The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:02:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: List of Steampunk Movies  (Read 197315 times)
steamed
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #550 on: January 31, 2012, 02:15:18 am »

MechaPanda reminded me of an animated movie I saw once about ten or so years ago that i remember being mildly steampunk: it was set on mars, dealt largely with two types of psychics being trained/used/manipulated by the government, one type were naturally born that way and others had the seeds of psychic abilities that were enhanced by pills given to them by said government; eventually all hell breaks loose (pardon my language) and some psychics make a break for a spaceship which takes them to earth and they create atlantis, during their escape all life on mars is obliterated due to some kind of war or some such thing.
honestly i have asked everyone i know about this movie and no one has a single clue about it, not even a viable lead...anyone got any thoughts?

Would this have been "E.Y.E.S. of Mars?  A review of the film is here: http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=19

mrtoken03
Swab

« Reply #551 on: February 08, 2012, 02:33:24 am »

Good question!  Cheesy

Films such as The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec, Hugo, The Three Musketeers, Sucker Punch and apparently the new Sherlock Holmes, all feature Steampunk elements, in many cases quite deliberately. But whether they are any good or not is another matter (I haven't seen them all so can't even give you a personal pov)

There are some independent shorts around as well, but the same question applies.
Thanks
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #552 on: February 08, 2012, 10:49:27 pm »

Another for the list of television shows:  Q.E.D.  from 1982 with Sam Waterston, about a Sherlock Holmes-style Eduardian inventor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q.E.D._%28U.S._TV_series%29

Unfortunately it was short-lived, and as near as I can tell, it's unavailable anywhere.

Damn! never heard of it. I have no idea what it was like, but chances are if it came along now it would acquire at least something of a cult following (unless it was really diabolically awful of course...nah probably even then)  Cheesy

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Bookgal1977
Deck Hand

Everythings a story. You are a story -I am a story

« Reply #553 on: February 10, 2012, 06:35:39 pm »

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but while its not a movie its a wonderful Anime TV series. Last Exile has some great characters, the designs are wonderful, and the story is for the most part, very well written.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 09:50:55 pm by Bookgal1977 » Logged

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. -Douglas Adams
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #554 on: February 10, 2012, 07:03:52 pm »

Another for the list of television shows:  Q.E.D.  from 1982 with Sam Waterston, about a Sherlock Holmes-style Eduardian inventor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q.E.D._%28U.S._TV_series%29

Unfortunately it was short-lived, and as near as I can tell, it's unavailable anywhere.

Damn! never heard of it. I have no idea what it was like, but chances are if it came along now it would acquire at least something of a cult following (unless it was really diabolically awful of course...nah probably even then)  Cheesy

Available on iOffer for $8 / £5 inc. postage. Just Google 'Q.E.D. Sam Waterston iOffer' and you'll find it. Also, lots of other obscure SciFi series from the 80's and 90's. Obviously transferred to DVD from video but a reasonable enough watch for the price.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
HeikeM
Gunner

aka Lady Bêlit of Bristol

HeikeM
« Reply #555 on: February 10, 2012, 07:53:39 pm »

Available on iOffer for $8 / £5 inc. postage. Just Google 'Q.E.D. Sam Waterston iOffer' and you'll find it. Also, lots of other obscure SciFi series from the 80's and 90's. Obviously transferred to DVD from video but a reasonable enough watch for the price.
[/quote]

Thank you soo much for the link, have ordered it immediately!  Smiley Smiley

An ideal world would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians - H.P.Lovecraft
GameraGX
Gunner

Student of Occult Studies

« Reply #556 on: February 13, 2012, 09:35:36 am »

MechaPanda reminded me of an animated movie I saw once about ten or so years ago that i remember being mildly steampunk: it was set on mars, dealt largely with two types of psychics being trained/used/manipulated by the government, one type were naturally born that way and others had the seeds of psychic abilities that were enhanced by pills given to them by said government; eventually all hell breaks loose (pardon my language) and some psychics make a break for a spaceship which takes them to earth and they create atlantis, during their escape all life on mars is obliterated due to some kind of war or some such thing.
honestly i have asked everyone i know about this movie and no one has a single clue about it, not even a viable lead...anyone got any thoughts?

Would this have been "E.Y.E.S. of Mars?  A review of the film is here: http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=19

Thank you, thank you, thank you! OMFG! Now I can't wait to see it again, despite the review! This is something that I have literally been searching for since I was a child! You have my eternal gratitude!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:27:47 pm by GameraGX » Logged

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Professor J. Cogsworthy
Zeppelin Captain

Aude Aliquid Dignum

« Reply #557 on: February 15, 2012, 08:13:09 pm »

oops nevermind

No, no no, a thousand times no. Its pronounced - lah-BOHR-ah-tor-ee
Indigo Spire
Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #558 on: February 20, 2012, 08:33:40 pm »

What about the movie 9?
Wouldn't that be considered SteamPunk?
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #559 on: February 20, 2012, 08:49:42 pm »

What about the movie 9?

Technically it's stitchpunk.

Toll the Great Bell Once!
Pull the Lever forward to engage the
Piston and Pump...

Toll the Great Bell Twice!
With push of Button fire the Engine
And spark Turbine into life...

Toll the Great Bell Thrice!
Sing Praise to the
God of All Machines!
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #560 on: February 20, 2012, 10:56:55 pm »

What about the movie 9?

But 'stitchpunk' is a genre title that only applies to '9'..I defy you to name any other film that could be described as 'stitchpunk'...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:11:48 pm by Capt. Dirigible » Logged

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Wot's a personal text?

« Reply #561 on: February 21, 2012, 12:50:39 am »

What about the movie 9?

But 'stictchpunk' is a genre title that only applies to '9'..I defy you to name any other film that could be described as 'stitchpunk'...

True. Nevertheless, the director says it's stitchpunk. It's its own genre.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #562 on: February 21, 2012, 02:07:41 am »

the phrase "Prentious Moi?" springs to mind, though I did quite like film

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Indigo Spire
Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #563 on: February 21, 2012, 04:35:09 am »

What about Disney's 20,000 Leagues under the Sea?
Omg! I have a VHS tape of that thing! No VHS player, got rid if that years ago - but found the tape helping my mom move stuff in the basement.   I love Captain Nemo ❤ So handsome, so dapper.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:18:03 am by Indigo Spire » Logged
Bookgal1977
Deck Hand

« Reply #564 on: February 21, 2012, 04:08:25 pm »

Oh and I forgot this one: Spirit of Wonder. There's an anime film from the 1990's thats impossible to get, and another from the 2000's that you can got on DVD. There's some typical panty shots and some nudity, although not in a sexual way, so I'd rate it maybe 16 years old and up, but its got men going to the moon in a lighter than air ship in one story, and an accident with a mad scientist shrink ray in another. Seems to take place around the 1910's although some of it could be considered disel punk, and some is just out there crazy scifi.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:47:55 pm by Bookgal1977 » Logged
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #565 on: February 22, 2012, 04:09:45 am »

But 'stitchpunk' is a genre title that only applies to '9'..I defy you to name any other film that could be described as 'stitchpunk'...

I immediately thought of Dr. Phillip Decker from the 1990 movie "Nightbreed".

And then there is "SEBASTIAN'S VOODOO" Though it's only a four minute short.

As far as being a genre, we can take it back surprisingly far! As shown here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Indigo Spire
Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #566 on: February 25, 2012, 02:54:55 am »

Hi everyone!

What do you think about the movie "9"? Can It enters in the list?

This is the trailer: http://youtu.be/OnoJecu9e7c

Nope.......I tried to pose this film to the group and was told it was stitch punk.
On a separate note... I am trapped in the Miami airport and am so happy to have this to read.  I have a list of must see movies now....so THANKS!
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #567 on: February 26, 2012, 12:32:46 pm »

Oh and I forgot this one: Spirit of Wonder. There's an anime film from the 1990's thats impossible to get.....

Watch on youtube [sadly/badly dubbed]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #568 on: February 27, 2012, 01:10:37 pm »

Oh and I forgot this one: Spirit of Wonder. There's an anime film from the 1990's thats impossible to get.....

Not impossible...
http://www.otakucastle.com/product_info.php?products_id=1266&gclid=CNb9psqPvq4CFZAhtAoddHTuGA
KunuChuck
Swab

« Reply #569 on: February 28, 2012, 01:38:05 am »

I personally don't see Tank Girl, Buckaroo Banzai, or Dark City as being particulary SP. 

... In the meantime, any suggestions would be appreciated.

New here so pls. be understanding! I have some suggestions but want to post them in rel. to each other. When i saw "Buckaroo Banzai" I was surprised! I love that film and have since  it came out, but to me, it's SO "New Wave"/Punk but modern-day punk and thoroughly '80's, I've got to think about it more...

If I were to suggest a film set in "modern" times, I'd go with "Repo Man" - only dead aliens, no Lectroids from 8th Dimension, etc. Though the whole Orson Welles/Grover's Mill, NJ hoax, DOES seem pretty steampunk (in the 1930's).  Hmmmm..... Undecided
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #570 on: February 28, 2012, 05:10:24 pm »

It doesn't count as a feature film, but we have just finished making this little film/music video thingy for your pleasure.
(Click the link below if you fancy seeing it...)

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #571 on: March 06, 2012, 08:26:29 pm »

As well as having the previously mentioned 'Boneshaker' in the works, Hammer Films are now also working on 'Gaslight' in which Jack The Ripper aids Scotland Yard to fight vampires.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #572 on: March 06, 2012, 10:58:13 pm »

sounds err tasteful  Undecided
Bookgal1977
Deck Hand

« Reply #573 on: March 07, 2012, 03:35:16 pm »

I might be wrong, but I believe thats the second one from the 2000's. However, Neon-Sun's youtube link is the one I was refering to in the 1990's. I think the subtitle was "The Ring of Miss China"

However, the one you're referencing here is a great one as well, and the segment "The shrinking of Miss China" is one that I remember thinking seemed like some kind of weird funny blend of HG Wells and Richard Matheson. Its wonderful, I really recomend both films.
Indigo Spire
Officer

Cheers Darlings!!!!!!

« Reply #574 on: March 17, 2012, 07:02:16 pm »

I just watched Wild Wild West for the first time yesterday - Will Smith and Kevin Kline......
What a horrible movie!!! So BORING!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: