The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 05:14:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with hamster power, please?  (Read 8784 times)
Ben Franklin's Electric Kite
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Rex Libris

« on: December 30, 2008, 03:09:31 am »

Ladies and Gentlemen:

My small cousin, who is, I believe, somewhere about the age of seven, wishes her wheel-running pet hamster to generate electricity for a science project.

Being a practical young lady, her initial idea was to charge small batteries, such as those used for any number of her toys, with rodent-produced energy. I am of the opinion that the device ought to light an LED while it is charging, or simply light an LED. I believe science-fair ribbons are more likely to come her way if it is obvious that the machine is working.

Being a young lady of great faith, she of the opinion that I can tell her how to do this. Probably I can, but at the moment I am ignorant and it would require research on my part, and in one week I must return to my graduate studies.

'Ah ha!' I thought. 'Surely some members of the Brassgoggles readership would have this knowledge, and find the problem an entertaining one.'

I would much appreciate your thoughts on how to accomplish this, preferably using readily available parts? I will happily translate your schemes into a child-appropriate plan, with keyword lists to help her begin the library research she must do herself in order to demonstrate proper understanding of the principles involved.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 03:13:27 am »

Try this or the version
on youtube

Smiley

By the by I'm moving this to the "how to" childboard if you don't mind? There's going to be lots of posts on "how to do [insert electronic thing]" by the looks of it Smiley
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 03:17:22 am by JingleJoe » Logged

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Alexander Edmund Clough
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 03:19:28 am »

Hmmm...

You might be able to do it by making a rig that holds a small electric motor above the cage and using a belt drive from the hamster wheel to a sprocket on the motor axle. Alternatively you might be able to somehow connect the axle of the hamster wheel directly to the motor spindle. (perhaps using magnets glued on the wheel to attract magnets on a matching disk that is attached to the motor spindle might work?)

Then use the power generated from the motor to power a small LED via a capacitor so you get a steady trickle of current to the LED when you throw the switch.

Not sure if the hamster will generate enough torque, but in theory it will work!

Afraid I'm a bit rusty on the electronics side of things, so perhaps a fellow forum member with more recent electronic tinkering might be able to assist with the neccessary circuit design.

So God Save the Queen, 'Cause anything is possible for a man in a top hat with a monkey with a monocle!

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 03:20:01 am »

Have it light an LED while charging, or perhaps hook up a milli-ammeter to show current flow..

(and would you not get better power output with a wombat? After all, they don't explode like chincillas  -  Grin  remember THAT thread?)

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 03:27:11 am »

Hmmm...

You might be able to do it by making a rig that holds a small electric motor above the cage and using a belt drive from the hamster wheel to a sprocket on the motor axle. Alternatively you might be able to somehow connect the axle of the hamster wheel directly to the motor spindle. (perhaps using magnets glued on the wheel to attract magnets on a matching disk that is attached to the motor spindle might work?)

Then use the power generated from the motor to power a small LED via a capacitor so you get a steady trickle of current to the LED when you throw the switch.

Not sure if the hamster will generate enough torque, but in theory it will work!

Afraid I'm a bit rusty on the electronics side of things, so perhaps a fellow forum member with more recent electronic tinkering might be able to assist with the neccessary circuit design.
This sounds good Smiley in the past I have lit LEDs by spinning a small 3 Volt DC motor with my fingers- it was from a tape deck. I don't know too much about that though, I may go and investigate it later tonight.
If you want a faster speed which you will need to turn the generator/motor faster then some kind of belt or gearing will sort that out Smiley
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 03:30:14 am by JingleJoe » Logged
Zeppelin Captain

Rex Libris

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 03:28:11 am »

Thank you, gentlemen.

I found the otherpower site's hamster-powered nightlight instructions, but thought it a little complex for her age. Mr. Clough's suggestion sounds more like it.

And of course, JingleJoe, move it to wherever is most appropriate.

Alas, she hasn't a wombat. But we can probably gear it so that the tiny hamster can do the job.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 03:37:08 am »

Belt and pulley might be your best bet for gearing, you can get some decent ratios easily..

And it goes without saying...

Cheers and good luck

Harold
Zeppelin Captain

Rex Libris

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 03:41:38 am »

Hehe. All parties agree that video must be recorded when the device is completed, lest the hamster prove fickle and refuse to run on its wheel at the science fair. I will request that she youtube it for the readership's pleasure.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 03:43:14 am »

Hehe. All parties agree that video must be recorded when the device is completed, lest the hamster prove fickle and refuse to run on its wheel at the science fair. I will request that she youtube it for the readership's pleasure.
I read that as "all pirates agree.."
Yes, the pirates agree you should make a video recording too Smiley
Marrock
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:48:02 am »

Go forth and watch "Kids Next Door", they use hamster power rather effectively in their endeavours.
KhaiJBach
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:35:02 am »

Have it light an LED while charging, or perhaps hook up a milli-ammeter to show current flow..

(and would you not get better power output with a wombat? After all, they don't explode like chincillas  -  Grin  remember THAT thread?)

Cheers
Harold

wombats? I prefer Chipmunks myself...
Julius P Shearwind
Officer

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 07:03:11 am »

http://otherpower.com/hamster.html

Plenty of good information can be found at the otherpower.com website.
Mr. Consciousflesh
Snr. Officer
Poland Poland

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 08:50:39 am »

A simple idea : look for the old 5.25'' floppy drive . The stepper motor used in them ( the square one )  is a perfect low speed generator . You will only need to put the hamster wheel on the motor's shaft and connect some LEDs to the motor's windings.

The reason we chase is lost in romance.
And still we try to justify the waste for a taste of man's greatest adventure.
chikoroll
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 09:25:22 am »

speaking of hamsters... how about this alternative?
i introduce to you, Sir Wobbles, Sword Master

DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 12:08:29 pm »

i find it  easier to work with dismantled junk, and in this particular case, i recommend using old motors. floppies, as mentioned, for example. however, i suppose best suited to the skills of a younger member of our society, is a cassette recorder deck. a lot of models are geared up and down using pullies and rubber belts, and adapting one of those should be pretty straightforward. for a full science project, a brief explanation about how motors and generators work is required.... then a couple of geeky looking voltmeters and current meters, should do the trick without being over-complicated. don't forget the led's.

if you want to go impressive, you could manufacture your own coils, [both rotor and stator], use a self-exciting siemens generator setup with adjustable distance between stator and rotor, figure out how to stabilize the power output, and use microcontrollers for data logging, power output measurements and food-ratio-calculation for the poor beast. automatic feeding with respect to the effort would be nice, with different settings, like "weight gain mode" "fitness mode" and "weight loss mode" and if you're lucky, you still got enough power to licht up an led.

does clockwork dream of wind-up sheep?
ixiana
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 01:52:42 pm »

aha, yet another fiendish scheme to enroll my ratlets into, mind you, our lady rats have an extremely large wheel (one girl is on the portly side so we have to accommodate her girth in a gigantic wheel), probably wouldnt convert too well!
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 06:46:24 pm »

On the contrary! A larger wheel would mean more space for more coils and more magnets meaning more electricity!
DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 09:04:23 pm »

and more hamsters
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 09:17:06 pm »

Whats wrong with a simple direct coupling of the wheels axle to the shaft of a motor?
If you start to build in belt drives or gears, you're just adding to the friction of the system and increasing the load on the poor rodent. Also remember that the ammount of electrical load on the system will affect the mechanical end of things too. Just don't go from open circuit to trying to boil a kettle without warning the creature or the wheel will stall and spit a small animal across the lab in little slices. I'd recommend full protective gear and crash helmet for both pilot and observers.

You'd be better off building thermo-electric generator towers, and hooking millions of hamsters into The Matrix.

"Now, do you take the blue sunflower seed or the red sunflower seed?"

Dr. Q.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 09:38:05 pm »

It seems someone has invented a hamster wheel driven paper shredder. You best get cracking.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 09:45:59 pm »

No! No! You're thinking of the paper driven hamster shredder.
fciron
Snr. Officer

Getting it hot and hitting it hard

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 10:59:25 pm »

Here is a pinwheel powered led. I am assuming that the pinwheel has less torque than a hamster. Comes with step by step instructions.  I think that the previously mentioned motor sources will work just as well as a vcr.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Wind-Powered-LED-Out-of-a-VCR/

Unless surgically removed my tongue will remain planted firmly in my cheek at all times.
DonQuijote
Snr. Officer
Romania Romania

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 07:19:03 am »

Whats wrong with a simple direct coupling of the wheels axle to the shaft of a motor?

Dr. Q.

the fact that motors require a significant speed to generate usable electricity. that of course depends on the motor you are actually using, but that  would be tha grand scheme of things
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 10:38:54 am »

Dr. Q.

the fact that motors require a significant speed to generate usable electricity. that of course depends on the motor you are actually using, but that  would be tha grand scheme of things

Have you seen them hamsters go??!
chikoroll
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 01:49:07 pm »

surely some mighty fine gearing could be created to step up the power
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: