The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 02:44:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orrery Mark II  (Read 21049 times)
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 04:27:46 am »

I am at a loss for words to describe this build.

You are far too skilled for your own good, that much I can say Cheesy

Just lovely.

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
jleslie48
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 06:08:57 pm »

Now that my internet has finally come back on (thank you B.T., I love you...), here are, as promised, some pictures of the new one.
The big difference between this one and the last is that the Earth is now tilted, and continues to point in the same direction as it makes its way around the sun (that's what gives us the seasons, or so I'm told), and the Moon now rides on the disc below it giving it a 5 degree up and down motion as it orbits us - just like the real one. The big wooden disc under the Earth/Moon mechanism (you can see it best in the last photo) is a flywheel which keeps the movement of the mech nice and smooth. And the rocket? Well, that was added as an after thought, but looks brilliant in motion as it chases the Moon, just couldn't resist.
Hope you like it, all comments, good and bad, gratefully received.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/minimoa68/Updatepic3.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/minimoa68/Updatepic2.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/minimoa68/Updatepic1.jpg

It is still, and will always be, magnificent.   My excitement about this project must of made its way all the way to the North Pole, because apparently Santa got me a brand new dewalt scroll saw for Xmas.   Waiting anxiously for a chance to try her out...

rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 07:27:58 pm »

MM! That's stupendous!

Really nice work again my friend.

now...about your website... Wink

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
(Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes. But deserve a nice glass of absinthe. I have some Montemarte in the cabinet, if you wish.)
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 01:27:37 am »

Hello my steamy friends, for all you folk that didn't like the brunette version with the blonde highlights I posted last time, here's a true blonde version thats I've just finished and sent off to it's new home in the States. Hope you like it.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:31:43 am by Mechanism Man » Logged

Sometimes, I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has ever tried to contact us...
Calvin and Hobbs.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 02:28:23 am »

Ooh — very nice!

Do a redhead next! Tongue

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
jleslie48
Swab

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 03:09:22 pm »

Hello my steamy friends, for all you folk that didn't like the brunette version with the blonde highlights I posted last time, here's a true blonde version thats I've just finished and sent off to it's new home in the States. Hope you like it.

I don't think its a question of blonde or brunette, the issue with the brunette version, is that its mixed. if it was all brunette, as in the great earth cog and all the other gears were also brunette, then nobody would say boo.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 10:18:04 pm »

In the immoral words of James Bond, "Collars and Cuffs?"

Smiley

Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 11:52:27 pm »

I had a nagging feeling that my 'blonde' and 'brunette' descriptions were a hazardous thing to do - but as for the good Doktors comments, well, I wouldn't have thought of him as a smutty individual, until now. All my hero illusions, shattered. Now I know why he was worrying about his helmet steaming up and needing a fan to combat the issue....  Embarrassed
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 09:16:05 pm »

A bit off subject since it is better placed in the 'Brit Ebay Finds' thread, but this staggeringly pricey orrery is pretty cool.  In theory it is scratch built, perhaps one of us may recognize where the design originated.  markf   http://cgi.ebay.com/Nine-planet-Orrery_W0QQitemZ190287835756QQihZ009QQcategoryZ361QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2009, 12:12:38 am »

A bit off subject since it is better placed in the 'Brit Ebay Finds' thread, but this staggeringly pricey orrery is pretty cool.  In theory it is scratch built, perhaps one of us may recognize where the design originated.  markf   http://cgi.ebay.com/Nine-planet-Orrery_W0QQitemZ190287835756QQihZ009QQcategoryZ361QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh Mark, you beat me to the posting! Isn't that incredible! Nearly as good as MM's Wink

Joe is writing to him now, telling him to come and post about it on the forum Smiley
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2009, 02:04:13 am »

Damn. I need a bigger work shop....     Shocked
A stunning piece of work, somebody will be very pleased with their new toy I am sure.
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 07:10:49 pm »

Oh Mark, you beat me to the posting! Isn't that incredible! Nearly as good as MM's Wink
Joe is writing to him now, telling him to come and post about it on the forum Smiley

I see Joe found him and now he is one of us.  Well done indeed!  markf
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=14169.msg282234#msg282234
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 11:12:50 pm »

This finally sold for £7200....

Shocked
Miss Emilly Ladybird
Gunner

emillyladybird
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2009, 10:02:24 pm »

I both love and neeeed one of those!

Miss Emilly Ladybird
Lady Adveturer

Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2009, 10:05:55 pm »

You should have got the partwork, it's one of those very rare occasions were it's actually worth the bother!

PS: Hello, Emily, how's things?
Miss Emilly Ladybird
Gunner

emillyladybird
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2009, 12:18:28 am »

Absolutely marvelous old bean,
Just in the middle of a fabulous adventure on "twitter" and the jewellery is selling like hot cakes so dickens and Rivett are most pleased.
 Mr Woppit may not get become pie filling after all...
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 11:18:54 pm »

Good evening ladies and gents,
Hope that you're all well and full of the joys of high summer. Not been around for a while, life keeps getting busier, despite my best efforts to slow it down - having a peek at Brass Goggles is a bit of a luxury these days. Anyhow, just thought that I'd post a link to a you tube film of my latest creation. This one is bound for Canada and it's hopefully happy new owner.

This, I think, will be the last of the machines with hand cut gears. I've found a small local company that can do all the laser cutting of parts for me, so if that just leaves me to cut frames then I will be a happy man. It remains to be seen how much scorching I'm going to have to live with, but hopefully it won't be too bad and can become part of the 'look' of the finished article. Gentle sanding does seem to remove most of it on examples they showed me, but as the accuracy of cut is so good it's a small price to pay.
Just starting the next one which will have the full 9 planets (or maybe 10 if I include Ceres), so the laser cutting couldn't have come at a better time.
Take care all, and keep ticking! Dave.
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2009, 11:36:38 pm »

Smashing to have you back, MM! Lovely piece, and, to be honest, I'm ashamed that laser cutting the gears hadn't occured to me!

Do keep up the good work, and let us know what you're up to when you're able too!

Smiley
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 02:19:28 pm »

You know, if you had a digital plan of this, I could so steal it and have fun with the laser cutter at university...
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2009, 03:27:56 pm »

MM, have you thought of adding a plume of green smoke (cotton wool) with a cylinder on the surface of Mars?

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2009, 04:11:17 pm »

Ah ha, the gear files are sitting with a laser cutting company as we speak - just waiting for a quote to get 48 cogs cut for the next one. My patience for the fret saw is wearing thin....      Shocked
In the fullness of time digital plans will be available, but not just yet...
Weeeelll, not as such, but a 2001 Space Odysee version is in the pipeline... watch out for big black obelisks on far flung moons and planets, and orbiting multi spherical space ships.
Going back to War of the Worlds, there is a story just crying out for more steam punk attention than it appears to get....
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2009, 10:39:44 pm »

Hi folks,
Just thought that I'd add these pics here for you coggy fans that don't normally frequent the tactile side of the fence (where I've already posted them a week or two back) - so I apologise if these are not new to you!
The pics are of a machine I've just finished that's being used as part of limited release period horror film set in the 1930's. It's powered by a small geared electric motor that's hidden in the base, but the machine had to look like it was clockwork hence the winding 'key' that's attached to a sound effect ratchet that gives the expected clicking sound as it's wound - very satisfying!
Only 8 planets included as Pluto was yet to be discovered at the time the film is set.
This machine is sporting a full set of the fabled laser cut gears - and by god do they cut the build time down! The whole thing was completed start to finish in two weeks (and that was with going to work every day!). More time would have been nice to do a few more finishing off tasks, but on the whole it worked out just fine with all the gears working as they should straight off the drawing board.
Anyway, here are the pics. Hope you like it.

rogue_designer
Zeppelin Admiral

clockwork gypsy

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2009, 01:44:02 pm »

MM

That. Is. Stunning.

Any problems with the longer planetary arms torquing down on the post and binding (no counterweight)?
Mechanism Man
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2009, 10:32:53 pm »

Thanks Mr. Designer,
Nope, I did worry myself as it was getting bigger, but it runs really well. The motor I used wasn't exactly what you'd call beefy, but it hardly slows at all when it's driving the mechanism. The laser cut gears make a difference too, much smoother and more accurate with no binding to sort out with a needle file! Bliss...
When it gets back from the States I'll get it filmed and post it on youtube with a link from here.
Next ones got Pluto on too, as well as the complex top mechanism - so the full monty - so we shall see what happens there... No electric motor though, so at least the drive mechanism is a known quantity.
Good to hear from you, hope all is well, cheers, Dave.
tsjaikdus
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2009, 12:52:35 pm »

The laser cut gears make a difference too, much smoother and more accurate with no binding to sort out with a needle file!
Are those true involute gears? What module (size) do you use?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: