013, 08:55:47 pm »

Also perhaps, The Great Race with Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis.
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #634 on: July 05, 2013, 11:09:36 pm »

I just watched a cut-price movie with Malcolm McDowell in it (at some low point in his career) called '20003: The Deadly Wake.'  There was a lot of steam in it, and dials and gauges.  It featured a futuristic robot and a Celtic? sea witch, and a post-Apocalyptic world-dominatrix femme fatale.
Has anyone seen it?  Is it a ghost story, a sort of Flying Dutchman myth?  Is it considered a steampunk movie?

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #635 on: July 06, 2013, 12:41:28 pm »

I just watched a cut-price movie with Malcolm McDowell in it (at some low point in his career) called '20003: The Deadly Wake.'  There was a lot of steam in it, and dials and gauges.  It featured a futuristic robot and a Celtic? sea witch, and a post-Apocalyptic world-dominatrix femme fatale.
Has anyone seen it?  Is it a ghost story, a sort of Flying Dutchman myth?  Is it considered a steampunk movie?

I wasn't aware of it and had never heard of it. But having read some of the highly amusing and frankly appalling reviews it got I just have to seek it out. Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #636 on: July 07, 2013, 01:42:23 am »

Nimbus Machina on Vimeo

I've definitely noticed a recurring anti pollution/climate change type theme in many of the Steampunk animated shorts. I guess it quite ideally lends itself to that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:54:10 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #637 on: July 11, 2013, 10:47:56 am »

Hansel & Gretel:Witch Hunters

Loved this! Co Produced by MTV so you get an idea of the audience they're aiming at. Chock full of hilarious anachronisms (it's in an unspecified year but given it's a Bros. Grimm story I guess we're talking mid 19th century). There's milk being delivered in bottles and each bottle has a little 'missing child' parchment tied to it. The newspapers have sensational 'tabloid' like headlines. It's very silly but very entertaining. But the weapons!! Oh my..their weapons are just brilliant. Steampunk with a capital 'S'.

This also looks like it might be the first in a franchise trilogy as well..I hope so..I'd like to see more of these two!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #638 on: July 16, 2013, 09:30:09 pm »

I haven't watched it, but judging from the description people might like Los Ilusionautas. It's a peruvian animation, where some kids travel back to the time when Jules Vernes' stories took place. They then have to "put right" the stories.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #639 on: July 16, 2013, 09:48:57 pm »

Hansel & Gretel:Witch Hunters

Watched it last night. Enjoyed it so much I watched it again this afternoon. Then I found out that the DVD/Blu Ray is 'extended' so I'll no doubt watch it again.
tipmyhat
Deck Hand
Netherlands Netherlands

TMH is a publishing and consultancy firm that help

daannoordeloos
« Reply #640 on: August 13, 2013, 09:12:58 pm »

Love the list! Need to update my watchlist
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:16:38 pm by tipmyhat » Logged

“Steampunk is what happens when goths discover brown.” – Jess Nevins.

Best way to descibe it!
Zorro
Gunner

Swordsman, Gentleman, Scholar

« Reply #641 on: August 16, 2013, 09:34:08 pm »

Man with a Million

Though it does not contain any advanced steampunk technology, it is based in the early Edwardian period and has all the pomp and circumstance of high English society, and so deserves an honorary mention in the list.
dreambig
Deck Hand

« Reply #642 on: August 20, 2013, 05:13:16 am »

Man with a Million

Though it does not contain any advanced steampunk technology, it is based in the early Edwardian period and has all the pomp and circumstance of high English society, and so deserves an honorary mention in the list.

Edwardian? Hmm...I may check into that one.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #643 on: August 29, 2013, 10:45:35 am »

OUTPOST 11.Found this on LoveFilm last night. It's described thus;
Set in an alternative past where steam power still rules the world, an Army Unit in a remote Outpost are given one order. The order sets free an alien being that is not only set to destroy the whole unit, but possibly life on earth itself.

trailer here...
Outpost 11 (2012) trailer
Doctor Cogg
Deck Hand

« Reply #644 on: September 12, 2013, 09:19:29 am »

Looks rather interesting. I may have to seek it out and purchase it.
Doctor Cogg
Deck Hand

« Reply #645 on: September 12, 2013, 09:28:07 am »

Released September 30th and available from Amazon for the princely sum of £8.00.
Paul TManuel
Banned user
Swab

« Reply #646 on: December 17, 2013, 08:35:33 am »

Thanks for sharing such a great collection of movies.....
dreambig
Deck Hand

« Reply #647 on: April 10, 2014, 02:39:11 am »

Latest trailer for Texas-made indie film Frankenstein's Monster (2013). It's still on the independent circuit and hopefully it'll be screened in London this August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7kmvyrklrU

Their webpages:

www.fb.com/steampunkfrankenstein

www.steampunkfrankenstein.com
Teetering Tim
Deck Hand

Working man's desire

« Reply #648 on: May 01, 2014, 05:21:47 am »

Great work gents. really good stuff here.  Lips sealed

"To where are you bound my young lad?"
"Not where sire, but when"
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #649 on: June 26, 2014, 08:51:39 am »

Has "Age of the Dragons" with Danny Glover been mentioned here?

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: