The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 08:57:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ultimate pocket watch  (Read 6729 times)
R J Gibson
Gunner
United States United States

Photographic Artist

« on: December 01, 2008, 05:07:01 am »

I saw one of these years ago, and was blown away.
http://www.antique-watch.com/stat/w7300.html

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 05:28:14 am »

That one there is just a fancy case  Grin - All kidding aside, there was quite the craze for watches in unusual cases in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Skulls were common, as were beetles, fruit, and other shapes. Quite often the cases were enamelled and fired. One that was quite popular was a scarab beetle watch that reveled the time when the wings were swung open..

Ulltimate pocket watches, IMHO,  would include  a Waltham Stone Mountain..

The Stone Mountain had plates made of quarzt crystal, allowing the full train to be visible. There were very few of these made.

and a Breguet 1160...

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 06:25:20 am by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
R J Gibson
Gunner

Photographic Artist

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 06:10:18 am »

unbelievable !
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:52:31 am »

I was thinking about getting one of these for my husband.

http://budk.com/product.asp?pn=14%20FTB827&bhcd2=1226723132

Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:22:55 pm »

The Breguet is absolutely mind blowing. My ultimate pocket watch is this:(warning, silly sized images ahead!)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Circa 1635. I love single handed watches, it reminds me how far we have come technologically, and also astounds me that this watch still does it's job, nearly 400 years on. Amazing.

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
MPsy
Snr. Officer

Capt. Wong Wei

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:52:39 am »

I would love a beetle shaped pocket watch.

-Captain of the Dreadful Rumor-
"We're not lost!  We're on an adventure!"

Mad Calamity Photos
http://madcalamity.zenfolio.com/

Convention coverage, shorts, interviews, and vlogs!
http://www.youtube.com/user/youknowwhaaa
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 09:47:32 am »

On that line, despite the superstition risks, I'll take one that is scarab shaped.
Kaleena
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 03:56:29 pm »

I'm pretty shy so I mostly lurk around here but I have to say that each time I see the picture of that Breguet 1160 I give a little gasp and my breath magically disappears for a moment.
Kor Greenfield
Gunner

The Clockwork Alchemist

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 04:00:57 pm »

The breuget is quite possibly the most gorgeous watch I have ever seen. I love being able to watch the parts move on my watch. That is what the truly amazing part of the watch is, anyway! I do, however, like the idea of the scarab watch, although it would be a bit more difficult to close, I think.

Normal is something we've invented to keep out the demons and Gods and magic and monsters that live just on the other side of the "normal' world we've built for ourselves.
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 02:19:27 am »

Pfft,  Color me a constitutionalist and patriot Smiley

Taken from oldwatch.com

*****Henry O.Stauffer 18 size, Centennial 1776 Bridges, 21 jewels
very nice Sterling Silver Hunting case with a sailing ship on the cover, Sterling Silver dial, with rose gold roman numerals, gold King George hands, nickel Bridge plate movement formed in the shape of 1776, micrometric regulator circa 1882 This is about as desirable and collectable as it gets. For the true lover of America this is a great watch to own. The first runs of these were made for the Centennial of 1876. A later run was made in 1882. This watch is One of only One 21 jewel version known to exist. The movement was made by Jacot, which later became Zenith. This watch is a real museum piece. $26500.00 plus S/H
(click spoiler for image)

***** English John Wilter London Digital Date Verge Fusee 43mm, keywind/keyset, Sterling Silver Repousee Pair Case, porcelain dial with date window at the 6, roman numerals beautiful full plate fusee pin plate movement Circa 1760 This watch sold several years ago in New York for $10,000.00. I found it at a parts auction and was able to purchase it for a much lower price. The savings is yours! You might never see one of these again and worth a look! $5200.00 plus S/H TRADES CONSIDERED
(click spoiler for image)

And this one is for HAC since he's a waltham fan, I LOVE 24 hour movement....

*****Waltham 18 size Waltham Sidereal, 19 Ruby jewels Correct swingout open face Coin Silver A. W. C. Co. case MARKED DOM.OBS.251 flat white enamel hand painted 24 hour Sidereal marked dial, blue spade hands, arabic numerals, lever set, Full plate model 92 nickel movement with checkerboard damaskeening, screw down gold jewel settings, diamond end stone, marked adjusted 5 positions, recessed balance, micrometric regulator (18028534) circa 1910 This watch spent its days being used in the Dominion Observatory in Canada. The Sidereal is rated to keep Sidereal time. As a side note, Admiral Perry used a Sidereal on his expeditions to the North Pole. We know that during the early arctic expeditions they had trouble with the oil solidifying in the watches. Arctic navigation timepieces were assembled without oil. Running a watch without oil can damage the pivots, or jewels...but damage is less likely to occur if you use the hardest endstone you can ...Diamond. Less then 300 total watches were ever made... and this is the only one known to have worked for the Dominion Observatory. Not for everyone, but worth a look! Oh by the way. This one will be serviced before shipment...cleaned, oiled, and adjusted to rate...or cleaned and put up dry, if you are headed to the Artic. $5200.00 plus S/H TRADES CONSIDERED
(click spoiler for pic)

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 02:21:41 am »

Ah.. the 24 hour Walthams..
I almost had a GCT Waltham 24-hour, once, I think you've given me the urge to source one...

Cheers
Harold
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 02:24:42 am »

I think if any female on the planet bought me a Henry O.Stauffer 18 size, Centennial 1776 Bridges, 21 jewels. I would have to marry them.  even if they were already married Sad

If my car was still brand new I could trade it in for that watch, honestly, I think I would do it too.. at least I would know what time to start walking to work Smiley
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:26:24 am by S.Sprocket » Logged
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 04:57:35 pm »

I would love a beetle shaped pocket watch.
They had one of those on display in the museum over here in Liverpool Smiley

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Kor Greenfield
Gunner

The Clockwork Alchemist

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 06:25:28 pm »

I love this thread. I can look at all the pretty watches I will never be able to afford!
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 06:34:48 pm »

Here's one I just finished putting together..

12S 19J Illinois

Cheers
Harold
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 12:00:39 am »

Beautiful, Harold, love the hands especially.
GypsyGurl
Officer
Australia Australia

A Dancer with Steampunk tendencies...

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 12:43:22 pm »

I am totally in love with this gorgeous beauty but just know it'll be outta my price range...  Tongue

"If you'll release restrain me, whatever you ask for ransom, you'll get it I promise you." What Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) SHOULD have said...
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 01:55:38 pm »

Shocked
You have very, very good taste. I will have to watch this auction carefully, this is my kind of watch Cheesy
Angel
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Chrome dome, goggles on, dressed all in rubber...

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 03:12:01 pm »

I think I'm in the minority here, but that Breguet, it's just... I don't know, a bit too... busy? I don't like it  Lips sealed

"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.
Skrae
Gunner

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 03:20:41 pm »

I tell you, it's not often I see online gets a whistle out of me, maybe a "Wow" but rarely a whistle.  It's beautiful, the case and the faces both.

"In his jar on the shelf of R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu lies dreaming..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: