The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 02:01:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The next periodical "punk" subculture to be created?  (Read 3521 times)
baron sterling
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:11:51 am »

Hi everyone, i'm a new member here even though i've kinda lurked here for a while. Anyway, this topic has probably been beaten to death before... maybe, but I have a question for you. This whole "-punk" thing started with "cyberpunk", and has spawned and inspired the idea of the "steampunk" subculture, which has become, without a doubt, very popular. Eventually, however, another offshoot will be created. The thing I have come to the conclusion of, though, is that this must be based around a certain era of history that invoked a certain architectural image, social movements, dress, music, film (maybe), and technological growth.

Now the fun part with this is taking the era and turning it on it's head and pumping it with creative steroids. This gives it a somewhat apocalyptic tone, and making a period of the past seem far more futuristic than the present. The era that I came up with that could fit the bill was:
 Art Deco Era, 20s-30s. This can work well because there are fantastic fictional stories already set in a futuristic themed art deco world. I would guess that it would be called "Decopunk", hah.

Screenshot from bioshock:

Batman cartoon series from the 90s had a heavy art deco theme

Musically, this era relies on old jazz, swing  and cabaret music. theres already a band that you may or may not have heard of that has a Deco/Cabaret feel to them, called the Dresden Dolls:http://www.myspace.com/dresdendolls

Though I guess it depends on what attracts the most creative and clever chaps to get a punk theme moving in any direction.

So what do you think will be the next to spawn?
elShoggotho
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:36:16 am »

Around here, we call it dieselpunk. Wink
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 11:46:53 am »

Yup, Dieselpunk. I dress somewhat in that style, really.

Also, the next 'punk' has been under quite a bit of discussion: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=11540.0

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 11:51:36 am »

Atomicpunk is also semi-established. Essentially a 1950s thing with atomic power being quite abundant and cold war stuff. I don´t think it has the distinctiveness of the others though.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Esmerelda
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 03:08:30 pm »

All I can say is, if there is a DecoPunk movement, it will Amanda Bloody Palmer's fault.

Reality seems valueless by comparison with the dreams of fevered imaginations; reality is therefore abandoned.”
Emile Durkheim
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 03:42:40 pm »

This whole "-punk" thing started with "cyberpunk", and has spawned and inspired the idea of the "steampunk" subculture
Technically steampunk started about 150 years before cyberpunk Wink Only back then it was called normal and "the industrial revolution" Cheesy

But I digress Smiley What you have described is what people are calling dieselpunk, with a hint of dystopia Wink

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Racer and Explorer

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 05:37:39 pm »

I see dieselpunk as having two distinct threads really - there's the Deco sort, where people travel in sleek Raymond Loewy-esque vehicles and where everything is clean and perfectly functioning. I'd suggest the TV adaptations of the Hercule Poirot stories with David Suchet have a bit of this flavour to them.

Then there's the grimy sort, where people dress army surplus and machinery fires up with a good blast of black smoke and a snarl that suggests "noise regulations" weren't invented in that timeline. I suppose the latter has elements of Mad Max and Tank Girl to it, but I'd suggest Ostpunk as a tentative name (borrowed from the German word "ostalgie", nostalgia for the old DDR and by extension the Eastern Bloc).
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 06:26:16 pm »

I can´t see the need to divide something into two categories based on wether it´s dark and depressing or not.

This is essentially about extrapolating the science and technology of different eras. There was a clear shift in both between 1830 and 1930, so two different genres seem fair. I´m just not sure there has been any similar leap since 1930.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 06:28:10 pm »

I can´t see the need to divide something into two categories based on wether it´s dark and depressing or not.

This is essentially about extrapolating the science and technology of different eras. There was a clear shift in both between 1830 and 1930, so two different genres seem fair. I´m just not sure there has been any similar leap since 1930.
Place your bets for 2030 Smiley the odds are good Wink
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 07:23:14 pm »

I don't really see it as division - if you think about it the two parts were present at the same time. There wasn't much of the gilded world inhabited by Poirot in the engine room of the Queen Mary, for example. It's the same as the Mechanic/Aristo characters in steampunk.
HettyB
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 08:37:21 pm »

I also don't see a need to seperate DieselPunk from DecoPunk.  Although I personally prefer the term DecoPunk due to my preferences for the beauty of Art Deco.  Steampunk / Gaslamp fantasy are two terms I love dearly that have the most minor of differences to be debated endlessly to the amusement of all.

Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 08:45:38 pm »

All I can say is, if there is a DecoPunk movement, it will Amanda Bloody Palmer's fault.
Mmm, Amanda Palmer...  Roll Eyes
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 09:17:51 pm »

I like Art Deco, but it is just a style. Diesel engines is what enabled most of the technology and breakthroughs of the time. Same as steam did for the victorian age. So dieselpunk seems a much better term.
HettyB
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 02:05:45 am »

Oh?   And those posters of those giant diesel machines created in Art Deco style are just a fluke? 

No no, darling.  Art Deco and diesel go hand in hand. 
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 03:02:31 pm »

Yes, just a fluke. What else would they have run those large machines on? Olive oil? Art Deco and diesel power might have had their heyday at the same time, that doesn´t make them related.
HettyB
Gunner

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 04:36:57 pm »

Au contraire!

The advent of diesel power brought in a new era.  These magnificent new engines were designed in a more streamlined fashion.  The "older" look of handmade and cluttered made way for smooth lines which helped to give the impression of speed.  You just can't have one without the other.

And I thought all of those bio-fuel vehicles had diesel engines in them?
Ottens
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Gatekeeper

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 08:29:22 pm »

To learn more about dieselpunk, may I suggest the following?

* The "Dieselpunk" section of my own website, The Gatehouse.

* Flying Fortress, a blog unfortunately "on hold" but with some interesting observations about dieselpunk.

* Gearing Up, another dieselpunk blog.

* Retrostacja's "Dieselpunk Chronology".
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 03:29:42 pm »

I just chose olive oil at random, though I suppose it would work well in a diesel engine.

Art Deco started as a style of architecture, which I don´t see has anything to do with diesel. Also I imagine streamlining might have happened whatever had been powering these new trains and cars.

I thought I had started a thread on Art Deco elsewhere, but I can´t seem to find it.
Mlle A. Aurantia
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 09:00:47 am »

Hippie-punk. Give it time. . .
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 12:09:10 pm »

See steampunk is an extrapolation of the scientific theories and technology of a certain past time period. Not just technology with a few odd decorations. That is the problem with the other thread about future punks, they seem to regard it as such, hence the talk of ipodpunk. I can see dieselpunk and steampunk as seperate things, due to the large change between them when it comes to science and technology. I can imagine "punks" from before the victorian age, again due to the changes in science and technology. However I just don´t think we´ve had enough of a schizm since the 1930s to really have anything new after that.
HettyB
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 03:59:37 pm »

Atterton has a good point.

Hippie-punk.  You mean like Deadheads?
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 06:56:26 pm »

I'm waiting for nostalgia and re-enacting to catch up with the early 1980s.  Then we will see Punkpunk.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Von Gast
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 09:34:14 pm »

I just chose olive oil at random, though I suppose it would work well in a diesel engine.

Older diesels will cheerfully run on vegetable oil, you do need to preheat it however as it tends to turn into a strange oozing gel at low temperatures!
OldProfessorBear
Zeppelin Overlord

Werebears RULE!

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 10:00:47 pm »

Should you tire of the endless bickering about all the varieties of -punk, drop in here, where it's all a continuum:

http://forum.retrofuturist.org/index.php

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org
Alain Raethorne
Zeppelin Captain

Browncoat and Firefly Flan

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 10:20:21 pm »

I'm waiting for nostalgia and re-enacting to catch up with the early 1980s.  Then we will see Punkpunk.

Oh crap.

Navigator aboard the AAV Raziel.

Gold is for the mistress-silver for the maid-
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade
"Good" said the Baron, sitting in his hall
"But Iron-Cold Iron-is master of them all."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: