The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 09:56:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Comicbooks  (Read 26135 times)
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2007, 12:45:44 pm »

There is also a Batman/Houdini book that I have recently ordered "Batman & Houdini: The Devil's Workshop". (don't know if it is official Gotham by Gaslight series or not)

interesting twist is that because Batman meets Houdini, he doesn't have the ability to pick locks or escape.  (both of which he learned by studying the writings of Houdini in the actual Batman universe)

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
Emperor
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Divine Wind

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2007, 02:58:09 pm »

There is also a Batman/Houdini book that I have recently ordered "Batman & Houdini: The Devil's Workshop". (don't know if it is official Gotham by Gaslight series or not)

Its another Elseworlds title and isn't strictly connected to Gotham by Gaslight (like Master of the Future). However, I suspect with a lot of these in the same period setting you can probably imagine they are linked (if you can ignore the "continuity errors" as they tend to rework the backstory to fit the broader plot).

Emps

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Steampunk Collective thread
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 05:43:39 am »

I finally read The league of extraordinary gentlemen (volume one). Though i did enjoy it, i found that the scenes of mr. hyde ripping everyone to shreds were a bit generous in the gore category.

I loove the comic's nautilus however. That alone made me read this all the way through.

I wouldn't say the comic lives up to the hype however.

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
Baron Verndorf
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mad Philosopher and True Gentleman

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 06:53:59 am »

I finally read The league of extraordinary gentlemen (volume one). Though i did enjoy it, i found that the scenes of mr. hyde ripping everyone to shreds were a bit generous in the gore category.

I loove the comic's nautilus however. That alone made me read this all the way through.

I wouldn't say the comic lives up to the hype however.

Bah, that is entirely hype's fault and not LoEG's fault. People need to stop doing that. I'm a HUGE LoEG fan. An interusting fact. Look up 'League Of Extrodinary Gentlmen Backrounds' and begin reading, EVERY SINGLE THING in that book references something from the victorian ages, every backround charicter, every backround prop, every place they go, every sentance they say, is referencing something. The further you go, the more amazing it gets. But back to my original point, which was LoEG is brilliant. Um, something about objectivity and people sucking as well, but the brilliance of Alan Moore has made me forget.

You may be a mad scientist, but I am a mad philosopher.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 10:29:03 am »

I also own the "from hell" novel, and found it breathtaking.

not steampunk in the least, but quite an achievement for a "comic book."
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2007, 07:30:59 am »

Baron verndorf, LoeEG is brilliant. I have looked up it's backround. Just because something is amazing doesn't mean that i have to love it.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 12:02:03 pm »

LoEG was great, even if the literary references in the second volume got a bit too obvious.
But I do recommend the Ruse comic books, very good. The stories can all stand on their own, but are also part of a larger story arc going across the entire series. And the artwork is realistic looking, something that was missing in LoEG. Sadly the Crossgen company that made them has gone bankrupt, so they are not that easy to find. But great victoriana crime fiction with a dash of mad science and magic.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 02:01:48 am »

Nemesis the Warlock in "The Netherworlds"(?).

The story is on a planet that has been transformed by Televisual Programmes from "Old Earth" into a S.P. world.
It's where Nemesis takes on the appearance of a Victorian Gentleman. And meets Grobbledonk and Ro-Jaws for the first time.

(Art by a Mr. K. O'Neil)

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Emperor
Snr. Officer

Divine Wind

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2007, 03:15:44 am »

Good call - Mr O'Neill never turned down the chance for weird and baroque mayhem after all.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2007, 02:21:30 pm »

Nemesis the Warlock in "The Netherworlds"(?).

The story is on a planet that has been transformed by Televisual Programmes from "Old Earth" into a S.P. world.
It's where Nemesis takes on the appearance of a Victorian Gentleman. And meets Grobbledonk and Ro-Jaws for the first time.

(Art by a Mr. K. O'Neil)

Think you mean 'The Gothick Empire', where a race of not so much shape shifting, more 'pliable', aliens intercept the first radio broadcasts from earth, and model themselves on the late Victorian and early Edwardian era of the British Empire. And who can blame them.

First part drawn by Mr O'Neill, the rest by Mr. Bryan Talbot, of Luther Arkwright fame, because Mr. O'Neill, who had drawn the initial episode many years before it saw publication, had by this time been seduced by DC comics.

Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2007, 08:16:48 pm »

That's the chappy  Grin. I thank you kind Sir for setting my record straight.
Baron Verndorf
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2007, 09:26:31 pm »

Baron verndorf, LoeEG is brilliant. I have looked up it's backround. Just because something is amazing doesn't mean that i have to love it.

Hell, just because somethings shitty doesent mean you have to hate it either. I would never say you HAVE to like something, i was just putting forward that LoEG is just fricken awsome, not that you should like it Wink
Vincent M. Dantes Esq.
Officer

Draftsman of the Imagination

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 11:21:56 am »

I'm surprised that Marvel 1602 hasn't been mentioned yet. While not "technically" Steampunk, it certainly bears the themes of the genre, with its anachronistic infusion of science fiction and fantasy into the past. It is more medieval than is generally considered to be steampunk, but just look at Iron Man:

I realize that there is a term for the renaissance equivalent of steampunk: clockpunk, but I refuse to refer to 1602 as such. The are no clockwork anythings, nor anything especially DaVincian. Clockpunk is such a silly term, in my humble opinion. The lines between the two are so faint in so many places as to be completely indistinguishable, therefore I see little purpose in trying to create an even smaller niche.

Oh dear, I'm not trying to divert this conversation, so please don't attempt to debate the possible merits of the term clockpunk with me here. I merely brought it up to say that I think that 1602 should be mentioned in this thread as I think you all will absolutely love it and that it isn't clockpunk.

Sincerely,
Vincent M. Dantes, Esquire

Gentleman of Fortune by trade, Sky Pirate by nature. Habitual liberateur of all things valuable.
Maverick inventor and Captain of the H.M.S. Amaranth.
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2007, 05:32:58 am »

Being poor, I took an, ahem, questionable path to acquiring League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, volumes I and II...

I have to say, what splendid romps! However, Vol. II took an absolutely shocking and nasty turn. Wow! Someone needs to slap a X-rating on that portion of the story, shouldn't they?

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
Jessica Butcher
Gunner

Wannabe Time Traveller

« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2007, 02:22:56 am »

On the subject of steampunk comics, I'm writing one!  Grin hopefully it will be up somewhere on the internet in a year or two.

~WWND: What would [Captain] Nemo do?~
cthulhu_spawn
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2007, 08:20:38 pm »

i wrote/drew a five issue comic series called "wilderemere" which had various steam punk themes. here are a few covers and some steam punky bits:

its all about this town which is ground zero for a device which falls upon their shores, melding universes together to create frankenstein-esque reality of many odd eccentric inhabitants. the device sits undisturbed upon the beach, and they draw their energy from it, its kind of alice in wonderland meets 1984. yeah..
after five issues i decided to write the rest as a novel, then decided to write the whole thing as a novel so subsequently the series was never finished as a comic. did pretty well, and then i decided comics were going to be the death of me..moan groan...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:25:20 pm by cthulhu_spawn » Logged
Elwood
Officer

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2007, 11:30:31 pm »

I'm surprised that Marvel 1602 hasn't been mentioned yet. While not "technically" Steampunk, it certainly bears the themes of the genre, with its anachronistic infusion of science fiction and fantasy into the past. It is more medieval than is generally considered to be steampunk, but just look at Iron Man:

I realize that there is a term for the renaissance equivalent of steampunk: clockpunk, but I refuse to refer to 1602 as such. The are no clockwork anythings, nor anything especially DaVincian. Clockpunk is such a silly term, in my humble opinion. The lines between the two are so faint in so many places as to be completely indistinguishable, therefore I see little purpose in trying to create an even smaller niche.

Oh dear, I'm not trying to divert this conversation, so please don't attempt to debate the possible merits of the term clockpunk with me here. I merely brought it up to say that I think that 1602 should be mentioned in this thread as I think you all will absolutely love it and that it isn't clockpunk.

My God, thats fantastic! I've never read this, but I might have to just to see Iron Man in action. I love running into these cool reinterpretations of superheroes, they're so much fun.

I sorta agree with the clockpunk thing, I only really it as a viable term/genre if it goes all out to make it stand out from steampunk, and create some really fantastic stories. Ya know, Da Vinci secretly inventing some of his fantastic gadgets, including a few clockwork beauties that got left out of his notebooks. Tales of conflict and intrigue between Italy and it's enemies, secret societies, clockwork constructs, and perhaps in the background an early pioneer in steampowered technology. If we had a few of those then clockpunk would be more then worthy of it's title.

I think Alan Alda put it best when he said,
"If I can't get the girl, at least give me more money."
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2007, 09:05:47 am »

What I don't like about that one is that when it was released the creators wrote a press release, where they claimed to come up with the title "Steampunk". I and a few other people replied calling them out, and just got mobbed by fanboys lol.

This is precisely the reason I didn't like using the term Steampunk for a while, I thought it was in reference to the comic, and not its own thing...but Ive since changed my mind. The comic does have some cool Victorian elements to it that I like, but for the most part it doesn't feel like true Steampunk as I see it.

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
Baron Verndorf
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2007, 08:45:46 am »

i wrote/drew a five issue comic series called "wilderemere" which had various steam punk themes. here are a few covers and some steam punky bits:

its all about this town which is ground zero for a device which falls upon their shores, melding universes together to create frankenstein-esque reality of many odd eccentric inhabitants. the device sits undisturbed upon the beach, and they draw their energy from it, its kind of alice in wonderland meets 1984. yeah..
after five issues i decided to write the rest as a novel, then decided to write the whole thing as a novel so subsequently the series was never finished as a comic. did pretty well, and then i decided comics were going to be the death of me..moan groan...

Dear lord man! Is there anything you CANT do?
Doctor When
Zeppelin Captain

Proud to have been the first Steampunk in The Chap

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2007, 12:53:08 pm »

Am I the only one who's read Neil Gaiman's: Mr. Hero, The Newmatic Man?

Yes, this is one of the formative productions that nudged me in the direction of SteamPunk.

I assume the ladies, gentlemen and automata of this forum are familiar with this little gift from Dark Horse?

Impress the Telegraph-Link here.

Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!
cthulhu_spawn
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2007, 09:07:18 pm »

Dear lord man! Is there anything you CANT do?

lets just say i just want people to like my work, and so i keep trying. and when i fail, i get up dust myself off and start again! did i tell you the time i spent £18,000 on my own action figure line?
that was a bloody nightmare. anyone want a free toy? i have 2000 of them left!! (laughs manically)
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2007, 10:41:47 pm »

Am I the only one who's read Neil Gaiman's: Mr. Hero, The Newmatic Man?

Yes, this is one of the formative productions that nudged me in the direction of SteamPunk.

I assume the ladies, gentlemen and automata of this forum are familiar with this little gift from Dark Horse?

Impress the Telegraph-Link here.

Ah yes, Mr. Egington and Mr. D'Israeli's fine adaptation is amongst my favorites- with the follow up of 'Scarlet Traces' (strangely published before their WotW adaptation) continuing the quality (the second volume 'Scarlet Traces: The Great Game' is also worth a look, even if it slightly confusingly has the 1930s looking more like the 1950s- society's development being sped up by the high technology left by the Martians perhaps?). Hopefully they will continue with this- although their 'Leviathan' and 'Stickleback' have Steampunk credentials, and are well worth seeking out.
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2007, 10:46:53 pm »

lets just say i just want people to like my work, and so i keep trying. and when i fail, i get up dust myself off and start again! did i tell you the time i spent £18,000 on my own action figure line?
that was a bloody nightmare. anyone want a free toy? i have 2000 of them left!! (laughs manically)

As a sometime toy-maker (Simpsons action figures, Dr. Who toys, etc., etc.) I am intrigued by this snippet- do tell!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:17:05 pm by Herr Döktor » Logged
cthulhu_spawn
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2007, 11:25:54 pm »

the words "complete and utter waste of time but dream come true nonetheless" come to mind..
still at least i didnt spent 18 grand on heroine x
Herr Döktor
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2007, 11:28:48 pm »

the words "complete and utter waste of time but dream come true nonetheless" come to mind..
still at least i didnt spent 18 grand on heroine x

Always grateful for small mercies! Smiley

PS: You could try marketing them as small collectable Art Toys, like those wierd little bunnie things with printed bones and whatnot...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: