The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 16, 2017, 11:21:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sword Cane Legality  (Read 37126 times)
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2014, 05:57:00 pm »

A friend of mine bought a sword cane..a rather  naff one,  (blade was blunt as f*ck and quality of the blade was a bit thin and wobbly) from a theatrical sale. He was transporting it home ie, carrying it, blade sheathed in the cane, and was stopped by Plod. He was nicked fpor carrying an offensive weapon and the sword cane confiscated depite my friends pleas that it was a theatrical prop he'd just bought (and had a receipt for) and was simply taking it home.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2014, 07:23:58 pm »

Mr Addams

This was directed at several posts that I removed where board members had gone on to discuss the concealed carry of firearms in their states.

I apologize, my comment was based on the existing posts, I was not aware that any had been deleted.
Herkimer
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014, 01:50:03 pm »

Let me rephrase my original comments, in a form that can't possibly offend any rational human being.
In Kentucky, a concealed weapons permit is available that would permit an individual to own, and carry a sword cane (among other things).   Is that sanitary enough?

I do not wish to create a ruckus, but I categorically deny any wrong doing. My post was in line with the general drift of the conversation.  I dare not say more.

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2014, 03:17:55 am »

I am from Australia so things might be slightly different here to your situation but I will give my knowledge in the hope that it may help you and others be aware of what to watch for.

In Victoria, Australia, swords of any type are a prohibited weapon. To possess one, you must be a member of an approved organisation. This can include knife clubs and historical organisations like the SCA. This membership enables you to possess, store and use such weapons or facsimiles provided you follow other rules. These rules include how you store and transport the weapon. They also state that it can only be used for the approved organisation. Therefore, its use for other purposes, e.g. a costume party, are not approved. If the police stop you with it in your possession, your best bet is  to show the membership card for the organisation, a copy of the laws covering the organisation and an event flyer. Even then, it is up to the police to decide whether you are using and transporting the weapon appropriately. Using it as part of costume to a party may not be allowed.

Sword canes (or swordsticks) are considered "items concealing a weapon":
a ‘swordstick’, being a cane, stick or similar article designed or adapted to hold the blade of a sword so that it is concealed from view until withdrawn from the cane, stick or article.
This is the same weapon category as a sword and would be under the same laws.

So my advice, if similar laws exist where you are, is to be careful on what you use a swordcane for. Just because you have permission to own one, you may have restrictions on how you use it.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2014, 11:46:50 am »

And despite all this I still see them sold on UK Ebay quite regularly. Usually in a very covert manner, but you can still get them here if you really want one.

I think it's like everything else of a legally rocky nature, you've got to ask yourself is it really worth it? I used to own one years ago before the laws tightened which was actually stolen. But if I still had it, as far as I know there was never a demand to hand them in so I guess I could legally still own it (although how could I possibly prove that? it's not like I had a dated receipt for it).

But it'd be the same situation as with the couple of curve bladed swords I currently own, also acquired before the laws changed. You can't take them anywhere, it's even technically a risk moving house. You can't legally sell them on either. If you get burgled what then? they are likely to go for your weapons if they're easily accessible, so you ideally need to insure that they aren't. If you don't report them stolen and they then get used in a crime, that's not good (particularly if your fingerprints are all over them).

And even if the cops recover them, how many hoops will you then have to jump through to get them back? Weapons that occupy legal grey areas like that, can become a bit of a liability I'm afraid. My advice would be avoid, unless you're a very avid collector with suitable facilities to properly safeguard them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:51:30 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2014, 01:08:29 pm »

But it'd be the same situation as with the couple of curve bladed swords I currently own, also acquired before the laws changed. You can't take them anywhere, it's even technically a risk moving house. You can't legally sell them on either. If you get burgled what then? they are likely to go for your weapons if they're easily accessible, so you ideally need to insure that they aren't. If you don't report them stolen and they then get used in a crime, that's not good (particularly if your fingerprints are all over them).

My sword collection, all legally acquired over the years now live in the loft oiled and placed in plastic bags wrapped in duvets.  Most of them I suspect are perfectly legal, some I have no idea, but I'd rather not gamble on whatever knee jerk legislation is in place at any point in time regarding displaying the things.

In the event of the Zombie apocalypse, it's all 'round to mine to get tooled up.

We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Call of Cthulhu"
CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2015, 10:49:36 pm »

hey just wondering would it count if the blade was made of wood?

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.
Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2015, 11:43:15 am »

Often its up the the constable to make that call fallowed by the magister.
Some woods actually make decent thrusting weapons and hold enough edge to cause issues.

There are a few other things you can find build into a cane or build if your cleaver.
Optical display such as french pictures or kaleidoscopes in the handle.
Fishing pole with line and assorted accessories, test tube or vials, and smelling salts or perfume.
All are easy to find in one form or another.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:00:32 pm by Wilhelm Smydle » Logged
CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2015, 04:57:37 pm »

i was hoping to have a solid ebony sword cane. ah well, thank you
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2015, 08:01:01 pm »

Some woods actually make decent thrusting weapons and hold enough edge to cause issues.
There is a wood that goes by the name of "Blackthorn" (Prunus spinosa).
Raw, it's a nasty vicious wood covered in nasty sharp pointy thorns.
Treated, it's just vicious.
Its often used for walking sticks!

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2015, 08:37:07 pm »

But it gives us sloes...... so it is the best tree in the world; )

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2015, 08:57:11 pm »

i love the idea of a sword cane made entirely of wood. ebony is reputed to be very strong
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2015, 10:26:15 am »

But it gives us sloes...... so it is the best tree in the world; )
Only for medicines in gin?
What a waste of berry's
CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2015, 10:19:49 pm »

needs some advice. i'm creating a cane that will be hollow and inside it will be a clear tube that lights up with a colour similar to an old gas lamp. would drawing it to use the light in the dark or (gods forbid against an attacker as that could ruin my light) constitute me carrying a 'concealed weapon' even if it's only true purpose was as a light for dark Saturday nights? (for when i;m out late, the streets are not friendly to a teen in top & tails)
CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2015, 10:23:47 pm »

Often its up the the constable to make that call fallowed by the magister.

There are a few other things you can find build into a cane or build if your cleaver.
Optical display such as french pictures or kaleidoscopes in the handle.
Fishing pole with line and assorted accessories, test tube or vials, and smelling salts or perfume.
All are easy to find in one form or another.

i'm putting a plastic tube in that will act as a light on dark nights, legal? (tube light drawn similar to a sword cane but not dangerous unless i was forced to defend myself in which case i'd use the light as plastic is easier to replace than the 4 pieces of wood that make up the cane body)
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2015, 12:10:05 am »

Looking at it rationally, unless the tube light can be used as a weapon in a way a cane or flashlight can't you shouldn't have a problem.

Whether an enforcer will be rational I won't hazard to guess.
CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2015, 07:49:03 am »

it would be useable in the same way as a plastic sword toy essentially, its just a plastic tube
Heckler
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2015, 03:46:04 pm »

it would be useable in the same way as a plastic sword toy essentially, its just a plastic tube

If it just resembles a cane you shouldn't have a problem, if any part of it resembles a sword then you may attract the attention of an armed response team.
CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2015, 04:18:02 pm »

if anything itd resemble a lightsaber
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2015, 06:37:02 pm »

On a somewhat related note: The highlight of a show last weekend was when a gentleman showed up using one of the steampunk canes he got from me last year and raving about it. He actually need to a cane, but liked the style as well.

CloudWolf
Officer

airship pirate

« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2015, 07:07:51 pm »

was it gadety or simply for walking aid, either way thats pretty cool maets
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2015, 01:54:05 am »

No gadgets, but rather steampunk.  Brass, copper and a torch handle.  Very strong, as he needed it and used it to lean on significantly.
Patron Zero
Gunner

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2015, 04:15:06 am »

My locality has some rather odd interpretations as what cam be considered a weapon and what isn't.

I once had an incident while attempting to enter a municipal administration building where the on-duty security officer (read not a duly empowered police agent) asked me to surrender my silver wire bracelet, such is of the 'traditional' elephant hair sliding knot style, as he declared such was a 'threat' and so banned.

With that sort of thinking providing public safety here-bouts, carrying a cane sword would result in a police action shooting.

That said, no one has ever challenged my 'right' to carry a pair of wooden chop-sticks, which if one has the training in black medicine, are much more lethal. 

"I carry the dust of a journey that cannot be shaken away....."
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2015, 06:34:54 pm »

A friend of mine bought a sword cane..a rather  naff one,  (blade was blunt as f*ck and quality of the blade was a bit thin and wobbly) from a theatrical sale. He was transporting it home ie, carrying it, blade sheathed in the cane, and was stopped by Plod. He was nicked fpor carrying an offensive weapon and the sword cane confiscated depite my friends pleas that it was a theatrical prop he'd just bought (and had a receipt for) and was simply taking it home.

I take it he didn't have a theatrical licence?
The law does state (in the UK) that as long as you are transporting it from a place of sale to a place of storage (or a theatre) then carrying it  public is permitted.
If he is(was) a theatre performer then he should have been able to order its return without paying a fine or other charges.
Rory B Esq BSc
Snr. Officer

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2015, 07:03:40 pm »

I've just looked at the Crown Prosecution Service advice on this matter, interestingly because the law bans any bladed or pointed item longer than 3 inches they advise that the best option is to base prosecution on the intentions of the person (They don't want the courts filled with people arrested for having a pencil 4 inches long with a sharp point it seems).

So how do you establish your intentions? One option would be to write them down and seal them in an envelope stating that you are transporting the item from the place you bought it to your home (or from your home to an event as a 'prop'). Such a letter should only be opened in the presence of witnesses (ideally including a solicitor) and would help to establish a defense of 'just cause / lawful excuse' as it proves that your intention was not to use the item for another purpose.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: