The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 06:31:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: List of Steampunk Movies  (Read 195408 times)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #575 on: March 18, 2012, 04:50:25 am »

Yeah it's not great. I enjoy some of the costumes, props, and FX, which is the same reason I like The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but the film itself is fairly pants.

The truth is I just don't think anything's come along to rival the old movies. Everything from Disney's 20,000 Leagues to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and indeed much older stuff like this...

Fabulous World of Jules Verne - Part 1 - Karel Zeman

They all have a magical vintage vibe about them which is hard to recapture.

This is still one of best modern Steampunk offerings imho, although obviously it's animation not live action.

The Mysterious Explorations of Jasper Morello

And this also looks like it's going to be very good if it ever actually gets released.

HENRY WALTZ - VISUAL TEASER

I just watched "The Warriors Way" I'd never heard of it but I found it cheap second hand and thought it looked mildly entertaining. I'm not recommending it as a great movie or anything, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, and it certainly does feature some quite cool Weird West stylings.

The Warrior's Way - Official Trailer [iamROGUE]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:30:35 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #576 on: March 18, 2012, 10:33:59 am »

The truth is I just don't think anything's come along to rival the old movies. Everything from Disney's 20,000 Leagues to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and indeed much older stuff like this...

Surprisingly, Fabulous World of Jules Verne, was made in 1958, four years after Disney's 20,000 leagues under the sea.

But I agree, my introduction to what is now known as steampunk was watching Verne and Wells inspired movies on Saturday early evening television. Which in turn lead to me reading the books of Jules Verne and HG Wells.

In my opinion, the "Golden age" of Steampunk movies was the late 1950's and the early 1960's

20,000 leagues under the sea (1954)
Master of the World (1961)
The Time Machine (1960)
Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)
First men in the moon (1964)
The City Under the Sea (1965)
From the Earth to the Moon (1958)

to name but a few.
Indigo Spire
Officer
United States United States

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #577 on: March 19, 2012, 06:47:20 am »

Yeah it's not great. I enjoy some of the costumes, props, and FX, which is the same reason I like The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but the film itself is fairly pants.

They all have a magical vintage vibe about them which is hard to recapture.

This is still one of best modern Steampunk offerings imho, although obviously it's animation not live action.

The Mysterious Explorations of Jasper Morello

And this also looks like it's going to be very good if it ever actually gets released.

HENRY WALTZ - VISUAL TEASER

I just watched "The Warriors Way" I'd never heard of it but I found it cheap second hand and thought it looked mildly entertaining. I'm not recommending it as a great movie or anything, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, and it certainly does feature some quite cool Weird West stylings.

The Warrior's Way Trailer (HD)

It has to be about the script, I mean League and WWWest had huge budgets and thin plots.  The part I enjoyed most watching League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was the assembling of the league.  After they leave Dorian Gray's study, it is all down hill.........
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #578 on: March 19, 2012, 11:48:35 am »

[Surprisingly, Fabulous World of Jules Verne, was made in 1958, four years after Disney's 20,000 leagues under the sea.

It may have been made later and on a much smaller budget but I find it much more entertaining and, dare I say it, more Steampunk. Definitely seeking out and available on DVD.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #579 on: March 20, 2012, 12:51:50 am »

Yeah I didn't actually realise it came after, I just assumed it was older because obviously it looks it. I must confess I'm still pretty new to Karel Zeman's work, but definitely like what I've seen so far.

I think part of the problem with some of the modern Steampunk movies, is that they often seem to get approached with perhaps a little too much whimsy. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but it doesn't always translate well. (again the old masters seem to do whimsy a lot better)

I don't see why there can't be some serious and quite believable stuff made. I genuinely think The Difference Engine could potentially be a terrific film for example. It would take some work to make a coherent script out of it. I like the way the book jumps around with the characters personally, and I did feel it all came together very cleverly in the end. But that would probably need to be illustrated a little more heavily in the film to work.

I'm about to read Boneshaker actually, I hear a film of that is on the way.
William hyde
Gunner

"Evenin Guvnor."

« Reply #580 on: March 27, 2012, 06:34:11 pm »

The Mysterious Explorations of Jasper Morello Is very good.
And theres a couple of good bits in Sukerpunch.
Oh and the odd bit in Mutant cronicals that I got for a whole 1 pound.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:40:01 pm by William hyde » Logged

" No doubt you're thinking to escape and save the day? Sorry old chap not this time."
Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #581 on: March 31, 2012, 01:37:23 am »

I just checked and I am a bit suprised to find that Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows has not been added to the list.

While revisiting this thread I was also surprised to discover that a film adaptation of the novel Boneshaker will be made. This should be interesting...

"We often mingle with the world, but our discovery is hidden away, as it can be in a small compass, and no one suspects who or what we are. We pass as tourists among our fellow-men" - Mystery Airship Pilot 1858-1898
kidkunjer
Gunner
England England

« Reply #582 on: April 06, 2012, 06:25:52 pm »

being new to steampunk i used to consider myself a lewis-carrol-goth... so i can sort of recomend Jan Swankmejer's "Alice" as the definitive version of the victorian classic, with lots of lovely clockwork, victoriana and other things that may interest the steampunk, however whether it is actually a steampunk film is hard to say...
Nuaie
« Reply #583 on: April 15, 2012, 11:20:48 pm »

Just saw Hugo last night, it must! must be on that list. It carries the aesthetic of steampunk just splendidly.
Indigo Spire
Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #584 on: April 16, 2012, 02:08:50 am »

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter......anyone seen this yet?
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #585 on: April 16, 2012, 12:19:51 pm »

It's not actually released yet. But I read the book and this is one I'm personally looking forward to.

However, I've given this warning elsewhere, those dolts at Asylum are already putting out their 'knock-off' version; 'Abraham Lincoln VS. Zombies'. As I've only ever seen one of their films that was even half way decent I wouldn't hold out much hope for that one. Wink
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #586 on: April 16, 2012, 12:25:22 pm »

Just saw Hugo last night, it must! must be on that list. It carries the aesthetic of steampunk just splendidly.

Yes,  I saw Hugo last week. Loved it. Not only a delightful story, beautifully filmed by Scorsese and well acted by the (mostly British) cast but also included a fabulous re-creation of the days of early film making.

Saw MicMacs for the first time this weekend. Really enjoyed that, too. Not pure steampunk but certainly containing elements. Steampunk aspects notwithstanding, though..still just a really enjoyable film.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #587 on: April 16, 2012, 07:10:29 pm »

Saw MicMacs for the first time this weekend. Really enjoyed that, too. Not pure steampunk but certainly containing elements. Steampunk aspects notwithstanding, though..still just a really enjoyable film.

I too enjoyed MicMacs. I think you can see some of the steamy parts in this trailer:

MICMACS Official Trailer!

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
Indigo Spire
Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #588 on: April 17, 2012, 03:06:21 am »

It's not actually released yet. But I read the book and this is one I'm personally looking forward to.

However, I've given this warning elsewhere, those dolts at Asylum are already putting out their 'knock-off' version; 'Abraham Lincoln VS. Zombies'. As I've only ever seen one of their films that was even half way decent I wouldn't hold out much hope for that one. Wink

I believe they put out a Sherlock Holmes movie... I watched 5 minutes of it before I had to change the channel....pure crap.
BB BlackDog
Officer

aka lieutenant Jager Schnitzel

bbblackdog
« Reply #589 on: April 19, 2012, 04:30:20 pm »

Finally saw Hugo, enjoyed it, but not a classic, the new Sherlock was up to expectations, looking forward to Prometheus next, any more future classics out soon ?

Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU
Maxwell B. Cooper
Officer

Imitation shows a lack of imagination.

« Reply #590 on: April 24, 2012, 09:50:54 pm »

I just recently watched the Three Musketeers, definitely some steamy eye candy (and I don't mean Milla Jovovich  Tongue). It was interesting to see Orlando Bloom play a villain though.

Three Musketeers - Official Trailer 2 [HD]

“One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.” – Elbert Hubbard

The Imperial Code of the Second British Empire:
1. Be decent.
2. Carry on.

“If I could create an ideal world, it would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians.” – H. P. Lovecraft
Jarvis Oswald
Deck Hand

« Reply #591 on: April 24, 2012, 10:21:27 pm »

Are the people doing Henry Waltz the same people who did Jasper Morello?

SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #592 on: April 24, 2012, 10:32:46 pm »

That looked fantastic until the actor playing d'Artagnan opened his mouth  Undecided

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #593 on: April 25, 2012, 04:26:01 am »

Are the people doing Henry Waltz the same people who did Jasper Morello?

Totally Different as far as I know, although I suspect the one may have influenced the other. I believe Jasper Morello directed by Anthony Lucas was from an Australian production company, and Henry Waltz is directed by Hungarian Emil Goodman. It sounds like there are more installments in the pipeline for the Morello series.

http://www.jaspermorello.com/gazette/

http://henrywaltz.com/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:28:27 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #594 on: April 26, 2012, 01:29:04 pm »

For what I have seen from both movies, I find Jasper more Victorian (Steampunk) and Henry more Art Deco (Dieselpunk). Both beautiful made movies. I'd like to see more of these.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #595 on: April 26, 2012, 07:09:18 pm »

On doing further research into Henry Waltz, I'm quite awestruck by what a truly DIY effort it is. This is doubtlessly why it's taking so long but it's really quite incredible.

FLYING VEHICLE WERK

I think he's using an adapted Xbox 360 kinect sensor for motion capture.
kidkunjer
Gunner
England England

« Reply #596 on: April 29, 2012, 12:25:20 pm »

That looked fantastic until the actor playing d'Artagnan opened his mouth  Undecided

Unfortunately i found it to be vacuous nonsense. perhaps its because the young man playing d'Artigan has an extremely punchable smugness to his face.

Its a shame as i so enjoyed the Michael York version, but perhaps that's because i have a hetero-man-crush on the young Oliver Reed. (Bill Sykes anyone?)
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #597 on: May 02, 2012, 06:32:14 pm »

i so enjoyed the Michael York version, but perhaps that's because i have a hetero-man-crush on the young Oliver Reed. (Bill Sykes anyone?)

Nope, it's because it's one of the best films ever, that's way.  Smiley
Captain Braid
Snr. Officer

« Reply #598 on: May 07, 2012, 09:20:08 am »

Having just watched it last night I have to add my recomendation about Hugo as well.
While personally not a devotee of Scorsese movies this one really earned my respect, excellent visuals, Great Performances (even from someone I don't particularly like), good story, and a complete FEEL of the era.
Loved the side "cameo" references to Django Reinhardt in the Cafe orchestra.

If someone was to do a Big Budget Steampunk 'adventure' movie they could themselves no real harm by taking this as a starting point for the atmosphere.

Experienced enough to know my limitations,
Old enough to know better,
Relaxed enough not to care.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #599 on: May 08, 2012, 09:47:42 am »

It does sound like this could finally be about to see the light of day...

http://www.wotw-goliath.com/video_trailer02.html
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: