The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 11:03:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clocks Made of Wood, and Plans to Make Your Own  (Read 2682 times)
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« on: November 25, 2008, 04:17:02 am »

http://lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/Claytonsite1.htm

I want to try this.

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:28:22 am »

Amen to that. Next years project perhaps, time permitting.

Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
Calvin and Hobbs.
Alptraum
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:42:50 pm »

I'm working on something similar at the moment - I didn't really want to use someone else's plans as that would eliminate half the fun of it. I would have liked to do it in brass (obviously) but I don't have the tools to machine the parts.
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 11:31:43 pm »

*Snicker*
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:50:54 pm »

*Snicker*

Hmmm, that about sums it up (sounds of pitiful sobbing). Between now and Christmas I have 2 full Mk II version orreries to build, in between working six day weeks at the 'proper job'.
Blast.
And as for Mr. Aptraum wanting to build clocks out of brass, well, it'll never catch on... Buy a fretsaw, cut some teeth, it's very therapeutic!
Alptraum
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 07:52:48 pm »

speaking of which, how much would a half decent fretsaw, like a Hegner? Ideally something that wont rattle the teeth out of my skull.
Thanks.
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 11:48:16 pm »

£130, or maybe less,  should see you with a pretty decent one with quick release blade changing and variable speed control. Avoid the cheapy ones from B & Q - they're not very good....  I know from bitter experience. They do the job, but are a bit rough and ready though. Hegner are great, but you pay throuh the nose for a machine which isn't really any better than something half the price. I've got a Rexon DTS-16A, not great, but more than good enough for gear cutting - at a push it'll even do brass! Buy one, you won't regret it. 
Alptraum
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 12:48:35 am »

is that second hand? would i get a good one second hand off ebay for a substantially lower price, or is the quality difference worth getting on new? Since I am only 14, i need something that wont bother the neighbors (i live above two apartments) and that i could use without making my mum go crazy. also there is an obvious money constraint, but this is something that is well worth it.
Kaleena
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 05:17:37 pm »

Gah, I'd love to try something like this. It would have to be really beginner friendly but this would be a good start. Still have to get a workshop together but hey, this is just further motivation.
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 08:50:01 pm »

I really wish my woodworking skills were better.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: