The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 01:37:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with hamster power, please?  (Read 8851 times)
DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 02:44:05 pm »

surely some mighty fine gearing could be created to step up the power

step up the torque, or the speed [mutually exclusive], but not step up the power. it actually decreases the total power output due to friction. however, it would be very beautiful.

does clockwork dream of wind-up sheep?
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 02:44:23 pm »

surely some mighty fine gearing could be created to step up the power

The power available is strictly limited to 1hp. (hamster power)

Unless you've got special zero point hamsters who can access the potential of the free energy from the vacuum.
(which doesn't exist.)

Hmm?? Hamsters as Orgone accumulators.
Pass me the crystals. (Sound of high pitched squeaky chanting.)

Dr. Q.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Mrs Van Horne
Officer

Lady Rat Fancier

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 09:19:03 pm »

love to imagine our lady rats enrolled in such an undertaking, although we have a rather large wheel due to the extensive girth of our rather portly lady, she does love to run though

hmm, zero point hamsters... perhaps an inter-universal matter-energy bridge would solve the problem, although are the hamsters skilled in astrophysics?!

20th & 21st October 2012
Steampunk Weekend at the Commandery (Worcester, UK)
on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/388026347890155/
web: http://steampunkcommandery.moonfruit.com/

Steampunk and Retro Jewellery & Accessories
~ http://ixykix.etsy.com/ ~
Member of Etsy Steam Team - Search for steamteam on etsy!
~ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ~
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 10:01:02 pm »

Yes, well.

Pan dimensional hamsters may be an amusing side discussion, but it perhaps does not help with the original posters question.

It's far too easy to digress into silliness,(I tend to do it a lot)

But, there is a serious point to be made.

Getting yougsters to understand concepts about energy is vital.

It doesn't just appear from nowhere and figuring out that it needs a source and machines to convert it from one one form to another is fundamental to a rational understanding of the real world.

Sure, lets keep it fun but a bit of real science in the mix is what's needed.

Dr. Q.

DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 10:23:36 pm »

what would you call it then? Zee-Pee-H, or Zed-Pee-H
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 10:34:13 pm »

Depends on whether the Pee H is more than seven or less.

From the smell of most Hamster cages I've ever encountered, It's definately less.

(You see , I'm doing it again.)

Dr. Q.
DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 12:51:09 am »

Depends on whether the Pee H is more than seven or less.

From the smell of most Hamster cages I've ever encountered, It's definately less.

(You see , I'm doing it again.)

Dr. Q.

it seems to me as if this discussion belongs in the helically threaded eccentric hinged topic....
Mrs Van Horne
Officer

Lady Rat Fancier

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 01:17:59 am »

Pan dimensional hamsters may be an amusing side discussion, but it perhaps does not help with the original posters question.

Yes, I quite agree, pardon my silliness! Actually my friend's son of 9 years was quite excited by the prospect of rodent energy generation when I mentioned it to him ~ perhaps another project in the offing...
Ben Franklin's Electric Kite
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Rex Libris

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 03:44:46 am »

A similar project that might be pleasing for a child, and appealling to childhood practicality: Affix the little generator and LED not to a hamster-wheel, but to an old bike drive-gear, and add a very long bike chain, with a heavish weight on one end and a stop on the other. Hang this on the wall next to the light switch by the door. Pull the chain to raise the weight as high as it will go, flick the light-switch off and let go. The falling weight will power the wheel, probably generating enough energy to run a fairly bright LED and lasting just long enough to light your way as you dash across the room and leap into bed.

With a more handsome wheel and chain and the sort of stairwell that allows a free-fall of more than one story it might run the light for a pretty decent length of time and be a fantastically steamy emergency lighting solution, allowing you to carry your mutants up to their cages without having to juggle a lighted candle at the same time.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 04:33:19 am »

A similar project that might be pleasing for a child, and appealling to childhood practicality: Affix the little generator and LED not to a hamster-wheel, but to an old bike drive-gear, and add a very long bike chain, with a heavish weight on one end and a stop on the other. Hang this on the wall next to the light switch by the door. Pull the chain to raise the weight as high as it will go, flick the light-switch off and let go. The falling weight will power the wheel, probably generating enough energy to run a fairly bright LED and lasting just long enough to light your way as you dash across the room and leap into bed.
Shocked I need this.
For a long time now I have been turning my lights off with a wooden sword I keep on the wall by my bed.
But then "how would I see in the dark to replace the sword?" I hear you say, for that I have a tiny little joule theif lamp which is 40% pipe-cleaners and attaches to the shelf near my bed by a clothes peg.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Ben Franklin's Electric Kite
Zeppelin Captain

Rex Libris

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 05:41:53 am »

I need a couple of them too, come to think of it. One for just inside the front door, where, if one comes home at night, one must walk about four steps across the room in pitch darkness and feel about on the wall to turn the overhead light on. I'm so used to it I'd forgotten how annoying it used to be. And another, just outside the same door, to light it just long enough to fit my key in the lock, a problem that is still annoying. Feeling around for a chain to pull would be a much simpler operation than trying to fit the key blind, and I never remember to waste electricity by turning the porch light on before I leave.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 05:44:47 am by Ben Franklin's Electric Kite » Logged
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 01:35:13 pm »

You can buy dynamo lights for your bike that works by putting some magnets on the side of your wheel. I´m sure that could be modified for a hamster wheel.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2009, 01:26:18 am »

Hmm... well, if you know the diameter of the wheel and the weight of the hamster, you could calculate the maximum torque the contraption could produce. If you know the maximum speed of the hamster, you can work out the maximum rotational speed of the hamster wheel. The torque figure and the speed rating together could then form the basis of your horsepower calculation, which then in turn is easily converted into Watts..

Robert Sandler
Officer

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 11:07:20 pm »

Which brings up the question as to how much hamsterpower is a horsepower.  (x hP = 1 HP)
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 07:04:19 pm »

Pardon the horrific mash-up of metric and imperial measurements..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Robert Sandler
Officer

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 07:46:41 pm »

This obviously means that I require 1000 hamsters for my horseless carriage.  Horseless, mind you, not that infernal ICE.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 07:51:29 pm »

It'd be quite the sight, I imagine.. Grin
Andrew Edwards
Officer

Tinkerer and Maker

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2009, 10:06:17 am »

what's the technical term for this type of generator? it escapes me at the moment  Undecided
and now this thread has me thinking of ways to power my new lantern using the same concept but using the gears in a small clock movement.

the lantern I made can be seen here if anyone cares to have a look
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=13221.0

"You Sir... are a fiddler crab!"
"Balderdash! I am in no way crabby... although I am quite fiddler-ish..."
-Conversation between myself and the inventor of the "crab ray". rather odd day that was.
DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 01:58:54 pm »

Pardon the horrific mash-up of metric and imperial measurements..

if you consider the wheel diameter proportional to the animals length, how many horsepower would a horse generate, in a giant wheel?
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 05:59:35 pm »

lol, you go do the math on that Tongue
DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 06:17:52 pm »

lol, you go do the math on that Tongue

i dont know the length of a horse, nor the one of a hamster, to calculate the size ratio for the wheel size, nor do i know the average speed of a horse, that he can maintain for quite some time.... the weight is equally unknown to me.... i'll happily do the math, if someone can provide me the numbers. as much as i like horses, i am an urban person, and the horses are scarce in my city.... so taking measures is out of question
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2009, 06:42:32 pm »

Hey, I'm no hamster expert either, that's what Google is for Tongue
Andrew Edwards
Officer

Tinkerer and Maker

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2009, 01:34:57 am »

I think everyone is forgetting to calculate the sheer WILL of the hamster!!! *raises fist to the sky*
*drops fist down suddenly* because if you have a lazy hamster no amount of math can predict the outcome.

realistically you'll only generate as much energy as your hamster feels like generating. doesn't mater how elaborate the gear drive or optimized the device is (although it certainly will help) if the hamster doesn't want to run, he wont.
Marrock
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2009, 01:41:52 am »

Before you

You have to
alfa1
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2009, 07:01:24 am »

One for just inside the front door, where, if one comes home at night, one must walk about four steps across the room in pitch darkness and feel about on the wall to turn the overhead light on.

A few years ago I attached a motion detector device, supposedly for use outdoors, to a low wattage light in my kitchen.
http://www.brasswings.com/images_misc/motionlight.jpg
Now, when I get up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water or a snack, a lovely dim non-blinding light illuminates the way for me automatically, and kindly also turns itself off a few minutes later.
Looks like you need one for the hallway.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: