The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 04:49:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not the steamiest of clocks, but now that it's running, I'm well pleased..  (Read 3097 times)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« on: November 24, 2008, 02:00:03 am »

Accutron 214 Spaceview Clock, rescued from the trash and finally restored.. Glass smooth second hand sweep, and that cheery Accutron "HUMMMM". Solid brass, to boot..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Jake krugar
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Yes i AM talking about the blue one you fool!

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 02:14:37 am »

how is it powered? it looks very magnetized!
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:20:44 pm »

Lovely HAC.

Cheery is a great word to describe the Hum too - I'll have to remember that.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 06:56:19 am »

how is it powered? it looks very magnetized!

Looks like a standard quartz movement. 'Cept those coils look big enough to make your television go funny...

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 06:53:52 pm »

Looks like a standard quartz movement. 'Cept those coils look big enough to make your television go funny...

The accutrons are much cooler than quartz movements. They use tuning forks to drive the gearing. It's really quite spiffing.
von Corax
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 06:03:00 am »

The accutrons are much cooler than quartz movements. They use tuning forks to drive the gearing. It's really quite spiffing.

Tuning forks. I knew that. (Actually, I think I did know that. "Quartz" just didn't sound right for some reason.)
K. D. R. Tempus
Snr. Officer

What could possibly go wrong?

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 07:44:21 am »

Rescued from the trash?? ::facepalm:: The things people throw out.  Undecided

It's gorgeous; congratulations on yet another spectacular restoration.

'Arthur, you have no historical perspective. Science in those days worked in broad strokes. They got right to the point. Nowadays, it's all just molecule, molecule, molecule. Nothing ever happens big.' ~The Tick
Kor Greenfield
Gunner

The Clockwork Alchemist

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 03:28:46 pm »

How does that work, exactly? (I need to get a book on clock movements... quartz, accutron, but most especially spring and chain powered!)

Normal is something we've invented to keep out the demons and Gods and magic and monsters that live just on the other side of the "normal' world we've built for ourselves.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 05:44:05 pm »

For more info on how an Accutron works, I refer you to this page, lots of good info, and it will save me a lot of typing  Grin

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/acc.htm

Cheers
Harold
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 07:06:21 pm »

I think it's perfectly steamy in a non-stereotyped way, actually.

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
von Corax
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 12:40:17 am »

Here's a question which occurred to me but a few minutes ago: To what degree does temperature impact the accuracy of this mechanism?
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 03:24:20 am »

Here's a question which occurred to me but a few minutes ago: To what degree does temperature impact the accuracy of this mechanism?

Oddly enough, not as much as one would think, I have seen timing machine graphs that suggest that a 15 degree swing in temperature would cause a 1 second per day rate deviation.
The biggest deviation in an Accutron movement occurs when the hands both pass 12:00, as the magnets of the tuning forks exert a drag on the hands. This occurs to a lesser degree, ever hour when the minute hand cross the plane of the forks. The rate slows down, speeds up, then slows down again as the magnets affect the hand. This is easily observed  on a timing machine.
It is far easier to "build in" temperature compensation into a tuning fork than into a circular balance wheel and it's hairspring. (less expansive effects due to temperature)

Gravity affects Bulova tuning forks in only 2 orientations (tines up and tines down) compared with the usual 5 positions of good quality balance wheel watches. (Dial up, dial down, crown up, crown right, crown left). The tuning forks have almost  zero positional error. A balance wheel vibrates at usually 2 1/2 times a second, whereas the tuning fork hums at 300-360 (or more) times a second, depending on the model. Modern mechanical watches vibrate as fast as 5 times a second, in an attempt to improve their accuracy by making the balance wheel lower in mass and size, thus reducing their susceptibility to external influences.

The Bulova Accutron service manual states:

"The ACCUTRON hour and minute hands are steel. On some models, depending upon the length of these hands, the tuning fork rate changes slightly when the hands are near the tuning fork magnets. for this reason, it is good practice to set both hands in the lower portion of the dial before measuring the rate of an ACCUTRON timepiece with the  Rate Recorder."

Cheers
Harold

Angel
Zeppelin Captain

Chrome dome, goggles on, dressed all in rubber...

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 02:51:11 pm »

I refuse to believe you got that from the trash, Mr HAC. It's a very, very pretty clock. Anything you can use as a reference to show scale?

I've been looking at some Accutron wristwatches but they're awfully 'spensive. There's a particularly nice one I'm eyeing up on the bay which isn't too much right now, but it has a few days left on it.

"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 04:05:37 am »

I should have taken a "before pic".. It was indeed a trash find.. I simply stripped  the old lacquer off the brass, then polished and re-lacquered. The movement was ok, just needed a service. The dial was refinisjed at a moderate cost..
  As for scale, the mnvement visible is the size of an Accutron wristwatch.
On  buying Accutrons, I;d stick with the 218 models, not the backset 214 ones (parts are gettign really hard to find for 214's), and make sure, that if you need to get it serviced, that you take it to a reputable watchmaker who has experience and traing (as well as the specializxed tools) to work on Accutrons. You really need to work on them under a 20x stereo microscope.   As an example, the index wheel of a 218 movement is 2.40mm (0.095") in diameter and has 320 teeth, each of which is about 0.01mm high (0.0004") and 0.02mm (0.0008") wide. The index and pawl jewels are perfect little square blocks of synthetic ruby, 0.18mm (0.007") square and 0.06mm (0.002) thick. Each coil has 8,100 turns of insulated copper wire of 0.015mm diameter (or about 1/2000th of an inch). That equates to about 80 meters (or nearly 90 yards) per coil. The wire is about one-third the thickness of a human hair.  Not an easy watch to repair or service, if you don;t have the tools or training..

Cheers
Harold
Angel
Zeppelin Captain

Chrome dome, goggles on, dressed all in rubber...

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 01:54:31 pm »

Has there ever been an Accutron pocket watch, HAC?

Sounds like a relatively simple build if you have the parts hanging around.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 05:12:06 pm »

Bulova did make some 218 pocket watches, and you probably could make one, if you had a case of the right size, and could make the requried spacers..

They even did a hunter style:

Cheers
Harold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: