The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 06:36:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The next periodical "punk" subculture to be created?  (Read 3524 times)
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 11:51:47 pm »

I'm waiting for nostalgia and re-enacting to catch up with the early 1980s.  Then we will see Punkpunk.

Oh crap.

Over the years, I've sometimes wondered what will happen when nostalgia catches up with itself, and especially what will happen when it gets ahead of itself ...

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 12:18:15 am »

*wonders if my grandchildren will wear immaculate white labcoats, turn their bedrooms into dust free clean rooms and praise the wonders of good oldfashioned quantumpunk while constructing particle accelerators out of recycled electronics*

Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 02:51:23 am »

I'm waiting for nostalgia and re-enacting to catch up with the early 1980s.  Then we will see Punkpunk.

Oh crap.

Over the years, I've sometimes wondered what will happen when nostalgia catches up with itself, and especially what will happen when it gets ahead of itself ...

Well, we all know that nostalgia isn't as good as it used to be.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
loquax
Swab

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 04:59:22 pm »

Part of the problem here is that before the whole *punk term came along, people were always consciously borrowing from earlier times and reinterpreting it through their own perspectives. When Napoleon invaded Egypt, there was a craze of "neo-Egyptian" (or something along those lines) art. Same with the whole Arts and Crafts movement, they borrowed from Medieval sources and re-interpreted it. If we want to stay in the trope of steampunk and cyberpunk, dieselpunk makes great sense as it is the dynamic engine (no pun intended) of the time. However, I would be careful, going down this route we may find such terms as flintpunk, bronzepunk, ironpunk, woodpunk, clockworkpunk, candlepunk, whaleoilpunk, etc being suggested (if they haven't already). We could suggest using neo-* but then we would have neo-Neolithic and the like.
I can only imagine the day when someone mods an old 1964 Mustang to run of some kind of nano-fusion energy source, puts a 1980's Macintosh computer on the dash, and starts promoting petrolpunk.
leeps
Zeppelin Captain

Philadelphia

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 05:50:53 pm »

Sometimes I think punkpunk already exists. When I see kids now wearing their Sex Pistols shirts and spikey-tops, I have to wonder whether they are paying homage to the late 70's punk, or do they think it's still around? And when I wear MY Sex Pistols shirt, do the kids think "Why is that old lady wearing a punk rock shirt? What does she know about it?"

Edward Fairfax Rochester Fan Club
("What the deuce is to do now?")
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: