The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:15:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Defensive Gymnastics"  (Read 1105 times)
SpringHeeled Jack
Gunner
United States United States

« on: December 19, 2008, 07:16:11 pm »

Announcing the publication of "Defensive Gymnastics" -

"To be courageous is enviable, whilst, on the other hand, to be able to conceal the absence of courage is useful." – Baron Charles de
Berenger, 1835

"Defensive Gymnastics" is a long-forgotten classic in the annals of how-to literature, compiling the Baron de Berenger's advice on
thwarting the myriad threats to life, property and morality that might befall a Victorian English gentleman.

Included are his meditations on the different modes of "manly character"; defeating street ruffians via defensive gymnastics with
fists, canes, horsewhips, pistols, umbrellas and even snuff-boxes; out-witting pickpockets and con-artists and escaping from highwaymen, burning mansions, icy ponds and maddened bulls.

The 2008 edition features an introductory biography and over 50 new photographs and drawings to complement the original illustrations. Also included is a special feature on the Baron's Stadium, an elaborate 24-acre outdoor academy on the banks of the River Thames, for training in all manner of "manly sports and defensive exercises".

Eccentric and street-wise, comic and deadly serious, de Berenger's "Defensive Gymnastics" is a fascinating glimpse into a bygone age; a wonderful gift or practical study guide for self-defence enthusiasts and Victorian history buffs alike.

Please visit http://www.lulu.com/content/4405775 for a free PDF preview and ordering information.
elShoggotho
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 04:16:00 am »

Seeing as my own defensive cane is slowly getting into shape, I might be interested. Isn't there a thread about a course during ISMAC 2009 down in Geographical?
SpringHeeled Jack
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 04:33:35 am »

Yes indeed; exactly the same source material.

A little bird tells me that the same ISMAC tutor may also be offering a class in "self defence on a bicycle", based on an early 1900s magazine article.

SHJ
elShoggotho
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 04:53:23 am »

Hm... That, Bartitsu, and some Escrima and Kali techniques, combined with my Talhoffer groundwork... could be an interesting mix.
SpringHeeled Jack
Gunner

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 05:02:58 am »

Interesting indeed.  Have you studied any Bartitsu in the past?

SHJ
elShoggotho
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 05:08:58 am »

Sadly no, but I have a few years' experience training with historical reenactors. That's where the Talhoffer groundwork comes from. We also adapted and assimilated techniques along the way. It's more of a patchwork of different sword and cane styles, based on the Talhoffer fechtbuch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: