The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:06:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocketwatch gift ideas:  (Read 1343 times)
Mlle A. Aurantia
« on: November 15, 2008, 08:27:46 am »

My captor and I are getting married in May of 2009, and I have decided to give him a pocketwatch as a wedding present. I am hoping for something that could be an heirloom for future generations of freaks, as heirlooms are a tradition that we are both sad to watch fade. Unfortunately, I know no more of pocketwatches than I have seen on Wikipedia. I have found this lovely on Amazon.com. Can anyone tell me if Avalon is a good brand? If not, could one be suggested? Needless to say, I am looking for good quality, but hopefully something under $200 if this is possible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013IV12E/ref=s9subs_c1_241_img1-rfc_g1-frt_g1-3237_p_si3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1SVHA2GX30TCAF87R5K7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383351&pf_rd_i=507846
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 07:51:02 pm »

The movement is probably Chinese, which in itself is not that bad of a thing, considering Avalon's warranty policy.  Interesting design, to boot...
The only issue I have with the Chinese movements is one of parts availability from a repair point, but if the vendor has a good warranty that shouldn't be a problem.
Chinese movements have been getting better over the last few years.

My own preference is for vinatge watches, but that's just me...

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Mlle A. Aurantia
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 09:35:59 am »

As I know even less about repairing watches that shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you, HAC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: