The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 06:49:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: when taking apart a pocket watch...  (Read 13163 times)
mythdude
Officer
United States United States

« on: November 28, 2008, 08:09:42 am »

Recently, I was attempting to take apart a pocket watch I have, and must say i was rather stumped how you actually get the back off and what not...I tried prying with a small screwdriver, but as i felt nothing give i decided it would be better to find a different method than to break either the watch or the tool...help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Just as no one can be forced into belief, so no one can be forced into unbelief.
Sigmund Freud
Gaspard de Coligny
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 10:00:57 am »

Recently, I was attempting to take apart a pocket watch I have, and must say i was rather stumped how you actually get the back off and what not...I tried prying with a small screwdriver, but as i felt nothing give i decided it would be better to find a different method than to break either the watch or the tool...help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Beware... our beloved watch taliban might be around...
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 10:16:01 am »

Some backs pry off, some screw off. I'm not telling you to screw off, but the watch might be.

Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 02:24:46 pm »

Is there a nail nick that you can get a fingernail into, so that you can prise it off?

Pictures would help in deciding what sort it is.

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 02:59:56 am »

Depends on the watch.. If its new and Chinese or quartz , its probably a snap-on -  look for a nail nick in the seam. If its vintage and American, most likely its a screw on back, and should unscrew..
I refer you to:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/200805/the-horological-steampunk-episode-i

Cheers
Harold

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 03:01:42 am by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
mythdude
Officer

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 12:02:19 am »

I had no idea that it could be a screw on back...that would be why i couldn't figure it out.

Thanks
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 12:42:24 am »

No problem... (and I didn't even ask why you were taking it apart Grin )
I should really get my act together and finish the rest of those BG aryciles on pocket watches...

Cheers
Harold
Kor Greenfield
Gunner

The Clockwork Alchemist

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 03:26:58 pm »

Mine has neither a nail nick, nor does it screw off. It just snaps on and off, but the whole thing is bloody difficult to get apart. Do some of them require a blade of some kind to remove?

Normal is something we've invented to keep out the demons and Gods and magic and monsters that live just on the other side of the "normal' world we've built for ourselves.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 10:57:22 pm »

Mine has neither a nail nick, nor does it screw off. It just snaps on and off, but the whole thing is bloody difficult to get apart. Do some of them require a blade of some kind to remove?
A case knife is your friend - rounded thin bqlde, not sharp, insert into the seam and twist GENTLY..

Cheers
Harold
mythdude
Officer

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 06:44:33 am »

so my problem now is when i try to unscrew it, i get the faceplate (i dunno if thats the correct term...the part with the glass and such), but not the back....suggestions?
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 03:22:05 pm »

so my problem now is when i try to unscrew it, i get the faceplate (i dunno if thats the correct term...the part with the glass and such), but not the back....suggestions?

A photograph would definitely help...

Of my two pocket watches one has a front and back that are hinged, and the other has a bezel holding the crystal that screws on.

Once the bezel is removed the movement is hinged and will swing forward when the crown is pulled out.

Is it possible that yours does the same?  Is there a line on the case showing that the back should unscrew?

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
mythdude
Officer

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 07:45:53 am »

sorry for no picture, I'll try to get ahold of a camera...there is a line which makes it seem like the back should unscrew, after unscrewing the faceplate (bezel?) i tried to move the movement, and it did not move, although i did not use much force.
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 10:40:18 am »

Movements, in my experience, are held down by a pair of screws inside the back of the case.
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 03:36:48 pm »

I guess I should have been clearer.  One of my pocket watches has a removable front bezel.  Once that is removed there is a visible nail nick in the case under the bezel.  The crown is pulled out (as is done for setting) and then the movement can swing forward on a hinged section of case.  The movement is screwed into the case, but in a hinged section.  Some movements are held in with a single screw and a pin, but they are all held into the case.

Z.
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 03:43:11 pm »

mythdude - I suspect that the back is also a screw on - but is just a bit stuck.

Try using a bit of leather, or rubber padding to try and get more purchase. I usually hold a pocketwatch whose back I want to open (with the crystal still on it) face down in my palm and stem between my thumb and forefinger - then I can prevent the face from opening, and only work on the back.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD
Zeppelin Captain

The clockwork crusader of truth

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 03:44:54 pm »

Harold recommends wearing rubber kitchen gloves for better gripping while pressing. There's a special too for it too, but I dont see why rubber dish gloves wouldn't doo just as good.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 06:46:37 pm »

The rubber gloves trick works well, gives just enough grip for most cases. If its really stuck, or cross threaded, then you might need some of the more specialized tools. One that my wathcmaker has is a set of suction dies for his Horotec case opeinng tool. the Horotec base system is about $1000.00 and the suction dies are another $300.00 or si, but that setup willl open any screwback case, without marring or other damage to the watch. Bergeron, makes a $4.00 pocket watch case operne that looks a bit like a hockey puck with a concave fase. Its flexible soft rubber and uses a combination of friction anc suction to open cases. Its a very good gadget.

Cheers
Harold
Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD
Zeppelin Captain

The clockwork crusader of truth

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 09:16:03 pm »

I've got one of the cheap $4 ones, and it works great.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: