The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 09:13:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ?how to build a laryngophone?  (Read 6516 times)
DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« on: January 01, 2009, 01:56:22 pm »

the title pretty much states the problem. any suggestions?

does clockwork dream of wind-up sheep?
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 02:59:14 pm »

Well, I assume you will need a very sensitive  button microphone, perhaps get one out of a blue tooth headset or similar?

I am sure there are other more qualified than me though, so best to listen to their pearls of wisdom Smiley

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 06:50:27 pm »

i am eager for their input, it's soon though....
Mr. Consciousflesh
Snr. Officer
Poland Poland

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:05:30 pm »

The laryngophone picks up the vibrations of the throat instead of the vibration of the air like the conventional microphone does. This is why the laryngophones are used in noisy places . If you want to make your own you should tray to use piezoelectric transducers rather than electret microphone. I think that the cheap piezoelectric buzzers are a good starting point .

The reason we chase is lost in romance.
And still we try to justify the waste for a taste of man's greatest adventure.
DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 12:14:07 pm »

The laryngophone picks up the vibrations of the throat instead of the vibration of the air like the conventional microphone does. This is why the laryngophones are used in noisy places . If you want to make your own you should tray to use piezoelectric transducers rather than electret microphone. I think that the cheap piezoelectric buzzers are a good starting point .

so i stick a piezo buzzer without oscillator to my throat, hook it up to a power source and an opamp and then try my best to amplify the signal?
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 08:44:10 pm »

Are you sure you want to make one from scratch? Throat microphones can be found commercially.. You might even be able to pick up a vintage set if you look around. AFAIK they were in service during WWII..

New ones come in all sorts of configurations.. Have a looksy here for example:
http://www.clearercom.com/preconfigured.htm

Mr. Consciousflesh
Snr. Officer
Poland Poland

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:12:32 pm »

so i stick a piezo buzzer without oscillator to my throat, hook it up to a power source and an opamp and then try my best to amplify the signal?

I actually tried this today with my scope and a small piezoelectric transducer and I was getting 10-20 mV signal from the transducer . All you need is a preamplifier with high impedance input.

Are you sure you want to make one from scratch? Throat microphones can be found commercially.. You might even be able to pick up a vintage set if you look around. AFAIK they were in service during WWII..

There is no fun in buying a working device Smiley  When you build something form scratch you have to fully understand its working principle and overcome lots of technical problems. The knowledge you can gain during this experiments is priceless even if the results are unsatisfactory .
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 02:50:39 am »

I actually tried this today with my scope and a small piezoelectric transducer and I was getting 10-20 mV signal from the transducer . All you need is a preamplifier with high impedance input.

Just to clarify (and if you already understood this, I apologize for the redundancy) you don't need to provide power to the piezo element, as it will generate its own power from the mechanical vibrations of the sound. (Of course, you will still need to provide power to the op-amp.)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 05:26:58 pm »

There is no fun in buying a working device Smiley  When you build something form scratch you have to fully understand its working principle and overcome lots of technical problems. The knowledge you can gain during this experiments is priceless even if the results are unsatisfactory .

good answer! Grin

I should instead have asked whether you're lookign for a fun and challenging project, or if you're just interested in the final product.. but I guess that's been answered now Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: