The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 03:14:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal Gear  (Read 4521 times)
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« on: February 26, 2007, 04:51:35 pm »

Well hello there, I am Clym and the reason I'm here is because I can make these;

Well that and I'm a great fan of Steampunk and I'm a Duke of gif.

Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 06:18:34 pm »

Master Angus,

Have you ever considered making watch chains, or even (if I may be so vulgar) wallet chains, utilizing smaller gears?
I'd be the first line if you did.
Lovely work.

-HTD

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 07:42:53 pm »

You know that's a bloody good idea!

I need a length, and what parts of the chain you'd want smooth and what parts "showy" so it doesn't snag on your waist coat pocket. I was wondering what I could do with all my small cogs...... PLAN! Smiley
Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

Teslarian Electrosteam Contraptor

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 10:17:26 pm »

Original pocketwatch chains are approximately 30cm (12") long.

July 19th, 02009: Lab project delayed. Local home 'improvement' stores have apparently stopped carrying any kind of quality DIY materials... Huh
July 15th, 02009: Much progress was made today on clearing out my future laboratory, yet there is a ways to go still.
teawithsteph
Officer

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 04:34:11 am »

As gorgeous as those are I too would prefer something simpler and smaller.

A plain/simple chain with a few of the smaller gears and matching dangly earrings would be awesome.
cartertools
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 06:25:42 am »

...I too would prefer something simpler and smaller....

These are probably too simple, but I had fun making them:

And by making them I mean having my robot slave make them.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 11:34:42 am »

cartertools-- those are elegant. Of what metal are they composed?
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 01:27:47 pm »

Lovely jewelry Clym! I like the designs, especially the one in the watch casing.

I made something similar for my girlfriend a while back, albeit a much simpler design.

This is one i've been wearing for the last 7 years or so. I mean that literally...it's crimped onto me and hasn't come off once in 7 years. Smiley

The chain is the drive chain from a remote-controlled car, the gears are from an old fishing reel, and the horizontal bar across the top is a body piercing barbell with the bottom stays from bass guitar strings slipped over it.

“I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire.” - Howard Hughes
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 02:49:15 pm »

These are probably too simple, but I had fun making them:

And by making them I mean having my robot slave make them.

interesting, they look stainless, hell, they look laser cut. How did you make those fine items?
Couple of thousand and some steel 4.7mm and I could make something quite huge. Smiley

To Datamancer: Those are very nicely suspended! I have a right cow of a time stopping cogs slipping behind each other. I hadn't thought of punching more holes, great idea. The second one has a very industrial look to it.

To CP: thirty cm? I take it your talking double breasted chain? Rather than a single secured by a T bar at the button? Like this;

Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 04:25:24 pm »

Thanks! Yeah I had to play with it a little to get it hanging properly. I finally decided to double-up the link rings on the top joints to create some binding and a more solid shape, then just used single rings on the bottom gears, because they were pretty much just hanging off the top ones.

Excuse the grubby hands and dirty fingernails.

Copper Sulphate
Zeppelin Captain
Denmark Denmark

Teslarian Electrosteam Contraptor

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 06:19:35 pm »

To CP: thirty cm? I take it your talking double breasted chain? Rather than a single secured by a T bar at the button? Like this;

Well, truthfully I'm not entirely sure how chains of that length are supposed to be used, but that is how long they are (here in Denmark at least). A friend of mine sells these, both originals and reproductions, and I took the length from his webpage. I could easily ask precisely how they are supposed to be worn, since I'm quite confident that either my friend or his father will know for sure.

C.S.
cartertools
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 06:42:05 pm »

cartertools-- those are elegant. Of what metal are they composed?

They're titanium, although I also do them in sterling silver.
They are milled from flat stock on my little Taig CNC mill, using a 1/32" endmill (which is the width of the gullet between the teeth...)

Here's a blog post about how I made them:
http://mechanicalphilosopher.blogspot.com/2007/01/making-earrings-on-cnc-mill.html

Note that they are fake gears - they are not involute, cycloidal or epicycloidal in form...
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 08:22:06 pm »

Mechanical philosopher, eh?
I like it, good phrase.
teawithsteph
Officer

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 09:45:18 pm »

I like those earrings cartertools. Not too simple for me! I make jewelry sometimes myself but haven't found little gears easily available and I want 2 matching ones. I do have some neat parts from the inside of an old clock but I think they are all too big for jewelry. I in fact open the box and play with everything and even the tension strips but then shut it back up since I don't know what to do with my fun parts!
cartertools
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 10:32:59 pm »

I like those earrings cartertools. Not too simple for me! I make jewelry sometimes myself but haven't found little gears easily available and I want 2 matching ones. I do have some neat parts from the inside of an old clock but I think they are all too big for jewelry. I in fact open the box and play with everything and even the tension strips but then shut it back up since I don't know what to do with my fun parts!

You should just draw some up in CAD/vector software, print and adhere to metal and saw out (no need for a CNC machine) with a jewelers saw.

You can buy gears ready made.
http://www.bostongear.com/products/open/spur.html
http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/gbs.cfm
And many other suppliers
For watch gears, maybe the NAWCC would be a good place to start
http://www.nawcc.org/

Unfortunately watchmaking is one of those "secret" trades that tends to hide sources better than most.

If I ever get over my cold I'll finally get my article on drawing real (involute) gears up on my site...
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 12:49:40 pm »

I love the earrings, very sharp and finished looking.

Would you be up for a little for-hire work, cartertools?
I may have need of your services.
I sent you a PM with details
cartertools
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 07:27:13 pm »

Thanks! replied to PM...

I love the earrings, very sharp and finished looking.

Would you be up for a little for-hire work, cartertools?
I may have need of your services.
I sent you a PM with details
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: